Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nearly dropped it...  (Read 2917 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Nearly dropped it...
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2018, 01:44:51 AM »
I have found ethanol hard on fuel lines. It dissolved the lining in my r1100r fuel tank. It absorbs water from the air, promoting rust in a fuel tank. It has been blamed for the shrinking Ducati plastic fuel tank issues. It's not great stuff.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 03:07:48 PM »
I've also seen firsthand where ethanol has literally melted plastic fuel filters... :004:
Jon

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I use the Chevron 94 primarily because it contains no Ethanol, which can definitely gum things up, particularly in an engine that is not used for periods of time.

I do not think that’s the case here in the Central Valley in California.
The pumps at Chevron say may contain up to 10% ethanol.
I always use Chevron if I can. Cost is a little more but I’m supporting local businesses, I’m in oil country
and Chevron is our largest employer. I do use low grade though and have never had the stalling issues
discussed here.
I am having stalling issues pulling to a stop with the clutch in though. Doubt if it’s fuel related.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2018, 05:14:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
I am having stalling issues pulling to a stop with the clutch in though. Doubt if it’s fuel related.
I discovered that if you blip the throttle on a Gen1 TEX aggressively (more than 20%) while braking to stop, you will trigger the failsafe mechanism that is designed to prevent run-away motors by cutting the ignition if the throttle is stuck open and the brakes are on.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 05:16:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
I do not think that’s the case here in the Central Valley in California.
The pumps at Chevron say may contain up to 10% ethanol.
Chevron 94 may be unique in BC. All I have ever seen in my travels in WA, OR, CA, NV and AZ is 91 with ethanol.

Offline russ999rocket

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Swindon
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 07:35:48 PM »
Technically not dropped.....however.....when they tell you to put it in first gear on the Chunnel, as I have done dozens of time beforehand, pay attention otherwise when the train comes to a quick halt in the tunnel your bike may roll off the sidestand  :156: :005: :156:.

Luckily it fell onto my mates BMW GS1200 and came gently to the floor, the only damage was a snapped end clutch lever and a bent mirror!  :152:
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by russ999rocket [+]
Luckily it fell onto my mates BMW GS1200

Your Tiger "attacked" the GS!!!   :188: :046: :745:

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by russ999rocket [+]
Technically not dropped.....however.....when they tell you to put it in first gear on the Chunnel, as I have done dozens of time beforehand, pay attention otherwise when the train comes to a quick halt in the tunnel your bike may roll off the sidestand  :156: :005: :156:.

Luckily it fell onto my mates BMW GS1200 and came gently to the floor, the only damage was a snapped end clutch lever and a bent mirror!  :152:
On the Tasmania ferry, they put a tie on the front brake lever.  (As well as tying the bike down to the floor.)

Recent Topics

nonskid