Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitting Givi Monokey rack to Tiger 1200 (ie gen3)  (Read 1370 times)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Fitting Givi Monokey rack to Tiger 1200 (ie gen3)
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 12:56:31 PM »
I fitted the Touratech Jerry can holders to the back of my Givi boxes. Never gave it a thought. They looked great, easy to access and low down. On the way to Germany I stopped at the services. The off side plastic can was like a barrage balloon. At the time I didn't twig. It was incredibly hot that day and I though it was the cheap copy can that was on that side of the bike. I slowly undid the cap and the petrol inside was boiling. Now when I say boiling, I mean actually, physically boiling away like a pan of hot water. I let it sit for several minutes and eventually it slowed to a simmer and then stopped. Colour me naive, but I'd never considered them any where like being close enough to the exhaust to be affected. I consider it a pretty lucky escape because if I'd ridden on much further I think that it may well have exploded into a fireball of super heater petrol. I pulled the panniers off ans swapped them left to right so the cans were over the passenger pegs. No good with a pillion on board, but fine for the rest of the trip. I shall be experimenting with a heat shield design at some point.

Lesson learned

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 01:33:12 PM »
Very worrying id say. I was thinking about putting bottle holders on back of my panniers but now i doubt i will.
Ive just done a couple weeks around europe a couple months ago.
Temperature was scorching at mid to high 30's degC but i never checked if my exhaust side Givi Trekker was hot. I did notice my fuel tank was extremely hot, presumably from hot weather in combination with hot engine.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:35:06 PM by Budweiserfrogie »

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
My panniers have never been hot on that side. But after this experience, I did fix some space age silver blanket material to the outside just in case. Actually all of my food kept really cool in there. But certainly some sort of small deflector is needed. I noted that the new racks on my Gen 2 had a small plate there. But I junked those as they mount the boxes far too high.

Recent Topics

nonskid