Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nearly dropped it...  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: Nearly dropped it...
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 05:50:38 PM »
I've nearly dropped mine twice now, both times with my wife riding with me after stopping at a stop sign and both times I was going to make a turn after stopping. Can't blame the bike though. The dummy at the controls had a brain fart & started off in 2nd gear... :034:
Jon

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 04:14:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I'm with you on this one.
I believe there is a very slight delay between 100% off and 1% on. If you're (like me) the silent type of rider (hate to roar at take-off), then sometimes you release the clutch right before the right hand rotation was transmitted to the engine.
This hasn't been my experience. From a stop, I usually begin engaging the clutch from almost idle and don't accelerate until the clutch is fully engaged. The only stall event that I recall was doing this when the bike was still cold on a cold morning in spring in a motel parking lot. Once it is warm its fine. And I've seen no difference between the original OEM muffler (2 years) and the Arrow replacement (2 years).
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 07:43:49 PM »
On my Sunday morning ride today, checked my pull-away RPM and confirmed that it is usually 1200 to 1500 RPM.

For those with stalling issues, what kind of fuel are using? Middle grade? % of Ethanol? I use a 94 octane fuel which has zero ethanol and Techron additive in it most of the time. I will use 91 octane with 10% ethanol if I can't find anything better. I do notice a difference if I have to run ethanol blend fuel for a while when travelling.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 10:07:35 PM »
The first day I got my Tex, I filled it with 99 RON, but then a guy on one of the facebook groups said he was told by a Triumph mechanic not to use high RON fuel in the Tiger as it could cause damage... does this sound right?  :027:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 10:24:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tony Hart [+]
The first day I got my Tex, I filled it with 99 RON, but then a guy on one of the facebook groups said he was told by a Triumph mechanic not to use high RON fuel in the Tiger as it could cause damage... does this sound right?  :027:
No, not really. The Triumph triples are thoroughly modern engines. You are more likely to hear the opposite, which is that you are wasting your money on premium fuels in most vehicles.

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 10:43:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
No, not really. The Triumph triples are thoroughly modern engines. You are more likely to hear the opposite, which is that you are wasting your money on premium fuels in most vehicles.

Yes, it's a big debate and a whole new story which has been done to death already. I'm happy enough putting regular in, although I do go for premium in my car  :028:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 11:33:05 PM »
I use the Chevron 94 primarily because it contains no Ethanol, which can definitely gum things up, particularly in an engine that is not used for periods of time.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2018, 12:24:44 AM »
As I was about to collect my new T1200, the salesman told me I should use 98 RON fuel in it.  I said no, the handbook says 91.  His vague response was ...others have told him...
There are a lot of people out there who think something must be better or more appropriate if it costs more.
I'm not one of them.  I tried higher grade fuel in the TEx, and found that the increase in price wasn't matched by an equivalent increase in range.
91 RON for me.  But I don't use petrol containing ethanol.

I've stalled the T1200 a few times.  I reckon its mapped a bit different to the TEx and needs a bit more revving to take off.  Especially when coming out of Hill Hold !
-Still getting used to it.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2018, 12:48:53 AM »
Higher octane is never going to hurt an engine, even a 100 year old engine. Going too low can cause detonation and damage.

I run mine on 87 (ron/mon) ethanol and never have had an issue.    I have never had an issue with ethanol in general, even letting my chainsaw, trimmer and other small engines sit wet over the winter and putting it into my 1951 Oliver tractor.   

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2018, 01:12:22 AM »
My understanding is that the calorific value of ethanol is lower, so the mileage is lower.  An issue independent of anti-knock qualities (RON).
The couple of times I tried 10% ethanol fuel in a car, I did find the L/100km figure was worse than for standard petrol.

There is also the 'green' value of ethanol, but only when its produced in a sensible, sustainable way.  IMHO that doesn't include displacing food crops to grow a crop just to produce ethanol from.

Recent Topics