Author Topic: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat  (Read 79793 times)

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Pro
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 XRt
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
Re: 2018 tiger 1200 unbearable engine heat
Reply #360 on: July 29, 2021, 04:36:53 PM
I've never had a problem with the engine heat on my Xrt.  I do ride in some pretty hot and humid weather, but minimize pleasure riding when it gets into the 90s.  That's nothing to do with the engine heat, just the overall comfort level even off the bike while outside in those temps.

I would offer one suggestion to improve the heat issue.  I have noticed that mine is noticeable cooler if I run it without a tank bag.  The Triumph bag on mine blocks a lot of air.  Nice when it's cold. Not great when hot.  Not sure if that will help with the engine heat specifically, but increasing the overall airflow should help some.

Silly Harley rider......Don't you know that Tigers eat hogs?

Offline Crazy Kev

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCa: '88 Gsxr
  • City / Town: Johannesburg
Reply #361 on: August 10, 2021, 09:49:20 AM
  I have noticed that mine is noticeable cooler if I run it without a tank bag.  The Triumph bag on mine blocks a lot of air.  Nice when it's cold. Not great when hot.  Not sure if that will help with the engine heat specifically, but increasing the overall airflow should help some.
[/quote]

That is interesting and I will try that on my next hot day ride. I ride with a tank bag all the time :033:
Will give feedback on that later.
“A long ride…A little more laughter, A little less worry, A little more kindness, A little less hurry.”

Offline Ital

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Zielona Góra
Reply #362 on: August 10, 2021, 10:24:12 AM
I bought and fitted deflectors for my Triumph today. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but for sure I will do it today or tomorrow. We will see if it really works :084:

Offline Crazy Kev

• Explorer Member
Reply #363 on: August 10, 2021, 10:38:27 AM
*Originally Posted by Ital [+]
I bought and fitted deflectors for my Triumph today. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but for sure I will do it today or tomorrow. We will see if it really works :084:

:467:Great. Please share the results. WE are moving into spring here in SA and I am not looking forward to roasting my inner thighs this summer. :155:
“A long ride…A little more laughter, A little less worry, A little more kindness, A little less hurry.”

Offline Daddy-O

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
Reply #364 on: August 11, 2021, 12:50:59 PM
After an exhaustive search on the net, I finally found a partial solution to the heat problem that materially improved my riding experience.  Nearly overwhelmed by the blast furnace around the legs and tank, I seriously considered ditching the bike, even though new.  A company called Free Spirits makes air deflectors, easy to install, about $100, that improved my heat situation between 50-60% depending on riding style, ambient air temp, wind conditions and the like. They are sturdy, made out of powder-coated metal and appear largely well-thought out. The deflectors basically distribute the heat down and to the outside of the bike where it can more easily be cast away by air turbulence as the bike moves forward. Presently the heat is forced to rise back from the motor and heats up the tank, under the seat, and comes up between the spaces in the frame where riders rest their legs. Essentially creating a convection oven effect in the riding "cockpit". Check them out at:

https://www.freespiritsparts.com/en/triumph/news/air-deflectors-for-triumph-tiger-1200-vin-740277-up.html

The design of the right side deflector is much better and eliminated nearly 75% of the heat on my leg in my estimation; the left not so good but still reduced heat by about 40-50%.  It's difficult to do a proper scientific test so my numbers are educated guesstimates; you results may vary.  I tested on an 80 degree day and the heat was now easily bearable where before I would have parked the bike.  The next couple of days will afford the opportunity to test in 90 degree plus weather, so I will see how that goes.  But the deflectors made a HUGE difference and they were well worth the money.  My only complaint is the underwhelming design of the left deflector which should have been better.  Also, the right deflector seems to add a bit of additional wind noise, but you have to focus on it to even notice at all.  But I am still much happier and far more comfortable riding now.  If you have the heat problem, you might want to take a look-see at this part.

Offline Crazy Kev

• Explorer Member
Reply #365 on: August 11, 2021, 02:08:49 PM
Thanks Daddy-O
Have seen these posted earlier in the thread, but you are the first that I can see that has hauled out your well-earned cash and made a purchase. Your results seem encouraging, so I will make an effort to look closer at these. Cheers mate :467: 

Offline Daddy-O

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
Reply #366 on: August 11, 2021, 02:57:44 PM
Sure thing, Crazy.  If you get a set, I would be interested in your results.  Also any thoughts on how to improve the left side deflector.  I am going to contact the company at some point to see if improvments are in the works.  I will report back if something looks promising.

Offline Crazy Kev

• Explorer Member
Reply #367 on: August 12, 2021, 06:47:07 AM
Will follow this with interest Daddy-O, and post feedback when I can. :169:

Offline Ital

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Zielona Góra
Reply #368 on: August 12, 2021, 08:15:25 AM
After a few days of waiting, today is the right temperature for testing. After work, I sit on my motorcycle and go looking for the sun (like never before  :138: )

Offline Crazy Kev

• Explorer Member
Reply #369 on: August 12, 2021, 01:29:18 PM
 :467:Excellent Ital, Let us know how they work. I can order on line but at our exchange rate and import taxes, this will not be cheap for me, so I would appreciate as much feedback as possible.

nonskid