Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?  (Read 2088 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 3820
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« on: June 24, 2018, 07:38:19 PM »
This is something that I've wondered about for a while. It was inspired by a talk that a motorcycle tire wholesaler gave to our club. Basically, he said that there is really no difference between tread patterns on motorcycle tires when it comes to 80 to 100% road use ratings.

So, what's your opinion? I am thinking specifically about the kind of OEM tires (Anakee III, Scorpion Trail, Tourance etc.) that you find on the big displacement ADV/Touring bikes vs. a 100% road tire such as the PR4 when used on gravel roads. Is there really any difference between these on a maintained gravel surface?

P.S. not talking about knobby or semi-knobby off-road tires.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Fuze

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 879
  • Bike: 14'Tex white/graph
  • City / Town: Vancouver
  • Country: Canada
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:36:15 PM »
My opinion:  Tread pattern does not matter.  I use and have used full road tires since the 80's on forestry and logging roads.  In muddy, gooey conditions only knobs work, all others are equally useless.

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 3820
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 10:26:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fuze [+]
My opinion:  Tread pattern does not matter.  I use and have used full road tires since the 80's on forestry and logging roads.  In muddy, gooey conditions only knobs work, all others are equally useless.
That is my suspicion also. But I don't ride enough on unpaved surfaces to have really formed an opinion from experience. I really love the PR4's that I have on my TEX now and would be reluctant to change them. It's probably just a case of FOMO.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 255
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
  • Country: USA
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 11:45:33 PM »
I have wondered the same thing as I look at the 90/10 tires and the 100% road tires and don't really see a difference.   I have used 100% road tires on dirt roads and gravel roads without an issue.  Like stated in many other places, if you get into sand or mud, unless you have a full knobby you are pretty much screwed. 


Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 3820
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 04:26:28 PM »
Is there any evidence to suggest that ADV style tires have a stiffer carcass than road style tires, presumably to protect against hitting obstacles such as sharp stones?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Griff

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 3097
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 07:57:09 PM »
As far as I am concerned the only difference is noise. There may be something in the stiffer carcase aspect but I have heard nothing conclusive to date.

Offline Dilbert

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 425
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
  • Country: UK
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
Knobblies have a deep grooved flexible block pattern designed to clear mud out and grip very loose surfaces, especially when combined with lower inflation pressures.

Adv tyres like Anakees have a deeper cut tread pattern than road tyres that is designed more for loose, gravelly surfaces as a compromise between loose and firm surface grip, the idea being that they work moderately well for all surfaces.

Road tyres with deep patterns like PR4's and sipes, blah, blah, blah, are designed for wet weather grip on tarmac surfaces, essentially an anti-aquaplaning road tyre, whilst having enough plain surface to provide good grip, often combined with a dual compound construction to give extra grip when cornering hard.

Standard road tyres with minimal tread pattern are for weekend warriors who only ride in the dry, they have more surface area in contact with the road, while maintaining enough tread pattern to clear water if it gets a bit damp.

Next  :008:


I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Dilbert

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 425
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
  • Country: UK
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2018, 12:34:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Is there any evidence to suggest that ADV style tires have a stiffer carcass than road style tires, presumably to protect against hitting obstacles such as sharp stones?

If they do have stiffer carcasses, as claimed by the "GT" status of some, then I expect it's more to do with the increased weight of the bigger bikes, along the lines of why tractor tyres are a heavier construction  :038:

The thicker blocks of Adv tyres and knobblies would provide more protection against sharp stones, etc.


I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Tony Hart

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 85
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
  • Country: UK
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 03:27:29 PM »
I would think the GT is the bike equivalent to the XL (extra load) for car tyres  :169:

Offline Jon

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 6226
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
  • Country: USA
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 03:27:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Knobblies have a deep grooved flexible block pattern designed to clear mud out and grip very loose surfaces, especially when combined with lower inflation pressures.

Adv tyres like Anakees have a deeper cut tread pattern than road tyres that is designed more for loose, gravelly surfaces as a compromise between loose and firm surface grip, the idea being that they work moderately well for all surfaces.

Road tyres with deep patterns like PR4's and sipes, blah, blah, blah, are designed for wet weather grip on tarmac surfaces, essentially an anti-aquaplaning road tyre, whilst having enough plain surface to provide good grip, often combined with a dual compound construction to give extra grip when cornering hard.

Standard road tyres with minimal tread pattern are for weekend warriors who only ride in the dry, they have more surface area in contact with the road, while maintaining enough tread pattern to clear water if it gets a bit damp.

Next  :008:

 :460: :0461:  Many 70/30 type tires have an open tread design which are directional where the front tire is actual installed to look like it's mounted backwards. (Think tractor tire...) This is advantageous in giving a bit more grip on gravel or any other loose surfaces and makes steering (herding might be a better term...) easier. On big bikes like these I haven't seen much advantage in using even a 50/50 tire on the rear over a pure street tire when riding gravel. Dirt or pasture type riding is a different story...
Jon

 


Recent Topics

nonskid