Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gen 3 Brake Judder  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
Re: Gen 3 Brake Judder
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 02:13:36 AM »
My brake judder has returned.  :005:  :230:

It's going in for it's 10k service next week so I have asked them to look at it again.

I'm a bit concerned though as last time the technician said he couldn't feel it, baring in mind I was waiting in the show room while he road tested it, he was only gone for about 15 mins. I was made to feel as though they were doing me a favour by replacing the brakes. So we will see.  :084:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 08:55:22 AM »
Yeah, as long as your warranty runs, they say 'I don't feel it'.
And as soon as you warranty expires, it becomes 'Oh your disks must be replaced!' (don't ask how I know).

I'm tired of always having to fight for just having the standard contract fulfilled...

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 08:53:43 PM »
I ride all year round - and with all my Triumphs I've owned I find you need to fully strip the brakes on an annual basis.Clean everything spotlessly. The rear underslung caliper on my 1050 was so bad that I had  a spare caliper - just unbolted and swapped it over to save time being off road !! The 1200 is better but still needs a good clean at least once a year. Got nearly 30k on my discs and they are still in good condition. Use compressed air to dry things out fter you wash it - helps a lot I find in keeping corrossion at bay :002:

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 11:56:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by eps [+]
I ride all year round - and with all my Triumphs I've owned I find you need to fully strip the brakes on an annual basis.Clean everything spotlessly. The rear underslung caliper on my 1050 was so bad that I had  a spare caliper - just unbolted and swapped it over to save time being off road !! The 1200 is better but still needs a good clean at least once a year. Got nearly 30k on my discs and they are still in good condition. Use compressed air to dry things out fter you wash it - helps a lot I find in keeping corrossion at bay :002:

I do exactly the same.  :028:

l also plaster ACF50 all over every time I wash it from probably the end of this month until April I would guess.

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 04:25:50 AM »
I have to take my hat off to the dealer, not only did they experience the judder they renewed the pads, discs and front wheel to to cure it. I didn't really get an explanation as to why the wheel was changed but I'm not bothered because its all ok at the moment.    :047:

Lets hope these last long than 4000 miles though, the bikes not even seen a winter yet.  :114:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 10:53:09 AM »
Exactly what's happened on my '08 Tiger 1050.
After having replaced the disks twice (or thrice, I don't remember) under warranty, they resorted to changing the front wheel. This was apparently a case of unleveled disk mounting points on the rim, which would cause every disk to warp sooner or later.
Once the front wheel was replaced, I never had warped front disks again.

I'm therefore confident in your problem being permanently solved now.

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 12:49:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Exactly what's happened on my '08 Tiger 1050.
After having replaced the disks twice (or thrice, I don't remember) under warranty, they resorted to changing the front wheel. This was apparently a case of unleveled disk mounting points on the rim, which would cause every disk to warp sooner or later.
Once the front wheel was replaced, I never had warped front disks again.

I'm therefore confident in your problem being permanently solved now.

Cheers Nik, that explanation makes sense.  :821:

Offline eps

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »
Yep that makes sense - hopefully al sorted. Just to prove some of Triumphs quality - a mate has a Kawasaki SX1000 (think thats what it is called) it was brand new and within 6 months most of the fastners are rusting, corroded etc. My bike is so much better and I've done loads more miles and years on it  :002:

Offline pcarnut

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Carlsbad
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
Coming up 10k miles on mine, so far so good.  However, on a recent ride up to Colorado both the front and rear seemed like they were a little spongy so did the bungee cord wrapped around the lever overnight-trick and all seems well now.
2018 T12, 2014 TEx, 2011 1050

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by pcarnut [+]
did the bungee cord wrapped around the lever overnight-trick
Never heard about this one!
And what is it supposed to do?

Recent Topics