Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 40157 times)

Mpaiva and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger T.O. [+]
I will try to get some special heat protection foil or something like that and have that installed.
Don't you fear that it could impact heat dissipation of the engine?

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 08:02:27 PM »
The radiator fan has to work just a little bit harder, anything is better then a boiling tank between your thighs  :013:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2018, 05:28:41 AM »
I should mention I am riding with just blue jeans.   Nothing special, just normal denim.   The GEN3 doesn't have any heat for me (or nothing more than any other bike I have ridden and less than the air cooled ones. )

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2018, 10:53:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I should mention I am riding with just blue jeans.   Nothing special, just normal denim.   The GEN3 doesn't have any heat for me (or nothing more than any other bike I have ridden and less than the air cooled ones. )

Same here, just blue denim jeans. Actually, my old oil cooled Bandit 1200 used to get WAY hotter than my Gen3. Those bikes would get HOT!

Offline Rowey68

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »
As I think everyone guessed my dealer gladly informed me that all was how it should be with the bike and there was no excessive heat coming from the engine . This morning I thought I would ride to work but as soon as  I sat on it i noticed a lot of heat around my shins, I put the bike on the center stand and got on the floor to have a look whilst the bike was running only to find hot exhaust blasting from the join in the pipe, I also notice that the carbon bracket holding the arrow can does not hold it rigid and I think it’s the movement at said bracket that is causing the join to work loose.
I was able to have a look at a friends 2016 tiger xrx and his can and pipe are completely rigid, I would be interested to hear from other xrt or xca 2018 owners with arrow can to see if they feel the bracket does not hold the end can sufficiently

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 12:16:46 AM »
My Gen1 with Arrow can is solid. I bet the can was disturbed during shipping or not installed correctly.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Battlestar

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XCA
  • City / Town: Durban
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 05:07:01 AM »
Greeting all. Has anybody removed the CAT from there machines? If so did the removal have any effect on the heat radiating off the bike? The cat is also a major source of heat so it's removal just may help a little. I feel the heat but just live with it.

Offline Rowey68

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 06:43:07 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
My Gen1 with Arrow can is solid. I bet the can was disturbed during shipping or not installed correctly.
Is your arrow can mounted with a carbon fibre bracket?

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Rowey68 [+]
As I think everyone guessed my dealer gladly informed me that all was how it should be with the bike and there was no excessive heat coming from the engine . This morning I thought I would ride to work but as soon as  I sat on it i noticed a lot of heat around my shins, I put the bike on the center stand and got on the floor to have a look whilst the bike was running only to find hot exhaust blasting from the join in the pipe, I also notice that the carbon bracket holding the arrow can does not hold it rigid and I think it’s the movement at said bracket that is causing the join to work loose.
I was able to have a look at a friends 2016 tiger xrx and his can and pipe are completely rigid, I would be interested to hear from other xrt or xca 2018 owners with arrow can to see if they feel the bracket does not hold the end can sufficiently

I think you've hit the nail on the head(er) there, if exhaust gases are leaking under the bike you are really going to feel it on a 1200. I have a carbon fibre bracket holding my exhaust too, but it is completely rigid. I'm not leaking any gases either.

Looking forward to hearing what the dealer has to say!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:14:53 AM by nuttySweeet »

Offline Rowey68

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2018, 12:32:00 PM »
At last the problem is resolved :046: took the bike back to the dealer to show them how the pipes weren’t clamped securely and that the exhaust air was venting directly onto my legs, I also voiced concerns over the rigidity of the exhaust system ? After waiting an hour or so I was called into the workshop where they informed me that the arrow can had not been installed correctly from the factory and was not fully inserted by about 30mm , unfortunately now they have corrected it I am left with marks on the arrow can from the original clamp position and the paint on the main stand has been chipped through its failure to connect with rubber  bumpstops, these items are gonna be replaced under warranty
I am relieved to get to the bottom of my issue but am less than happy that the dealer did not detect this fault during last weeks visit , I have a nice health check printout from them where it clearly states that that the exhaust system is fine! And that the 10 mile testride indicated no abnormal temperature felt by technician! :157:

Recent Topics