Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Helmets  (Read 2861 times)

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Helmets
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 08:36:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tony Hart [+]
Me and my wife have the same, really like them  :028:

Not so good. Both the pins that the flip lid latches onto have now fallen out. Can’t close lid now and have no idea where I can buy replacement pins!

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
16 years of daily riding and my current Schuberth E1 is my 6th helmet: 2 Sharks, 1 Shoei, 3 Schuberths.
All 6 of them were good lids that I mainly chose for fit and comfort.
The Sharks were in the €150-200 range, the Shoei around €300 and the Schubs have MRSP around €600 (but I never bought one at such price, always around €450).

Can I say the price premium is worth it? Yes, definitely.
Silence and aerodynamics (the thing that really counts, much more than weight alone) are key when you do 20,000 km every year.

So, you guessed it, YMMV ;-)

Offline Tony Hart

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '13 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: CAMBS
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by TEXICO [+]
Not so good. Both the pins that the flip lid latches onto have now fallen out. Can’t close lid now and have no idea where I can buy replacement pins!

That's not good :110:
So did the pins break off, or are they screw in and come loose?
Both mine and the wife's are still fine - pins are in tight. Could you not contact the dealer that sold you it for warranty/parts?

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 01:13:52 PM »
I always used to buy Arai lids for the fit, quality and low noise up until they became too costly and seemed to change their shape so they no longer fit me as well.  I do think you tend to get what you pay for but in recent years companies like Shark have started producing lids which are as good on protection (determined by tests), are lighter and half the price. My last buy a few years ago was a Shark Speed R with internal flip down visor.  Carbon/kevlar composite, light, very comfortable and great if like me you're a glasses wearer due to the generous gap to the visor.  At under £250, I think it's a bargain.  Where flip down lids are concerned, you do seem to have to pay a lot more to get one which meets the safety standards and provides low enough noise as most of the budget ones tend to have a reputation of being noisy, and some are rated on safety as being "open face" as their mechanisms are not guaranteed to withstand side or frontal impacts to the standards expected of full face.  You pays your money....However, it and comfort are my main concerns along with safety ratings.

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2018, 01:59:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tony Hart [+]
That's not good :110:
So did the pins break off, or are they screw in and come loose?
Both mine and the wife's are still fine - pins are in tight. Could you not contact the dealer that sold you it for warranty/parts?

One came off and then about a week later the other came off. Didn’t snap off as such, just the whole pin and bit on the back disappeared somewhere

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2018, 10:54:59 PM »

Sounds like dreadful build quality and/or quality control to me & not something I would want in a helmet regardless of how well it fits or comfy it feels.

If it happened to a helmet of mine I'd be looking for a refund not a replacement or repair and I'd be reporting it to the relevant helmet standards authority.

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 11:39:22 PM »
Just ordered an Arai QV to replace my Arai Signet Q.

Helmet was made 11/11 so time to change.

Really enjoyed the Signet Q so for me it's worth paying for Aria quality and fit.

I'll buy the Pro visor setup separately as they had a limited choice of graphics and I wanted the Dark Citizen.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]

Sounds like dreadful build quality and/or quality control to me & not something I would want in a helmet regardless of how well it fits or comfy it feels.

If it happened to a helmet of mine I'd be looking for a refund not a replacement or repair and I'd be reporting it to the relevant helmet standards authority.

I've contacted the company I purchased it from and will see how they respond.

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2018, 01:26:53 PM »
Premium is worth it. When it comes to helmets, I spend top dollar (wait for a good discount though) and get the best I can. The best helmet I owned so far is the Schubert SR1. Even in 100+ weather, I am fine with it. Lightweight, well ventilated. I do wear a head scarf thing and earplugs though - and I listen to music all the time.

My next helmet is going to be another Schubert -
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 03:31:35 PM »
I've contacted the company I purchased it from and will see how they respond.

Contacted MSG bike gear where I purchased the helmet online. They were excellent. I sent a pic as requested and they contacted Viper who sent out 2 replacement pins. Arrived yesterday and Helmet now fixed.

Will keep an eye on them as they screw in and must have loosened up over time.

Recent Topics

nonskid