Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2017 xcx additional brake light  (Read 838 times)

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
Re: 2017 xcx additional brake light
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 05:17:38 PM »
Thank you Tiger Electrical Guru! I feel less uneducated now!
 :037:

In other words, when it comes to adding indicators to the existing ones, it will be a matter of hit'n miss (unless I got the information from Triumph (doable) and the Chinese LED strips provider (extremely unlikely ;-)).

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 02:15:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
Thank you Tiger Electrical Guru! I feel less uneducated now!
 :037:

In other words, when it comes to adding indicators to the existing ones, it will be a matter of hit'n miss (unless I got the information from Triumph (doable) and the Chinese LED strips provider (extremely unlikely ;-)).
If you stick with a solution that uses a separate powered controller, you should be OK.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
Surely the top-box power connector or rear accessory socket could be used for that?
Possibly, I don't know, the SW-Motech supplied power cable would have to be extended to reach. I noticed that you can use the front accessory socket as a charge point for an Optimate (or similar) but not the rear accessory socket. So yes, that rear one might be a good candidate for a tank ring connection point.  :028:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 10:20:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
If you stick with a solution that uses a separate powered controller, you should be OK.
I get your point, but it would require a relay for each indicator and one for the brakes.
Not very practical...

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
We are talking LEDs here.  I'd try paralleling your extra LEDs in to see what happens.  If that doesn't work, and electronic control is needed, a few FET devices and resistors will be cheap and small.
Relays aren't the only type of electrical switch.  If you are switching a non-inductive load (ie not a motor or coil of some kind), then a FET makes a good switch.
Caution: Some electronics knowledge and soldering may be required.   :002:

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 02:26:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
Caution: Some electronics knowledge and soldering may be required.   :002:
Well, knowledge I have little and as for soldering know-how: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/s7ahGx8KjZ6X-01eu4r55Euf2UXJcalku_yfHTNFDs_2P9E1HQGsvInlFUU_9rnw7FbcZ17dxRknfdkiUnmnoXHMDUfNyhVxvX21KGxQigcsbnc1UWVhRtGYxCH4Ei93Eg

I'll try parallel tap first ;-)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2018, 04:41:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
I get your point, but it would require a relay for each indicator and one for the brakes.
Not very practical...
...unless you buy a purpose-built solution that is all-in-one. Example: the Skene products have one controller for the front and one controller for the rear. The front Skene controller also has a brake light tap because it has a front light warning flash (optional) that can be activated with three quick taps of the brake lever (to get the attention of a motorist that you are approaching). I'm pretty sure that you could tap off the rear controller and add a third brake light (centered) if you wanted.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »
Yeah nice solution, but sooo expensive!

I'm more in for a couple of PosiTaps and ugly wiring ;-)

Recent Topics

nonskid