Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 3 Brake Judder  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
Gen 3 Brake Judder
« on: June 08, 2018, 12:26:40 AM »
My Gen 3 with 5000 miles on at 3 months old has high spots on the front discs causing brake judder which as you can imagine is a little concerning. Sent photos to the dealer and have to take it in next week for them to have a look.  :012:

Fingers crossed they will be replaced under warranty.  :084:

Anyone else had brake issues on their Gen3?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: Gen 3 Brake Judder
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 09:33:42 AM »
Mine is in for its first service (1,000 km). Nothing wrong with this excellent package of braking power.

I had a sad story with my '08 Tiger 1050. Front disks warped, replaced under warranty THREE times. That's when Triumph realized it couldn't be a bad batch of rotors. So they replaced the whole front rim (under warranty) and everything went fine for the remaining 50,000 km I rode with it.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »
I've done just over 5k miles now and no brake judder. Only thing I've noticed is my near side rear brake pad is wearing twice as fast as the other. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow as it looks like my piston is sticking.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »
5050 KM on mine, no brake issues to date.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:33:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by nuttySweeet [+]
I've done just over 5k miles now and no brake judder. Only thing I've noticed is my near side rear brake pad is wearing twice as fast as the other. I'm going to take it to the dealer tomorrow as it looks like my piston is sticking.
Wow! Stuck piston at 5k miles?!
Do you commute in mud or something?
(c;

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Wow! Stuck piston at 5k miles?!
Do you commute in mud or something?
(c;

I've noticed it's been wearing twice as fast since I got the bike, but never got round to doing anything about it. I got the bike at the beginning of Feb and it was really wet that month, remember the bike getting super dirty every time it rained getting covered in salt from the roads. Tried to rinse it off when I got home but I didn't pay any special attention to the rear caliper.

Salt and dirt has probably jammed it up, the pistons do look pretty dirty and there was a lot of fine sand in the grit this year. The dealer offered to service it, for a price of course, so I bought the pads and am going to do it myself this weekend.

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 03:45:40 AM »
Well happy days, my pads and discs have been replaced under warranty.   :046:

Lets hope these discs last longer than 5000 miles.  :084:

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »
Good stuff  :046:

Offline Paramenace

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: TEx 1200
  • City / Town: W Sussex
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 08:08:42 AM »
Morning all, my gen3 was picked up from the dealer end of January (was one of the demo bikes Triumph used to showcase the gen 3, so it’s registered as a 2017 bike even though it’s a 2018 bike).  Feb was a v wet month and post using the hill hold control in the crap conditions  the bike felt it was struggling to accelerate and in turn the front brakes were binding, so in to the dealer and ended up with new front pads, discs and n/s calliper.

Fast forward to last week, I rocked up to work, and as using the front brake to come to a stop the entire front end started juddering, mmmmmm that doesn’t feel right look at the discs and the front o/s disc appears to be burnt on its outer edge, running fingers along the pad and it’s not in the slightest bit smooth.

So back to the dealers and end up with new pads, discs and o/s calliper.  Nothing has changed in my riding style which is not boy racer style and heavy on the brakes (that’s my job and I get paid to ride like that, with the added bonus of blue lights and sirens), and it’s only got 3400 miles/5400K’s on it.

So it’s been two warranty changes on the front brakes in less than 6 months, fingers crossed that’s it although only time will tell.

The dealership have been totally amazing and it’s top marks and 2 thumbs fresh for Carl Rosners of S London (Sanderstead).

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 12:56:10 AM »
*Originally Posted by Paramenace [+]
Morning all, my gen3 was picked up from the dealer end of January (was one of the demo bikes Triumph used to showcase the gen 3, so it’s registered as a 2017 bike even though it’s a 2018 bike).  Feb was a v wet month and post using the hill hold control in the crap conditions  the bike felt it was struggling to accelerate and in turn the front brakes were binding, so in to the dealer and ended up with new front pads, discs and n/s calliper.

Fast forward to last week, I rocked up to work, and as using the front brake to come to a stop the entire front end started juddering, mmmmmm that doesn’t feel right look at the discs and the front o/s disc appears to be burnt on its outer edge, running fingers along the pad and it’s not in the slightest bit smooth.

So back to the dealers and end up with new pads, discs and o/s calliper.  Nothing has changed in my riding style which is not boy racer style and heavy on the brakes (that’s my job and I get paid to ride like that, with the added bonus of blue lights and sirens), and it’s only got 3400 miles/5400K’s on it.

So it’s been two warranty changes on the front brakes in less than 6 months, fingers crossed that’s it although only time will tell.

The dealership have been totally amazing and it’s top marks and 2 thumbs fresh for Carl Rosners of S London (Sanderstead).

Hope you have no more issues mate, I have now done a further 3k miles since mine were replaced and so far so good.  :152:

Though I would say this second set don't feel quite as good as the first set.  :084: 

Recent Topics

nonskid