Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 19145 times)

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #200 on: September 04, 2018, 02:14:55 PM »
Last week I took my Gen II XRT to the dealer for them to cover the underside of the gas tank with heat reflecting foil and try to do something against the annoying vibrations between 4 and 5 K RPM.
And as the gas tank was off plus time for my annual oil change and with almost 24.000 kms on the clock, they advised me to do the 20K service.
I include some pictures they made.

As a loaner bike I got a nice 2018 1200 XCA :001:
I hate to admit but it really feels lighter and more nimble than my bike, quickshifter is a big plus and the brakes are just fenomenal :028: Minus points: the keyless start/stop/lock procedure and having to tap all my pockets for the keyfob for filling up the gas tank :004: the feeling of the left hand switches.

Next day collected my bike and was told that 2 valves were a little tight, but according to the mech the main improvement came from the adjustment of the cam chain.

Anyway, my bike is now running better and more smooth than new and vibrations are a lot less :152:
Already done 600 kms, unfortunately the really hot days are gone, but with rides around 20 degrees C my gas tank doesn't heat up that much anymore.  Happy bunny  :305: :001:

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:23:19 PM by Tiger T.O. »
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #201 on: September 04, 2018, 02:47:30 PM »
Did they or were they able to block any of the air coming into the front seat, using that material. What kind of hours did they charge to install the materials. Any chance you have a digital thermometer that you can get a temp reading off the tank after riding for a couple of hours. Just curious. :152:

Offline CanadianTEX416

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 T12 XCA
  • City / Town: Cold Lake
« Reply #202 on: September 05, 2018, 12:40:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
Did they or were they able to block any of the air coming into the front seat, using that material. What kind of hours did they charge to install the materials. Any chance you have a digital thermometer that you can get a temp reading off the tank after riding for a couple of hours. Just curious. :152:

https://www.amazon.ca/010396-Reflect-GOLD-Tape-Roll/dp/B0039Z5TYU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536104506&sr=8-4&keywords=gold+heat+shield

i ordered some of this stuff, gonna install it myself, its easy as sh#t to do, taking the tank off is the hardest part and its really not that bad either as ive discovered looking at the triumph manual. i did it on a car that i helped turbo as the heat probably would have melted the hood paint

be a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a dealer to do it, its a very good product too, theres a video of them taking a torch to it, it screws it up a little but it still does its job, and the engine doesn't get as hot as a blow torch
2018 Tiger 12, XCA

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #203 on: September 05, 2018, 01:51:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by CanadianTEX416 [+]
https://www.amazon.ca/010396-Reflect-GOLD-Tape-Roll/dp/B0039Z5TYU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1536104506&sr=8-4&keywords=gold+heat+shield

i ordered some of this stuff, gonna install it myself, its easy as sh#t to do, taking the tank off is the hardest part and its really not that bad either as ive discovered looking at the triumph manual. i did it on a car that i helped turbo as the heat probably would have melted the hood paint

be a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a dealer to do it, its a very good product too, theres a video of them taking a torch to it, it screws it up a little but it still does its job, and the engine doesn't get as hot as a blow torch
kinda of what i had in mind as well, waiting till i get to 10,000. got about 2000 miles to go till i service the bike.

Offline Tiger T.O.

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 16 Cranberry Red XRt
  • City / Town: Loosdrecht
« Reply #204 on: September 06, 2018, 12:59:41 PM »
Totally agree with the above, but as I don't have the skills nor the tools to do do this and wanted having something done about the vibrations, I decided to leave it to my dealer  :002:
I took in total 8,5 hours, and included also the re-torquing of the engine bolts.
Anyway I'm very happy with the results  :028:
There are two kinds of people, those saying the glass is half full and those saying the glass is half empty. But the world really belongs to the ones that say “That’s not my glass! My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!”             Terry Pratchett  R.I.P.

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37:30 PM »
Ok, beating a dead horse about engine heat. I have not made any comments about the issue for a while because I decided to give another idea a try. I wanted to block the airflow going under the tank and front seat. I was worried about possible fire hazard (dont mind me Im just a little paranoid some times), so I was looking for soming I could shove under the gap between the frame and the rear of the fuel tank. So as I dug around in my piles of motorcycle parts, I found some four stroke exhaust packing. As this stuff is fire proof and compacts fairly well, so I cut a strip about 3 inches wide and 18 inches long. Pushed this strip under the back side of the tank, around the sides and behind the side panels. I did this just prior to a trip I had planned to Pikes Peak, Colorado. The trip was a bust, due to snow, very low temps and a lot of rain.
But the packing seemed to work, the seat stayed cool, I was unable to feel any hot area coming up from between the seat and the fuel tank.  I even turned on my seat heater at one point, cause it was cold! Now I know that some will say that the abient temp was lower so the heating of the engine would be diminished, but I belive that blocking the air flow did help. So my next plan is to remove the tank for maintainence and see if I can form some this material around the top of the motor to redirect the heat/air. We will see. :084:

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2018, 12:10:43 AM »
Just to add the opposite slant...
Recently I rode a couple of days that got to 38C on my Tiger1200.  First warm weather it has seen.  I was fine, the bike was fine.  Travelling at 100-110km/h.

The only discomfort I had on my trip on earlier days, was at a bit lower temperature, with side wind.  The breeze past the motor was heating up my downwind side leg somewhat.
I just moved my leg out a bit from time to time.  -I was wearing kevlar-lined 'draggin' jeans.

So my opinion is that only some T1200 bikes suffer from excessive heat.
I'll know more about the behaviour of mine by the end of summer, but so far, happy with it.  (I haven't moved or removed any OEM wind deflectors.)

Offline Vin829

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: San Jose, CA
« Reply #207 on: October 12, 2018, 04:11:42 PM »
I just picked up a new 2018 Tiger 1200  I traded in my 2017 BMW R1200GS. I don’t feel any excessive engine heat compared to my BMW. After owning the BMW for a year I can honestly say that bike is way over hyped. I coulded wait to get rid of it. Just a boring engine and transmission.

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
« Reply #208 on: October 12, 2018, 04:15:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Washington DC with temps over 100F and the humidity was close to 100% --  It was so hot that the escalators in the DC rail transit system were shutting down due to thermal overload

I remember that!  It was a disaster!  The people in DC were trapped on the escalators for hours! 

Offline 13volunteer

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
« Reply #209 on: October 12, 2018, 04:44:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Hawk281 [+]
It is the fact that the reps are apparently blind to a common complaint

Rest assured they aren't blind to anything.  Triumph is a corporation and all that matters is the bottom line (and the complacency of the shareholders).  As long as the bike is selling in acceptable numbers Triumph Inc is unconcerned with the issues.

Recent Topics

nonskid