Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Handguards  (Read 1212 times)

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Helsby, Cheshire
Handguards
« on: July 04, 2018, 07:59:21 AM »
I'm considering fitting hand guards to my 2016 model XR.

I'm leaning towards the Triumph OEM guards but would you consider any of the alternatives?

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
Re: Handguards
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:03 AM »
I have the OEM guards on my XRX and to be honest they are OK, but my recommendation would be to fit Barkbuster Storm handguards (with the 2 point mount), give better weather protection also give far better protection to the bars and levers in the event of an off (or similar).

Web site below - but you'll need to adjust it for your bike/year

https://barkbusters.net/what-fits-my/triumph/tiger-1200-explorer/storm/two-point-mount/

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:13:09 PM »
Two schools of thought, I've always used the OEM (or similar) ABS plastic ones, I like the fact that they give much better wind and rain protection and after having crash tested a few I can confirm that they do the job admirably, in a low force bump they flex and then spring back, in a high force bump they tend to do the same, but then snap at, or around the bar end mount area, it takes a lot to do this and in doing so they absorb a lot of the crash energy.

For me the Barkbusters are great for low speed off-road style tumbles, they don't give much in the way of weather protection and having seen a couple that have suffered a hard knock and permanently deformed I wouldn't like to have had my fingers on the bars at the time  :155:

As ever, depends what you want, you pays your money and makes your choice  :028:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Mark Carter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »
I partly agree with Dilbert.

I have the Barkbusters on my Gen 1.  The OEM hand guards are light and give better wind and rain protection than the Barkbusters.  The Barkbusters are much tougher but also heavier.

I think if I've hit anything hard enough to deform the Barkbusters and trap my fingers against the handle bars then my fingers would have been wiped out no matter what hand guards I had fitted.

Mark.

Offline Roadracingtog

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Helsby, Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys. The main function I require of hand guards is the wind and rain protection. My old Tiger 955 had them fitted and I found them to be superb at keeping the rain off and only the coldest of weather meant I switched on the heated grips.

Before the heatwave I made a mental note to get some hand guards for the XR as I'd forgotten how cold your hands can get. Heated grips are a bit further down the list just now but I'm probably going to get the Triumph ones  :152:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2018, 10:19:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Roadracingtog [+]
I'm considering fitting hand guards to my 2016 model XR.

I'm leaning towards the Triumph OEM guards but would you consider any of the alternatives?
I bought the OEM guards for my TEX for the same reason (wind protection) but ultimately, I wish that I paid a bit more for the SW Motech / Bark Buster alternative (with optional LED turn signals):

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-kobra-handguard-kit-for-triumph-explorer-1200-12-16-explorer-1200-xc-12-16-tiger-800-11-14-tiger-800-xc-11-14
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2018, 10:32:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Roadracingtog [+]
Before the heatwave I made a mental note to get some hand guards for the XR as I'd forgotten how cold your hands can get. Heated grips are a bit further down the list just now but I'm probably going to get the Triumph ones  :152:
I've had the Oxfords on my gen1, now have Triumph heated grips on my T1200.  I recommend the Oxfords.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 12:38:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by kenw [+]
I've had the Oxfords on my gen1, now have Triumph heated grips on my T1200.  I recommend the Oxfords.
#MeToo
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline JG_XRT

• Explorer Member
  • Up the Irons!
  • Bike: 2017 Explorer XRT
  • City / Town: Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 12:31:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I bought the OEM guards for my TEX for the same reason (wind protection) but ultimately, I wish that I paid a bit more for the SW Motech / Bark Buster alternative (with optional LED turn signals):

http://www.twistedthrottle.ca/sw-motech-kobra-handguard-kit-for-triumph-explorer-1200-12-16-explorer-1200-xc-12-16-tiger-800-11-14-tiger-800-xc-11-14

It depends on what you are looking for.

Tne weather protection with the Triumph guards was very good on my XRT, but I wanted the crash protection provided by the Barrbuster-type guards.  I had Storms on my KLR, and they worked excellent and probably saved me from crashing once or twice when I brushed a tree or some heavy branches while on the trails.

That's one of the benefits of the guards with the full backbone- if you're going off road, they can stop something from grabbing your brake or clutch levers causing a loss of control.

I'm not going to be taking the Tiger on the single tracks, but I DID love the Barkbusters, but when I saw the SW Motech units, I had to have them.

The stockers provide better weather protection.  The SWMs look better (IMO), but even with the optional extensions, the weather protection is not as good.

I bought the LED tun signals for the SWMs, and on my gen2, no resistors were required to get them to work properly, although wiring them up was kind of a pain in the hindquarters.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, just make sure you get the set that is going to meet your needs.
Behold, the MaidenCruiser!

Offline NJornee

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2017 White XCx
  • City / Town: Stockholm
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 07:22:42 AM »
Barkbuster Kobra - not for the optional LED turnsignal inserts, but the style of them fits perfectly with the explorer!  :152:

I just mounted the "add-on" extra 50% weather protection bits, and found out that it was much easier to remove the handguard from the handlebars insteade of trying to screw from inside the kobras. Happy I thought of it after just one screw.
I upgraded from a T800 to a TEX and my 120 km a day commute has never been more enjoyable.

Recent Topics

nonskid