Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 19148 times)

DesertStrom and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Rowey68

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 06:43:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Give us some more info. How hot was the air temperature at the time you smelled burning? City or highway or stuck in stop-and-crawl traffic? For how long? The number of bars showing on the temperature display at the time? How many miles on the bike? Was first service done or other work?
I noticed the burning smell after a short run to the shop and back no more than 10 miles round trip, ambient temp would have been 22c approx, not stuck in traffic , the bike has done  2000, temp display was normal, first service done at 600 miles

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 06:46:26 PM »
The newer models are slightly better for heat issues than older models, from what I've read, but to be honest, I've never had any problems. Being in Alaska, however, I'm always wearing good motorcycle pants, so it might not be the issue it is down in warmer climes

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2018, 07:47:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rowey68 [+]
I noticed the burning smell after a short run to the shop and back no more than 10 miles round trip, ambient temp would have been 22c approx, not stuck in traffic , the bike has done  2000, temp display was normal, first service done at 600 miles
I get the most heat stuck in traffic. It can go to six bars on the TEMP gauge with the cooling fan running. I sometimes get to five bars in light to light traffic in temperatures above 22c.

I would be most interested in the burning smell. Can you give us more indication about what it smells like? I have had a hot coolant smell that was traced to a coolant dripping down on the engine block due to a slack hose clamp.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »
I always wear either; leather pants, textile over-pants, or an Aerostitch Roadcrafter suit.     

Dressed as such and living in hot southern California, I've neither felt unreasonable heat on my Gen1, nor on my Gen3.   

:821:
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline AndrewNZ

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Richmond
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 10:12:13 PM »
I've ridden in 33 degrees here with my MKI & MKII without a problem it get hot but that is not necessarily from the bike although in those temperatures it runs a little hotter. Your not ridding in shorts are you?  :016:  :164:

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 12:01:56 AM »
*Originally Posted by AndrewNZ [+]
Your not ridding in shorts are you?  :016:  :164:

Maybe it's time for him to quit riding in his favorite leopard-print thong???      :005:     :745:
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Offline travlr_45

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer xcx
  • City / Town: Savannah
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:59:28 AM »
It does get hot in city driving. No so much on the road.  I've got a gen 2 XCX and so far it's not so bad. Have ridden in temps hovering around 90 or so.  To be honest, once it goes into the mid 90's I don't do that much riding.  Mostly early morning breakfast rides or something like that.  Usually home by noon.  Some occasional rides to the mountains on a few wknds during the summer.  Grandkids and the boat usually get 1st choice when its that hot.

Online Gazza13

• Explorer Member
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »
This heat issue has been talked about ever since the Gen 2 Tex came out
and they can't all have a problem I would think.
I have a 2013 Gen 1 and have ridden in Europe in temps up to 35C.
Even here in Scotland when it gets above 23-24C, which isn't very often,
it can get uncomfortable at times but my mates have the same problem
and none of them has a Tex. Even if you have a 25k Goldwing when it rains
you're going to get wet, all part of motorcycling. :084:

Online NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »
I second Gazza's comments.
Had one '12, one '14 and now a new '18.
All of them seem the same heat-wise: hot (but bearable) when stationary in hot weather, normal in every other situation.

As for the smell, it's always noticeable when it's raining. The crap and surface treatments dissolve then evaporate under the action of the hot engine.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
As for the smell, it's always noticeable when it's raining. The crap and surface treatments dissolve then evaporate under the action of the hot engine.
I agree that there has been lots of discussion about whether or not certain people's TEX's are hotter than others and about quantifying how hot they actually get with heat gun measurements. However, this is the first that I can remember, that anyone described a burning smell that went with it.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics