Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 33900 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Benchmark

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 119
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
  • Country: England
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #250 on: July 13, 2019, 07:43:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
For what it's worth, I spent almost a month on a rented 2017 R1200GS riding in 31C ++  temperatures in southern Africa in May and had no perceived engine heat problems at all on that bike, even in traffic jams at midday. If you are really looking to make a change, then try one of those.

*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Of course. No water cooling, no fans. But they do overheat and stop working in mid summer heat if you are stuck in traffic. You gotta keep moving to keep the boxer cool... I've also seen them overheat and cutoff on dirt under abuse 😂

Since 2012 the boxer engine has been water cooled, also moved to a wet clutch  :038:

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4510
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #251 on: July 13, 2019, 11:52:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
Of course. No water cooling, no fans. But they do overheat and stop working in mid summer heat if you are stuck in traffic. You gotta keep moving to keep the boxer cool... I've also seen them overheat and cutoff on dirt under abuse 😂
No longer. The current (R1250GS) and the previous generation (R1200GS) are water cooled and have been for years. The radiators are at the front of the fuel tank, ducted to point outward at an angle.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 355
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #252 on: July 14, 2019, 01:19:06 AM »
I don't know if the current year is fully water cooled or not but I know the previous water boxers still rely on air cooling a lot.  It isn't a full water cooled system, it is more of a 50/50 system. 

Offline Icy

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2162
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #253 on: July 14, 2019, 01:48:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
No longer. The current (R1250GS) and the previous generation (R1200GS) are water cooled and have been for years. The radiators are at the front of the fuel tank, ducted to point outward at an angle.

At their best implementation, they were 20% oil cooled, then they tried to do water cooling and I believe they are at 25% water cooled and that's it. The design of the boxer engine makes it impossible to 100% water cool it. The best they could do was limit the amount of oil it burns along with fuel significantly. It still does, but you no longer need to learn to boot-cap-open trick  :018:

*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
I don't know if the current year is fully water cooled or not but I know the previous water boxers still rely on air cooling a lot.  It isn't a full water cooled system, it is more of a 50/50 system. 

Still the same. As long as it's boxer, it cannot be 100% water cooled. Unless they make it even more complicated and finicky than what it currently is to the ire of the rest of the panzer-waffen  :008:

One of the BMW Motorrad dealers in Minnesota is a friend of mine - I'll ask him the inside scoop of the latest model's water-cooling ratio when I get a chance.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:52:03 AM by Icy »
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4510
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #254 on: July 14, 2019, 05:54:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
One of the BMW Motorrad dealers in Minnesota is a friend of mine - I'll ask him the inside scoop of the latest model's water-cooling ratio when I get a chance.
No overheating boxers in our group in Africa. I believe that the days of boxer engines overheating in traffic are long gone. There is not much in the way of cooling fins on the current models.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline XCaTel

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 930
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
  • Country: Ireland
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2019, 08:46:42 AM »
On an unusually hot day of 28-29 Deg C (unusual for the UK) crawling through town traffic in Dorset my old 1995 Triumph Daytona it melted the glue that held the rubber sealing pieces onto the paper air filter. White goo was dripping out of the airbox, I was totally perplexed at the time and more than a little concerned. Big internal combustion engines right between your knees, there will be no escape or solution to a certain amount of heat depending on the climate. If it is too much for you and you find it unbearable it is time to just change your bike.

Offline Icy

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 2162
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2019, 03:26:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
On an unusually hot day of 28-29 Deg C (unusual for the UK) crawling through town traffic in Dorset my old 1995 Triumph Daytona it melted the glue that held the rubber sealing pieces onto the paper air filter. White goo was dripping out of the airbox, I was totally perplexed at the time and more than a little concerned. Big internal combustion engines right between your knees, there will be no escape or solution to a certain amount of heat depending on the climate. If it is too much for you and you find it unbearable it is time to just change your bike.

👍👍👍
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline FredJ9

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 471
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
  • Country: USA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2019, 03:07:12 PM »
Or don’t ride when it’s so darn hot.
The older I get, the more practical I become. Just like many of you who store their bikes for the winter, I just ride in the mornings when the forecast calls for extremely hot temps.

Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4510
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2019, 04:42:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
Or don’t ride when it’s so darn hot.
The older I get, the more practical I become. Just like many of you who store their bikes for the winter, I just ride in the mornings when the forecast calls for extremely hot temps.
Yeah, but sometimes you just gotta go somewhere (or get home) so it just isn't an option to 'stay out of the kitchen'.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline tkdtime

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 1
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger XCA
  • Country: United States
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
I bought these ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQX4625/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 based on a recommendation from another forum. The heat was so bad, I seriously considered taking the loss on the tiger to trade in on a different bike.

I mounted them on my 2018 XCA where the bottom of the radiator bolts to the support struts on either side.  They helped tremendously in keeping the heat from the radiator and exhaust headers from flowing up my legs.  I still feel the heat radiating off the engine itself, but the heat from the front of the bike is effectively being deflected.  It made a world of difference for me.

 


Recent Topics

nonskid