Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 40385 times)

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2020, 09:00:07 PM »
I still find it strange that my 2017 XCA is not uncomfortable to ride at all. No heat issues ever. You would think all the bikes would be the same.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2020, 11:03:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by jaiyenyen [+]
You would think all the bikes would be the same.

The bikes probably are.......it's likely the riders that vary   :164:

But I would add local climate, traffic conditions, riding style & rider apparel to the variables.

Offline jaiyenyen

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: courtenay bc
« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2020, 02:24:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
The bikes probably are.......it's likely the riders that vary   :164:

But I would add local climate, traffic conditions, riding style & rider apparel to the variables.
I have rode in 33 degree temperatures wearing just blue jeans and a leather jacket in town and on the highway, no problem.

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #303 on: March 19, 2020, 03:05:22 AM »
 :008:
*Originally Posted by knapdog [+]
Sorry, that's what I should have said. Apologies.
No apologies needed, I tend to be a little pedantic.  :008:
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline utahrpm

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '17 XRX
  • City / Town: SLC, UT
« Reply #304 on: March 21, 2020, 04:36:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Even tho' it might seem a bit of a simplistic solution to engine heat I know some KTM owners use these https://www.coolcovers.co.uk/ to great effect - and they make them for our Triumphs for £65.

They have been mentioned before on this forum. Maybe someone can comment on how effective they are on an Explorer/Tiger 1200?

I am one of the “complainers” regarding excessive heat on my ‘17 XRX. When trading in my 2013 Explorer I had the opportunity to ride both my Gen 1 and soon to be mine Gen 2 back to back in the same temperatures (94 degrees F.), on the same route, in the same riding gear (ATGATT). The Gen 2 was noticeably hotter at all speeds. Stopped, the heat rolled up under and into my full-coverage helmet. I bought it anyway and rode away, my thighs burning in full coverage textile pants. Last season I installed the Cool Cover and on the first hot day noticed that the heat on my thighs was much more tolerable. Because I was no longer sticking my knees out into the breeze my thighs remained tucked against the seat, blocking much of the heat that previously was reaching my torso. So, a win for me. I’d still prefer the reduced heat level of my Gen 1, but it is what it is and the Cool Cover made a noticeable improvement. I did try my mesh pants with the Cool Cover but felt noticeably more heat with them compared to my non-mesh textile pants.

Recent Topics