Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 25854 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline FredJ9

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 435
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
Now one thing I did notice is that I could smell gas a little in the stop and go traffic.  The fuel in the tank was boiling a little (when I stopped at home I turned off the bike and could hear a bubble once in a while) so if I was stopped a little would waft up to my nose.   

Wait a second....I hear the gurgling sound quite often after a ride in hot weather. I just assumed it was the cooling system. I'm going to need to check by putting my hand on the tank, I'm sure I'd feel the boiling.
My '15 Gen1 was purchased new this past February.

Offline vsteel

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 316
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
If the tank is full you will be able to see the fuel ripple or if you open the gas cap you can hear it better.   

There are not enough of the fumes to cause any real issue other than smell.  I do prefer that though to my GEN1 where I didn't smell any but sometimes in traffic the evap system would try and swallow the vapors too fast and kill power.  Nothing like being in the middle of traffic and the bike wants to die on you. 

I swapped out the BMW at one year, sure bad financial move but so totally worth it.  The bike was fine, though I do like the Tiger better, it was the dealer that killed it for me.  The sales side of them is a Dr. Jekyll while service is Mr. Hyde.

 

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4187
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
By the way a Tiger apparently loses $6000 in six months.
Unfortunately, this is probably the least surprising aspect of the discussion.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4160
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
  • Country: France
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2018, 11:56:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Wait a second....I hear the gurgling sound quite often after a ride in hot weather. I just assumed it was the cooling system.
Same here, and I traced the noise down to the cooling system (between the radiator and the expansion tank).
I would be very surprised (and alarmed) that the fuel boils inside the tank!

Offline Hawk281

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 174
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »
Final story, after looking at my XCA, I was told that there was nothing wrong with it and that the resulting heat was normal. I was told that I could take the bike in and test it against another one, to see if was an issue with just my bike. I told them that they would have to do put miles on both bikes to get the results that have been mentioned, which I doubt that a shop is going to put mileage on a new bike for test purposes. So I guess we are done. That is until, I write a scathing letter, email to someone further up the food chain. It will make me feel better. 2019 BMW is coming out with a bigger motor GS, Ill look at that one. :110: :110: :151:

Offline Hawk281

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 174
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2018, 05:25:44 PM »
Just to clarify my last remarks, I am not upset about the bike or the lack of repair. It is the fact that the reps are apparently blind to a common complaint and their standard answer is I never heard of that problem. Be honest about it, that is all I ask.

Offline Griff

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3111
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
  • Country: Ireland
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2018, 06:33:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
Final story, after looking at my XCA, I was told that there was nothing wrong with it and that the resulting heat was normal. I was told that I could take the bike in and test it against another one, to see if was an issue with just my bike. I told them that they would have to do put miles on both bikes to get the results that have been mentioned, which I doubt that a shop is going to put mileage on a new bike for test purposes. So I guess we are done. That is until, I write a scathing letter, email to someone further up the food chain. It will make me feel better. 2019 BMW is coming out with a bigger motor GS, Ill look at that one. :110: :110: :151:

Could You take out a demo model and put sufficient mileage on it on the day to compare with your own ? 

Offline Hawk281

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 174
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2018, 07:24:32 PM »
The shop does not have a demo model, unfortunately. Besides, according to the master computer, the bike is running within parameters. Also,others have complained regarding this issue, so it is not just my bike.  :110:

Offline jaiyenyen

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 168
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
  • Country: canada
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2018, 09:40:56 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
The shop does not have a demo model, unfortunately. Besides, according to the master computer, the bike is running within parameters. Also,others have complained regarding this issue, so it is not just my bike.  :110:
I have a 2017 XCA with about 10,000 miles on it now. I have rode in temperatures around 104 degrees and had no issues with the heat. It is true many do complain but others do not. It is strange that the bikes could vary so much as to heat issues.

Offline Slaine

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 74
  • Bike: Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
  • Country: Germany
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »
Today with coolmax long undergarments and my biker jeans, no problem with heat, so maybe that's a good tip?

 


Recent Topics

nonskid