Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nearly dropped it...  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Simmo

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2017 1200 XRT White
  • City / Town: Reading
Re: Nearly dropped it...
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 09:16:39 AM »
Agree with the comments in respect of hydration.

Two years back I was in mainland Europe in high 30degC temperatures and I suddenly felt I was either going to puke up or pass out! Fortunately was able to stop safely, rehydrate, and take half an hour to get myself back together!

Simmo
2017 Explorer XRT in White fitted with Triumph Sat Nav mount and Arrow exhaust. Also fitted - Puig Touring Screen, Rox Anti-vibration Pivoting Risers, Skidmarx Rear Hugger, Evotech Headlight Protector, Palmer Bar End Weights, Grip Puppies, SW Motech Upper Engine Bars, Panniers and Tool Tube, Skene P3 rear LEDs, Givi Trekker Outback 58L Box and Corben Heated Seat.

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 12:54:15 PM »
 :460: :460: :460: :460: (for all the good postings and good tips on this thread)

:821:

Cheers
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 01:14:10 PM »
 :0461: :028:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 05:10:15 PM »
One of those insidious little inconveniences of, ahem, aging is that your thirst response diminishes. So you can be dehydrating while not feeling thirsty.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 01:03:25 PM »
The Tex does seem quite keen on stalling, did it on the weekend, pulling out left from a rough car park (with pillion), the back wheel took a bit of oomph to get it out of a pothole, grabbed the throttle, but shut it down too quickly, kerdunk, stopped  :006:

If you're feeling bad about it just remember I've been riding 44 years this summer  :008:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline takoboy

• Explorer Junior
  • Real men don´t eat honey; they chew bees :)
  • Bike: TIGER 1200 Xca
  • City / Town: Düsseldorf
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 04:43:20 PM »
my previous bike, the BMW 1300GT had a tendency to stall during high temperatures...officially BMW blamed it on a air temperature sensor giving wrong information at the ECU and resulting to a sudden fail of the injection. Exactly at the wrong moment, during a steep turn left or right after a traffic light stop...it was a miracle (i have always managed to pull the clutch intuitively) that I never kissed the floor...except once, I managed to save the stalling-situation, i stopped after 20 meters to check the front of the bike if there were any leaves or similar blocking the air intake and see in panic the bike sliding from the side stand...the sound of fairing parts touching the ground  :172: :172: :172: and then reaching your brain at the speed of light a drilling piece of information: "€1500"  :001:

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 05:52:02 PM »
That was my first stall with a pillion in 35 years!  :034:

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 10:38:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Simmo [+]
Agree with the comments in respect of hydration.

Two years back I was in mainland Europe in high 30degC temperatures and I suddenly felt I was either going to puke up or pass out! Fortunately was able to stop safely, rehydrate, and take half an hour to get myself back together!

Simmo

Same thing with me - de-hydration affects ones abilities very suddenly and very quickly. I now make sure I carry a bottle of water (or 2) with me on longer rides and always take a good couple of gulps at stops. I've also found that O.R.S. Hydration Tablets (from Boots) work wonders at quickly re-hydrating, blackcurrant flavour so taste fine and also have the necessary other ingredients to re-hydrate. If that fails, a phial of sugar like you get from motorway services in a can of lemonade (to flatten it) does a pretty good job too.

Stay hydrated - it's an easy thing to overlook.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 11:04:23 AM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
The Tex does seem quite keen on stalling

:0461:

I stall this bike far more frequently than any other I have ridden. By that I don't mean I do it every day, but still noticeably more than anything else. I think it must be something to do with how the ECU is programmed to react to the fly-by-wire throttle inputs at slow engine speeds, and occasionally it means that what you expect to happen as the rider twisting the throttle a certain amount at a certain swiftness doesn't quite translate how you'd expect it to.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »
I'm with you on this one.
I believe there is a very slight delay between 100% off and 1% on. If you're (like me) the silent type of rider (hate to roar at take-off), then sometimes you release the clutch right before the right hand rotation was transmitted to the engine.

Recent Topics

nonskid