Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Helmets  (Read 1833 times)

Online Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
Re: Helmets
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2018, 01:09:50 PM »
I've had two Shoei helmets and really like the fit, good solid construction and good fit are the most important features for me, having crash tested an Arai and Shoei, then yes, definitely worth paying the extra, I had a Caberg carbon fibre helmet and while it was good, light and strong the lining was never the same after I head butted a crow at about 40mph  :086:

My current helmet is a Shoei Hornet Adv, just the plain white, goes with the bike, no extra cost for paint and £80 off in the Easter sale, the peak is a bit noisy, but that doesn't really bother me, excellent field of vision is a bonus and jutting chinpiece helps the Pinlock stay really clear  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 01:17:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by TEXICO [+]
Yeah they seem excellent for the money. The only minor complaint I would have is that when doing a ‘life saver’ at speed, the wind makes a noise similar to the bikes horn. I think this is caused by the Bluetooth volume control which sticks out a bit on the helmet.

Can't say I've ever noticed... what we do get every now and then is a "gushing" noise when we're on intercom due to the mike/s picking up the wind noise, but i think this is with the front vents being open?

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 03:31:45 AM »
Thanks for the feed back, plenty to look at.  :028:

:031:

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 08:21:13 PM »
Shoei qwest here and i love it...plenty of vents and a really simple visor mechanism for removal :016: did i mention how silent it is too :002:
http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/shoei-qwest-gloss-black-xxs-m-only/?sku=0452268&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2PPF9cz52wIVzZztCh3cPQFGEAQYAiABEgKbZfD_BwE
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:23:36 PM by belpas »
Why do we die just as we are getting the hang of it

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 04:27:59 AM »
I have two Nolan helmets: N103 and N104. Both very comfortable. I will say one thing, though. For my head shape, the Nolans fit great, but the Schuberth helmets (and consequently the BMW helmets) do not fit me at all. I get pressure points on center of my forehead which result in headaches after an hour or so. Something to watch out for if your head is Nolan-shaped.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:29:54 AM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
For my head shape, the Nolans fit great, but the Schuberth helmets (and consequently the BMW helmets) do not fit me at all.

Head shape is a very personal thing  :164:
I just can't get a Schuberth that fits me well and is comfortable.......but had a BMW previously that was excellent in both respects.
Schuberth design/make BMW helmets but they are different shapes - unlike Held helmets which are identical to Schuberths.
I replaced that BMW with a Shoei Neotec that suits my head shape.
Last week shopped around for a new helmet. Tried Schuberths but they were even worse (for me) than I remembered.
Tried a Neotec 2 - a bit heavier than the old one but fit & comfort was still the best I tried so that's what I'll get next.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2018, 11:30:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
Head shape is a very personal thing  :164:
I just can't get a Schuberth that fits me well and is comfortable.......but had a BMW previously that was excellent in both respects.
Schuberth design/make BMW helmets but they are different shapes - unlike Held helmets which are identical to Schuberths.
I replaced that BMW with a Shoei Neotec that suits my head shape.
Last week shopped around for a new helmet. Tried Schuberths but they were even worse (for me) than I remembered.
Tried a Neotec 2 - a bit heavier than the old one but fit & comfort was still the best I tried so that's what I'll get next.

:460: :0461: I couldn't agree more. It just makes me smile whenever I hear or see someone ask what helmets are best. It's always wise to do your research to see what features, quality, and price the different helmets offer, but proper fit is paramount. The best advice I've ever been given was to figure out what I desired in a helmet and how much I could afford, and then find the one that fit me best. Decades ago I started out wearing Shoei lids and they fit me well and wore well. After a few of those I tried a Bell lid and hated it because it never did break in & fit well. Then I switched over to HJC helmets for several years. Last year I bought a Nolan 104 and for me it's pure Bliss. Most comfortable and feature filled lid I've ever owned. That said, my guess is that at least half of the guys reading this would not like the Nolan just because it wouldn't fit them right. The best helmet for you if the one that has the best quality, features, and looks that you can afford and most importantly fits your head shape the best. Just my 2 cents worth...
Jon

Online pug27

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Thirsk
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 09:28:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
:460: :0461:The best helmet for you if the one that has the best quality, features, and looks that you can afford and most importantly fits your head shape the best. Just my 2 cents worth...

I agree. It’s better to have a £150 helmet that fits rather than a £600 helmet that doesn’t.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2018, 07:05:10 PM »
Helmet fitting is weird at times. I wear a size small (56) in a Nolan N104 which fits perfectly. I also acquired (long story) a new BMW System 7 helmet which is a large (58-59) which has pressure points and gives me headaches. I resorted to using a small wallpaper seam roller to shape the inner foam a bit to relieve the pressure points (the helmet is not returnable). I like the System 7 -- better ventilation and lighter (carbon fiber) than the Nolan. Also much quieter. I believe that the System 7 is now manufactured for BMW by AGV in Italy.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2018, 09:07:08 PM »
I buy a helmet on fit first, then it's a case of durability against cost.

The lower priced Shoeis work for me as they fit well and the material quality is excellent.

I use an XR1100 for commuting - it's near the end of its life and I bought another one when Infinity were selling the last few at £229.

M&P were selling a batch of Neotec I for £299 last autumn so I bought one as I liked the idea of a flip and it is my first helmet with a sun visor. I just got back from Germany and really like this helmet.

Both of the above are well vented and with the vents open they can be noisy due to the airflow. I use ear plugs.

So, if you time your purchase right, you can get a premium brand helmet for the price of a Nolan. Subscribe to email alerts from M&P, Infinity J&S and Helmet City. They all buy large batches of end of line helmets when new models come out. I tend to try on a helmet wherever I have an opportunity then if you know it fits and you see a price reduction you can jump on it straight away. I try to purchase in a store where possible as I want my local branches to stay open.

Recent Topics