Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: keyless ignition, keyed gas cap, why?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: keyless ignition, keyed gas cap, why?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »
I don't think there is anywhere near as much fuel theft, especially from bikes (smaller amount) as there was, seems more common for people to stick false plates on a car and drive away without paying with 80litres of fuel at a time, you only have to walk around the average supermarket car park to find several cars with broken filler covers and non-locking caps, easier and bigger potential gain.

Theft of bikes is more common as even the biggest can be bundled into the back of a van, but that's a different issue.

There are a number of difficulties involved in arranging a mechanical link to release a mechanical lock inside a bike's filler cap, space constraints and having to unfasten stuff when taking off the tank for a service for starters, most central locking systems in cars are a combination of electrical solenoid locks and minimal mechanical linkages. I'm not saying it's impossible to make an ATEX & IP67 version with a direct acting solenoid in the filler cap, fuel pumps are an obvious example of similar, but does all the work and complexity involved justify it, not for me, no, it's just another excuse to bump the price up.

Perhaps a small tank bag for your energy bars and other junk and leave pockets clear, I have one pocket for house and bike keys and one pocket for wallet and mobile phone, or I just chuck everything in a rucksack in the topbox (apart from the key you're gonna need to unlock the topbox obvs)  :008:

And anyhoo, energy bars/ drinks with their instant sugar rush and dips aren't a particularly good idea on a long ride, better off stopping somewhere for a coffee and light snack  :001:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline PatM

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCA 2017
  • City / Town: Maidstone
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 06:31:30 AM »

As to security, I am surprised by the numerous posts on this forum talking about protecting the bike from all types of threats. Granted I would not leave my bike with a key available or without locking it in a strange neighborhood, but you guys in Europe and England seem to have a real issue with people messing with your bikes. Is really that bad? I mean, ya I wouldnt go to south central or East LA and leave my bike, but for the most part, it's pretty safe around here. I can't remember the last time I heard of anyone stealing fuel, even from a car. If it is that bad, you need to start weeding out your bad guys, somehow. :192:
[/quote]

Yes, its bad over here in England, especially in the Cities. I had my 2010 BMW R1200GSA 'lifted' and never saw it again- Yes, it was locked and yes, it was fully loaded with all my kit for work in the 3 panniers. It sort of ended my commuting days-my annual mileage dropped at least 20k a year because before this happened, I was a high-mileage rider for work and work-sponsored bike-but work folded when the concern was sold to the Jerry's.

My latest XCA has keyless and I've not had a problem with it as I was so used to stopping, main-standing, removing gloves, usually dropping one,  fishing for wallet in jacket, putting card in the petrol-pump, screen telling me to put loyalty card in first, unlocking tank- and finally filling up. So, using a key on the tank is a 3rd world issue Ill live with!

One final anecdote to do with Petrol filling. (this time it was on a BMW R1200 GS 2006)- NOT A GSA with the bigger tank/range.

I got called to a meeting 200 miles away a few years back-so I fuelled up, did the meeting, most of the journey raining and afterwards, wet gear back on (retrieved from panniers) and head back home. I got to the service station and the lock on the petrol cap was seized! So, I brought a tin of WD40 and soaked, waited and no-it wouldn't free up. Bllx...how the hell do I get fuel into the tank? Well, on those early BMW's-there was 6 torx-head screws around the filler cap-so I went back into the service-station and thanks to the Lord-I managed to buy a 'screwdriver' set which had the appropriate 'bits' to remove the filler-cap and fill from the orifice.

The later BMWS don't have the screws...but if you ride all year around, you will get the same problem I had, without doubt!
Patrick J Morgan

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Since I started this thread, I have installed a billet thread on fuel cap, no lock. Much better, no messing around for keys to open. Remove tank bag, unscrew cap and fuel. Anyone who wants the info on this accessory, let me know and I will provide the company and contact info. I tried to download a photo, but it tells me that the file is too big.  :084:

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 11:18:40 AM »
Since I got this bike I habitually put the key in my left jeans pocket, on its own. As such I've not found this to be an issue. I always know where the key is and can get at it easily.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
Did the same.
Still, WE have to find workarounds to adapt to a feature that THEY decided to add (for no benefit, at least to me).

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Did the same.
Still, WE have to find workarounds to adapt to a feature that THEY decided to add (for no benefit, at least to me).

Meh, I quite like it (but I haven't had my bike not working for weeks). It's of limited benefit, sure. But I do like just getting on and hitting the starter after paying for fuel or other short stops. I didn't have an alarm fitted though - having to get the fob out every time to disable the alarm would remove all of what is a fairly small benefit in the first place.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 02:53:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Zeebad [+]
I do like just getting on and hitting the starter
I WOULD like too.
But before hitting the button, I have to switch the "key" on, then disarm the alarm, so the advantage seems really remote (pun intended) to me.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 05:49:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
Ok, 3500 miles and i'm already tired of digging around in my jacket pocket for a key when i refuel. what's even worse is i saw a KTM adventure bike with fob style gas cap, opens when the fob is near. So to make it short, i contacted a outfit "slingshot racing" and ordered one of their billet gas caps (no key). Easy to install and looks fairly decent. $49. before shipping out of San Jose, california. I believe the part number is GCTx2 for the silver version. don't know if this has been discussed before, so i figured i mention it. :152:
Nice looking cap, might just have to try it, thanks. 
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Recent Topics