Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Helmets  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
Helmets
« on: June 28, 2018, 02:22:25 AM »
Hi Folks

When buying a helmet I set myself a budget usually £200 and find the best fitting one I can, I prioritise fit over everything but try and get a Pinlock and a built in sun visor.

My current helmet is a Nolan N87 which fits my fat head perfectly and has the Pinlock etc.. but the vents are useless and it's quite noisy. I paid £150 and purely went for it because of the fit.

In all the vast experience on here would people say that it's worth paying £500-£600 for a lid (you get what you pay for)?

Also modern flip front lids are they noisy at motorway speeds? I had a Caberg about 15 years ago and that used to creak at high speed, It cost about £100 at the time.

Appreciate any feedback .

Cheers   :031:

Offline oxidefilm

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
Re: Helmets
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2018, 03:19:09 AM »
I have a schuberth C3 and a shoei neotec. Worth the extra money? I don't know. Both are very comfortable, well built and quiet. I also have an Arai XD4 that I like a lot but it's tough to go back to a fixed lid one you wear a flip.

Offline Deep6blue

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Several
  • City / Town: Washington
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2018, 04:12:35 AM »
I spent the extra and bought a shoei neotech as well. Really nice helmet and quiet enough at extended freeway speeds.

its quieter than the shoei rf1000 it replaced.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 04:38:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by Pailton [+]
My current helmet is a Nolan N87 which fits my fat head perfectly and has the Pinlock etc.. but the vents are useless and it's quite noisy. I paid £150 and purely went for it because of the fit.
Funny you should say that.  To go with my new T1200, I bought a new helmet, an N87.  My old N84 was looking pretty dilapidated, and had been dropped quite a few times.
I miss the external sun shield, which acted as a good sunshade.  The internal one isn't anywhere near as useful.

The airflow is more than I want in cold conditions, even with the vents all closed.  Yes its a bit noisy.
I put both these factors down to the increase in airflow I get behind the XRt screen compared to my Madstad screen.  Maybe I'm wrong?

I don't buy flip helmets, because they re bound to be noisier and heavier than non-flip.  -My missus's flip Nolan was noisier than my N84.

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 08:16:02 AM »
I use a Viper rsv-171. £180 or thereabouts.

Flip up lid with sun visor. The main reason I picked this though was that it has inbuilt Bluetooth/ speakers/ mic. I can get audio directions from my phone sat nav so no need for bike mounted sat nav. Can also make/ take calls if I want but generally disable that feature!

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 09:36:30 AM »
Shoei Neotec. I liked it so much I bought a spare at the same time in the sale. You can get Neotec 1 quite cheap now as they've been replaced by the Neotec II which feels the same frankly but is around the £500 mark. I've had mine on the Autobahn at well over 100 mph and not suffered at all, but I do have a taller touring screen on.  The new helment is C4 whoch means you can ride with it open like the Shark. I ride with it open anyway when I'm hot. I hardly ever close the visor to be fair and ride with the fighter pilot sun shield down and can still talk on the bluetoof.

Offline bazthebike

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: xcx 17/blue
  • City / Town: southwest
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:16:45 AM »
Hi, I had 2 cabergs and then bought schuberth c3 basic. better than caberg. if you look around you will find c3 discounted. when I bought mine they were discontinuing the black colour and I found one with £90 off. ( might of been infinity m/cycles.).

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 10:19:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by TEXICO [+]
I use a Viper rsv-171. £180 or thereabouts.

Flip up lid with sun visor. The main reason I picked this though was that it has inbuilt Bluetooth/ speakers/ mic. I can get audio directions from my phone sat nav so no need for bike mounted sat nav. Can also make/ take calls if I want but generally disable that feature!

Me and my wife have the same, really like them  :028:

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tony Hart [+]
Me and my wife have the same, really like them  :028:

Yeah they seem excellent for the money. The only minor complaint I would have is that when doing a ‘life saver’ at speed, the wind makes a noise similar to the bikes horn. I think this is caused by the Bluetooth volume control which sticks out a bit on the helmet.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2018, 11:48:09 AM »
I think Shoei is worth the money but Schuberth is not having owned both. 

Recent Topics