Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TPMS Registration  (Read 497 times)

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
TPMS Registration
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:30:44 AM »
When I took my '12 Explorer in for service last week, I wanted the technician to re-register the TPMS units on my bike. The last time I went in for service, they got the front and rear backwards. It was not a big deal but more of an annoyance.

The mechanic had a bit of a problem getting the ECU to take the change and ended up having to enter the change a couple of times before it finally accepted the change and now all is good. The tire pressures displayed on the gauges (clocks) matched the tire pressure gauge readings made by the mechanic.

Just a FYI.
Mikie

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Re: TPMS Registration
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 03:15:38 PM »
A spot of bad news for cost-conscious UK riders.

After 4.5 years, my TPMS finally gave up the ghost.
The front showed 'Lo Batt' (or something similar) just the once, and from then on gave no further pressure reading but put on a very annoying red light on the dash. The rear still works ok, but I decided to replace the batteries in both sensors.

On removing the sensors, it soon became apparent that they do not unscrew (like those on my Kwak). The battery is held in the monitor by what I can only describe as 'black mastic' which itself would make re-sealing them something of a challenge.

Now the worst bit: the batteries are tagged CR2050W.
'No problem' I confidently thought - but I cannot source them anywhere in the UK.

The only CR2050s I could find anywhere were in the USA, but they were not tagged.

I've therefore ordered two new sensors at close to £100 each plus VAT (so £240 = €280 = US$313 = CAN$420 = AUS$440)

Triumph really couldn't have made replacing a $5 battery any more difficult if they tried.

Hope this helps with your planning. I've no idea if the red warning light can be disconnected from the TPMS sensors, if so then a cheaper option would be to discard the system and check the tyre pressures once a day.

Phil

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 04:13:22 PM »

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »
You could just replace the CR2050 with a tagged CR2032. They're 3.2mm thick instead of 5mm and will have a lower capacity but will work fine.

The larger batteries were used when they started using potted sensors to ensure they lasted longer.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Recent Topics

nonskid