Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear Brake pad wear  (Read 2191 times)

Online Deep6blue

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
Re: Rear Brake pad wear
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 10:14:49 PM »
Just replaced the rear pads at 15k on my gen2 XRX.

Offline Teealb

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Munich
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:15:35 AM »
I just had to replace my rear pads at 11,500km.  Does seem odd that they go through 'em so quickly.  Got the bike from a dealer who was using the bike as a demo and as a hire bike :305: :005:. So history is unclear.  However, I replaced OEM with EBC HHs.  Hopefully as good if not better than OEM.
Previously owned: SS50, RD125DX, YDS7, Katana 550, FJ1200, SV650S, TL1000S.

Offline wrinkley

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Beverley
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 02:52:08 PM »
Under 6K miles on my Gen2 rear pads.

Offline Quinnster

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: West Moors
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
The Triumph mechanic at my dealer mentioned rear pad wear as an issue especially with the 10k service intervals. He says they don't last the full 10k so I bought a set but did actually get to the service without actually needing to fit them. Did get caught out with the rear caliper getting a bit " sticky" due to pistons getting affected with road crud as I ride all year round.
My solution now I have experienced this is to just keep an eye on them and I prefer taking the caliper off as I can see the pads better this way.

Chris

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2018, 12:53:23 PM »
My Gen 1 went in for its 10K service yesterday...I decided to have it done a bit early at 7.5K miles as I have a long trip planned in the near future so it made more sense to ensure everything was ok.  The bike was declared fit and healthy all bar one issue...rear brake disc wear!  I've not had the bike long and was told that it was most likely as the previous owner had run the pads down to the metal, something Triumph say is common in bikes under 10K miles old.  Triumph give the minimum safe service wear limit as 4.7mm for rear brake disc thickness and apparently mine was 4.4mm. Previous owner had renewed pads prior to sale and now I know why!

However, Triumph then quoted me £154 for the disc, £26 for new disc bolts, £39 for rear pads and £75 labour to fit. Labour is fair enough as rear pipe has to be removed along with wheel, caliper needs cleaning up, new pads fitted, disc removed and hub thoroughly cleaned up before fitting new disc.  I'm not at all happy at their parts prices though as I can import a genuine upgraded Brembo rear cast iron disc for £40 less than I was quoted for the OE one (which isn't as good a spec), and can get EBC HH sintered pads for just £21. Looks like I'dd be doing the job myself as I'll save over £100 doing that.  I measured the disc out of curiosity and it varied between 5.2mm and 4.82mm.  I used a vernier gauge but wasn't able to get into the trough areas where the disc had a little more wear in places, but overall felt that it was still good and safe for another 1K miles at least.  I'll replace the pads and disc then.

My older Trident 750 was excatly the same. I used to have to replace rear pads every 5K miles on that.  The disc should last many thousands of miles though so I suspect they were right and previous owner must have neglected to change worn pads in time to save excessive disc wear.

Offline Fuze

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2018, 05:30:48 PM »
Gen 1 2014: I changed the original pads at 54,000km 
When I put in the new pads I noticed  drag on the rear caliper.  The brakes were bled, a small bubble came out (The abs was also bled *thanks T800XC for tigertool V2.5! *).  The drag was gone, the pistons retracted as they should.

My riding style is very easy on rear pads, but a tiny amount of air in the line can increase wear in the pads.

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 09:51:13 PM »
I reckon thats not bad mileage for a set of pads - riding style will have an impact but all my Triumphs can bind their brakes if not properly maintained. If you use a pressure wash and ride all year then a full strip and rebuild of all calipers is needed on an annual basis. Pads will wear out rapidly otherwise :002:

Recent Topics