Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nearly dropped it...  (Read 2918 times)

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
Nearly dropped it...
« on: June 12, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
A little ride out yesterday with full luggage and the wife riding pillion.
All was great until we pulled left out of a tight junction on a slight incline... bang, stalled it half way out!  :005:
Very lucky to keep upright and got on our way! :305:
A scary and embarrassing experience, but we both had a whoop and chuckle down the road!  :015: :047:

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
Re: Nearly dropped it...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
hahaha. yeah that happens :-) especially if it's tilted more than 15 degrees that's either a strained back or a bailout. you know the center of gravity is somewhere about half a foot above our head with the kitty. good job keeping it together  :169: :028: :821:
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »
In 15 years and 5 Trumpets, I never touched down (how I love bragging about that ;-).

I had a couple close calls though. The one I remember the most is the first: on my dear ol'97 Steamer, I was taking off to go to the doctor (nasty flu with 40°C fever) when a careless driver went coming my lane! I pulled the brake by reflex, stalled and since I was in a turn, the bike started to fall down. The fear of it made my left foot kick the ground violently like I was on a 400DRZ. I retook control of it all.

The morning after, I woke up with terrible pain in foot, ankle, knee and hip ;-)

Since then, I never let my focus wander at low speed.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: Bronxville
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
 :008:

Like most other things, I have video evidence of that too!

"...
The first on a long and hopefully funny series on on how not to make U-Turns.

Having ridden all day twisting up and down in West Virginia on back roads, dirt and what not; exhausted and dehydrated I miss a turn on the route sheet like 3 times; back & forth and I kept missing it. On the final miss during the u-turn, in an instant I felt completely drained as if all my strength was just spent and I had nothing left - I just put the bike on the ground and rolled off of it. There was nothing wrong with the turn or the bike... "I" felt dead.

Then I picked up the bike, rode a few yards and then pulled over to rest for a while..."

This happened once more, years and years ago - on my Harley. After a very long day of riding, on a red light waiting I felt completely drained for a second. I put the bike down on the road and stood up and walked a bit and picked it up again. Weird. Sugar low?
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:43:11 PM »
Glad I'm not alone!  :028:
Respect the beast!   :037: :031:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 01:53:01 AM »
I did this on a marathon run from Vancouver to central California about 10 years ago. I was riding an ST1300. It was early in the season and quite cold. I had been up on the road at 2 am and had not been drinking any water. Got dehydrated. Felt a little woozy when we pulled into a small town on Hwy 101. Went to put the side stand down and heard a thunk, but it was really the center stand, which retracted. And then, I just lay the bike down on its side -- right in front of a corner store. Two friends helped me get the bike back up. No damage, just a scuff on the tip-over wings and the corner of the side case. Drank 1/2 a liter of water.

Stay hydrated.  :016:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 05:03:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
In 15 years and 5 Trumpets, I never touched down (how I love bragging about that ;-).
Talk about taunting the gods!  (Otherwise known as tempting fate.)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 09:02:34 AM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Talk about taunting the gods!  (Otherwise known as tempting fate.)
My motto: don't be superstitious for this causes bad luck ;-)

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:04:15 AM »
Yup. Round the Seville ring road in 35 degrees after a long day. Got to hotel. Quick u-turn. Bang. I'm on the ground. No idea what happened, but I do know I was totally wrung-out.

Mental note to walk away next time. Have a drink. Cool off. Then do the u-turn.

But part of the syndrome is that you're not thinking straight, so mental notes don't work.

*Originally Posted by Icy [+]
:008:

Like most other things, I have video evidence of that too!

"...
The first on a long and hopefully funny series on on how not to make U-Turns.

Having ridden all day twisting up and down in West Virginia on back roads, dirt and what not; exhausted and dehydrated I miss a turn on the route sheet like 3 times; back & forth and I kept missing it. On the final miss during the u-turn, in an instant I felt completely drained as if all my strength was just spent and I had nothing left - I just put the bike on the ground and rolled off of it. There was nothing wrong with the turn or the bike... "I" felt dead.

Then I picked up the bike, rode a few yards and then pulled over to rest for a while..."

This happened once more, years and years ago - on my Harley. After a very long day of riding, on a red light waiting I felt completely drained for a second. I put the bike down on the road and stood up and walked a bit and picked it up again. Weird. Sugar low?
--------
If not now, when?

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 09:09:50 AM »
Well  I have dropped mine a few times. I'm a novice, what can I say. I dropped my instructor's GS 800 outside the test centre. I dropped my Tiger at the A1 roundabout up at Edinburgh too. Being as I'm from Yorkshire, I want to get the full value out of these Motec crash bars or else I'll feel I've wasted my money. Each time, I've just been caught out. Once that bike is moving, there's no bringing it back. I'm a big bloke and I have saved it more times than I've dropped it, but I've seen even very experienced riders come a cropper. No shame in it. Well I would say that wouldn't I.

Recent Topics

nonskid