Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?  (Read 4934 times)

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Difference between ADV style tire & 100% road tire?
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2018, 04:01:30 PM »
If you look at 80/20 tires vs 100% tires, to my eye there is a big difference in tread patterns.
That said, I’ve been in a few situations where roads were torn up for repair and have never had a problem. Keep in mind I ride accordingly just because traction is an issue.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 05:09:42 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Adv tyres like Anakees have a deeper cut tread pattern than road tyres that is designed more for loose, gravelly surfaces as a compromise between loose and firm surface grip, the idea being that they work moderately well for all surfaces.
I understand this. But my question remains, do they really, actually make a difference in real life? Just because a tread looks the job, doesn't mean that it actually makes a difference. Case in point is the Anakee 3 radial. No blocks, per se.

The other thing that I have found is that ADV tires are prone to picking up screws. Twice, I have found a screw embedded in the gap between blocks, that my tire guy has declined to repair because the carcass is too thin at that point. I haven't experienced this with all-road tires.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Robin

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2018, 08:18:17 PM »
Talking of tyres photo attached of the new Road pilot 5 Trail.

Looks quite a lot different from the RP4. They've closed the ends of the open slots along the edge of the tyre, possibly in an effort to reduce the leading edge wear of the block pattern on the previous design.

My previous PR4s suffered badly from this effect.
Older than the internet.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 12:57:14 AM »
Interesting. The tread pattern looks a little like the Anakee 3 radial.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 12:49:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I understand this. But my question remains, do they really, actually make a difference in real life? Just because a tread looks the job, doesn't mean that it actually makes a difference. Case in point is the Anakee 3 radial. No blocks, per se.

The other thing that I have found is that ADV tires are prone to picking up screws. Twice, I have found a screw embedded in the gap between blocks, that my tire guy has declined to repair because the carcass is too thin at that point. I haven't experienced this with all-road tires.

Yes, there's very little difference between the Anakee 3 and R5 tread patterns, there seems to be a bit of a divergence, probably because Michelin recognise that 90% of "Adventure" bikes never go within a hundred yards of a muddy path, though the Anakee's still have an across the tyre tread for grip on loose surfaces and the R5 is more of an around the tyre road style pattern for wet road grip.  :008:

Quote from Michelin UK Anakee III page "A more rigid tyre carcass and a new profile inspired by Michelin's Sport Touring radial tyres for better stability and handling"

The Anakee III is now the recommended tyre for Explorer MkI models, although the main advantage of the R5 that clearly isn't on the Anakee III is the dual compound "MICHELIN 2CT and 2CT+ and the latest generation of compounds and siped tread" which is their biggest selling point for road riders, especially those who commute in variable and often wet conditions i.e. in the UK  :016:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 12:51:48 PM by Dilbert »
I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Yes, there's very little difference between the Anakee 3 and R5 tread patterns, there seems to be a bit of a divergence, probably because Michelin recognise that 90% of "Adventure" bikes never go within a hundred yards of a muddy path, though the Anakee's still have an across the tyre tread for grip on loose surfaces and the R5 is more of an around the tyre road style pattern for wet road grip.  :008:
I really like the feel of the PR4, so would be reluctant to change. However, I would consider the Anakee III if it offered an improved loose surface grip. I totally understand that mud is a completely different issue, but I would not want to be in a mud situation on my TEX.  :005:

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
My two favorite tires have been the Pirelli Scorpion Trail II and the Mitas E07. The Mitas are a 50-50 tire but honestly they made little difference to the traction off road where I live. Being that I’ve got predominantly sugar sand on the trails, either tire failed to make a difference. Similarly, on the pavement, each tire performed remarkably well. The Mitas lasted a little longer, the Pirelli gripped a little better.

It wasn’t until I bought my Honda 250 dirt bike and put a set of aggressive knobbies on it that I realized my TEx was never going to manage the terrain the way I hoped. It’s simply too big and heavy. If I were to live somewhere that I could ride intermediate terrain instead of the very loose and sandy terrain, I’d likely run the Mitas exclusively. Their only drawback was slightly louder noise on pavement.

In a related side note, my Honda came stock with a set of 50-50 tires. They were great on the road. Quite horrible in deep sand. It was only a slightly more capable bike than the TEx with those tires. The motocross style tires I now have (Motoz Tractionator S/T) made all the difference.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 01:40:26 AM »
I just checked the tread depth on my PR4's after 16k kms they are at 2mm tread left front and rear. I have been looking for another set of PR4's but having trouble finding stock. Road 5's are not available here yet in 19" front sizing. I may end up with a set of Anakee III's instead - they are a fair bit cheaper. Not sure that I would like them as much as the PR4's though.  :084:

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 06:30:24 AM »
Try the Pirellis if you haven’t yet. They’re good tires.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline avbiz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Explore
  • City / Town: roswell
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »
Looking at the Anakee Adventure - might be my next tire,

Recent Topics

nonskid