Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 19152 times)

DesertStrom and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
However, this is the first that I can remember, that anyone described a burning smell that went with it.
If it's in dry weather, yes it's a first case.

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2018, 12:45:35 PM »
I've had a T800, Sport and a Tex and the complaint is the same on all three when the sun comes out to play (more especially in the hotter US States), the Sport may be a little better, but not that much, the smell is rainwater and crap thrown up on the radiator, I first noticed this on an Africa Twin 650cc (1988 model) that I had about 13-14 years ago (first bike with a radiator).

I did two all day rides round the Gloucester, Forest of Dean, east side of the Brecons in May in glorious sunshine, on my Tex, yes it gets hot, but not to the point it causes me any discomfort.

I also wear leather trousers, so maybe they act as a bit of a heat guard  :027:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline TonyTiger1215

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Pemboke Pines
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 12:55:46 PM »
My 2012 did heat up a bit, but I was told to use engine ice and it did work lowered the heat a bit where its no so bad now. And here in Florida we have 2 seasons Hot & Hotter.... :152:

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 02:32:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by TonyTiger1215 [+]
My 2012 did heat up a bit, but I was told to use engine ice and it did work lowered the heat a bit where its no so bad now. And here in Florida we have 2 seasons Hot & Hotter.... :152:

My previous long distance bike was a '04 Ducati ST3. Engine Ice and a switch to turn on the radiator prematurely helped somewhat. I also replaced the five blade plastic fan with a six blade aluminum fan which moved a lot more air. Flipping that switch "before" things got to hot was a benefit for sure.
My concern was not myself but for the bike.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 05:54:46 PM »
I've done just over 5k miles now on my 2018 XRT and have had no heat issues. I did the NC500 up in Scotland the weekend before last when it was scorching up there whilst thundering down south. Got stuck in 16 miles of single lane traffic on the A82 on the way home when it was 27c, hardly being able to filter - I could feel the heat off the engine, but it was by no means unbearable. I commute into London and get stuck in traffic lots too, on the few days when it's been scorching I've still not had issues with engine heat.

There's either a flaw in some 1200's that makes their engines run way hotter than others, or some of us are able to tolerate way more heat more than others. My money is on the former.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 07:09:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
There's either a flaw in some 1200's that makes their engines run way hotter than others, or some of us are able to tolerate way more heat more than others. My money is on the former.
This has already been explored here:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,15117.0.html

There is no quantifiable proof, at this point, that some Explorers run hotter than others.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2018, 03:41:17 AM »
I have been riding around in 90F (32C) and I have not had any excessive heating issues on my GEN3 XRt.  No different than any other bike I have had.  I don't feel any excessive heat that I would call abnormal. 

As said before you will get a funny burning smell when it rains, mine smells like rubber.  When it rains the small rubber bits from the car tires gets on the headers and cooks a little.  It goes away quickly once the roads dry. 

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 09:29:50 AM »
As mentioned by some others, I think the effect is mitigated by textile riding gear. While I have only experienced a "balmy" 23 Deg on my XCa here is Ireland I have had no heating effect at all on my Gen3. If this was a problem I think I would look to some sort of loose textile pants rather than a tighter fit jeans/thin leather.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 01:15:34 PM »
My 2016 Gen II also gets very hot in really sunny days with temperatures around 24 to 29"C
A few weeks ago it was so extreme that I could not touch the petrol tank with my bare hands :110:
These days I avoid riding in my mesh pants and just put on my normal textile riding gear.
According to the dealers there is is already some kind of insulation under the tank, but what I last saw on pictures of the underside it is just some thin foam.
I will try to get some special heat protection foil or something like that and have that installed.
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 01:19:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger T.O. [+]
A few weeks ago it was so extreme that I could not touch the petrol tank with my bare hands :110:
That sounds dangerous.

Recent Topics