Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Thinking of selling ?  (Read 2383 times)

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Thinking of selling ?
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2020, 03:56:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
How are you finding the Himalayan?
I am quite pleased with it. I put about 3000 miles on it in January. A friend trailered it down to Phoenix for me and we rode down to Cabo San Lucas at the end of the Baja peninsula and back. A comfortable, capable little tourer. Had it off-road a bit on gravel and some sandy beach roads (although most roads in Mexico are somewhat off-roadish even if they are paved). A bit of a handful in the sand, but it was loaded with luggage for a three-week trip and I am a dirt bike novice. Of course, it could use some more power, but once you retune your expectations you can settle into a pleasant pace. I traveled with two DR650's. For the money spent it is a great bike. And it is easy to work on.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline knapdog

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Barry
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2020, 04:24:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I am quite pleased with it. I put about 3000 miles on it in January. A friend trailered it down to Phoenix for me and we rode down to Cabo San Lucas at the end of the Baja peninsula and back. A comfortable, capable little tourer. Had it off-road a bit on gravel and some sandy beach roads (although most roads in Mexico are somewhat off-roadish even if they are paved). A bit of a handful in the sand, but it was loaded with luggage for a three-week trip and I am a dirt bike novice. Of course, it could use some more power, but once you retune your expectations you can settle into a pleasant pace. I traveled with two DR650's. For the money spent it is a great bike. And it is easy to work on.

Excellent.
There was talk of them putting the 650 twin in it but ad an owner of a RE Classic 500 I love the sound of the single thumper even if you can't keep up with your mates.
It's certainly perfect for the roads Itchy Boots has been travelling on.
Having been without my cb1300 since last October due to a slide ( my insurance pay out finally came through a couple of weeks ago) I'm still looking.
For long distance adventures on many road surfaces I think the Himalayan would be perfect, particularly at the price.
Still serious about the Tiger XRx Low with Quickshifter and aux lights. For starters you have to have a good looking bike. The Tiger 1200 certainly is amongst many other things.
Every bike is a compromise and nothing is perfect but the Tiger is my choice at the moment.
Btw, this was my cb on my Spanish trip last year. I loved it but it's time to move on..

You'll note I didn't have any panniers. The bag I had on the pillion seat was ample. Three weeks away and enough pants, socks, shorts, t-shirts, a pair of smart trousers and a couple of nice shirts all packed away nicely with the top box for my helmet and waterproofs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 04:39:33 PM by knapdog »
Stay between the hedges!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2020, 05:05:08 PM »
I put Givi racks on the Hima so that I can move my hard bags back and forth between it and my TEX. If I got more serious about leaving the pavement, I would likely consider soft bags hung over the Givi racks.

Here is the Hima in Mexico.

BTW, there are apparently no plans to put a 650 twin in the Hima frame. That motor is huge and the Hima is fairly heavy already.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 05:33:22 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2020, 11:02:11 PM »
BTW, there are apparently no plans to put a 650 twin in the Hima frame.

Correct from what I've heard. Rumour is (if it happens) a 650 Himalayan would be an off-road version of existing 650 frame.

Online Jaeger

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2020, 02:18:24 AM »
I put Givi racks on the Hima so that I can move my hard bags back and forth between it and my TEX. If I got more serious about leaving the pavement, I would likely consider soft bags hung over the Givi racks.

Here is the Hima in Mexico.

BTW, there are apparently no plans to put a 650 twin in the Hima frame. That motor is huge and the Hima is fairly heavy already.

How safe did you feel in Mexico?
Cheers.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2020, 03:07:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jaeger [+]
How safe did you feel in Mexico?
Cheers.
Baja California (north and south) are relatively safe compared to the mainland. There are a lot of police and military checkpoints, but they are generally not an issue. The people are friendly and work very hard to make a living. Seems like everyone has some kind of little business. Having said that, theft is common so look for accommodations with a safe place to park your bike and don't leave anything on the bike overnight. And stay off the roads once it gets dark. At night, it is generally safe to be out and about in the main town areas.

We had no issues on our trip. One night we stayed in Bahia de Los Angles, which is quite isolated. A police truck pulled into the motel parking lot and asked if we were missing a motorcyclist. We said no. He was investigating a report that there was a biker in trouble north of the town. A couple of hours later, two trucks pulled into the motel, one police and one military. They had gone out and searched in the desert and located a guy from California on an R1200 GS who had crashed his bike on some rocks and knocked a hole in one of valve covers, so the bike wasn't rideable. The group of military and police lifted the bike into the back of their truck, and then they all brought the biker and bike back to the motel and cheerfully unloaded the bike and with smiles, shook hands with everyone and went on their way. 

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2020, 03:13:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Correct from what I've heard. Rumour is (if it happens) a 650 Himalayan would be an off-road version of existing 650 frame.
I think that RE commissioned a couple of customs built by another company, but have stated that they are not planning to pursue it.

Online Jaeger

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Christchurch
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2020, 04:09:22 AM »
Baja California (north and south) are relatively safe compared to the mainland. There are a lot of police and military checkpoints, but they are generally not an issue. The people are friendly and work very hard to make a living. Seems like everyone has some kind of little business. Having said that, theft is common so look for accommodations with a safe place to park your bike and don't leave anything on the bike overnight. And stay off the roads once it gets dark. At night, it is generally safe to be out and about in the main town areas.

We had no issues on our trip. One night we stayed in Bahia de Los Angles, which is quite isolated. A police truck pulled into the motel parking lot and asked if we were missing a motorcyclist. We said no. He was investigating a report that there was a biker in trouble north of the town. A couple of hours later, two trucks pulled into the motel, one police and one military. They had gone out and searched in the desert and located a guy from California on an R1200 GS who had crashed his bike on some rocks and knocked a hole in one of valve covers, so the bike wasn't rideable. The group of military and police lifted the bike into the back of their truck, and then they all brought the biker and bike back to the motel and cheerfully unloaded the bike and with smiles, shook hands with everyone and went on their way.

Thank you for your reply. :002:

Recent Topics

nonskid