Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 18987 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Rowey68

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
  • Country: Uk
2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« on: June 03, 2018, 02:34:19 PM »
I have a 2018 1200 xrt and as of Friday it’s gone back to the dealer to check out what I believe to be unexceptable amount of engine heat, it even smells like it’s cooking. I purchased this bike with the intention of doing long miles and have a 2k + trip to the Black Forest at the end of June which I am now dreading.I would be interested to hear if any other 2018 model owners are experiencing anything similar.
As a comparison I currently have a courtesy tiger sport which I took out yesterday (22c) for a 150 mile ride and felt no heat apart from the sun on my back

Offline guiri

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 70
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
  • Country: UK
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rowey68 [+]
I would be interested to hear if any other 2018 model owners are experiencing anything similar.

Up until now I've not noticed (I bought the bike when temperatures were close to 0C earlier in the year), but you might have jinxed it for me as I've started to feel the engine getting hot (and the fan coming on) when riding around town. Coolant temperature looks ok on the dash. This is in air temperatures above 20C. It could get uncomfortable for extended crawling in traffic (although I try and avoid that on the bike). Difficult to know if it is "normal" or not. Will be interested to see what the dealer says.

Cheers
guiri

Offline Rowey68

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
  • Country: Uk
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 02:53:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by guiri [+]
Up until now I've not noticed (I bought the bike when temperatures were close to 0C earlier in the year), but you might have jinxed it for me as I've started to feel the engine getting hot (and the fan coming on) when riding around town. Coolant temperature looks ok on the dash. This is in air temperatures above 20C. It could get uncomfortable for extended crawling in traffic (although I try and avoid that on the bike). Difficult to know if it is "normal" or not. Will be interested to see what the dealer says.

Cheers
guiri

Here’s to hoping I haven’t jinxed you🙄 I’m confident the dealer will happily tell me everything is fine

Online FredJ9

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 328
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 03:56:29 PM »
I can all but guarantee your dealer will tell you everything is just fine. If the engine checks out, which it will, there is nothing they can do for you.
Do a search here, it’s been talked about for a while now although the jury’s still out in the Gen3’s.
It seems to be about tolerance and gear. We are not all the same for sure.
I feel your pain. I live in a desert climate so it’s real for my ‘15 too.

Online glenn389

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
  • Country: UK
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 04:12:45 PM »
Got to say that I think mine is warm too. I suspect it it just "one of those things". Obviously more noticeable when the weather is hot and at town speed when the fan kicks in.

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3673
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 04:21:51 PM »
The 2nd and 3rd generations where given different bodywork to redirect airflow away from legs. But if there is no airflow (city riding) then you are bound to feel more heat.

My solution is layering. I wear riding pants over jeans or microfibre pants or even silk weight long underwear. The layering helps insulate against the heat and provides sweat management. I have ridden in temperatures up to 102 F. If  I only wear jeans (in town) I am much more aware of the heat on my legs.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Rowey68

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
  • Country: Uk
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
I was aware that earlier incarnations suffered heat issues, I had naively thought these would have been resolved,  what really concerns me  is that it smells like something is burning, I even think one of my coolent hoses has either melted slightly on the cylinder head or is a result of wear, either way very disconcerting for a bike barely 3 months old

Online FredJ9

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 328
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
That burning smell is just your hams ;)

Offline Rowey68

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 30
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
  • Country: Uk
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 06:06:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
That burning smell is just your hams ;)
😂

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3673
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 06:17:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rowey68 [+]
I was aware that earlier incarnations suffered heat issues, I had naively thought these would have been resolved,  what really concerns me  is that it smells like something is burning, I even think one of my coolent hoses has either melted slightly on the cylinder head or is a result of wear, either way very disconcerting for a bike barely 3 months old
Give us some more info. How hot was the air temperature at the time you smelled burning? City or highway or stuck in stop-and-crawl traffic? For how long? The number of bars showing on the temperature display at the time? How many miles on the bike? Was first service done or other work?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

 


Recent Topics