Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Have a Trophy, looking at a 1200 XRt  (Read 851 times)

HansXRt and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline tiger1200rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: WI
Have a Trophy, looking at a 1200 XRt
« on: July 11, 2018, 02:02:39 AM »
I've had a '14 Trophy for the past 4 years and enjoyed the relative comfort that it provides.  I thought I'd tour more with this bike but that never happened.  I believe I'd prefer something less top heavy so I test rode a '18 1200 XRt this weekend.  Nice bike.  Lot's of options to tinker with.  I like electronic suspension so that's high on my list.  Thought the XRt would ride better in Comfort mode than it did - Trophy is definitely smoother over rises and drops in the road.  The XRt is definitely lighter but at the cost of being a little taller in the saddle than I'd hope for.  I also have a '15 Tiger 800 XCx which is also relatively high in the seating position but it is much less top heavy.  I don't like the low ride models since the seat to footpeg  distance is tighter which reduces comfort on longer rides.  Has anyone made the transition from a Trophy 1200 to the latest edition of the Tiger 1200 XRt and could give me a ride impression after they have had the bike for hundreds of miles?

Thanks,

Pete

Offline Admin

• Administrator

Online HansXRt

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: VEENENDAAL
Re: Have a Trophy, looking at a 1200 XRt
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 09:43:25 PM »
Hi Pete,

Yes, i did the it  :002: A couple of months ago i traded in my 2014 Trophy for a 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt. And just like you, i really liked the comfort the Trophy offered, but it was a very big bike (i'm a rather short guy - 1.69m) and low speed handling took me more effort than expected. Although i've had it for 3 years and 40K km's, so i pretty much know what i'm talking about.

When i test rode the XRt, the only thing i wanted to get confirmed was the wind protection because that was really awesome on the Trophy. All the other specs seemed to be up to standard (or above). To cut a long story short, i bought the XRt and ever since i already rode  7K km's in different circumstances (rain/dry/cold/warm).

I didn't regret trading in the Trophy for the XRt for a single moment. Having said that, wind protection on the XRt is a little less than on the Trophy, but still very good and after a while you pretty much get used to it. The weight is far less, which is very much noticeable at low speed handling. And yes, the XRt is also a bit top heavy (especially with panniers mounted), but this is also pretty good to handle.

The overall handling is much better and with the different mappings you are actually creating your own bike. Suspension is great and the option to change the settings while driving is also great. Another big advantage is that the controls are much better placed and are easier to use. Cruise control works good (no difference) and the TSAS also contributes to the total experience. Furthermore the TFT screen is bright, very good readability and displays a lot of information. In combination with the joystick,which is also easy to use, Triumph reached the next level.

Looking at the total experience, i'm far more happy with the XRt, but keep in mind that they are completely different bikes. The Trophy is still a very good bike for long travels (i would say the ultimate bike), but is not as exiting as the XRt. Long travels with the XRt are certainly no punishment and are still very comfortable, but it's  a little bit more noisy and has a little less wind protection. At the other hand it's so much more fun on winding roads, using all electronic features, together with the strong engine and typical sound (nice exhaust also), which gives me the ultimate bike feeling.

And i think that's what driving a motorcycle is all about  :305:

Hope this review was a little useful to you to help you decide what to do :001:

Greetz, Hans

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:51:49 PM by HansXRt »

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 12:06:19 AM »
Tiger1200rider,

I have a 2013 Trophy which is the finest bike I have ever owned.  About three months ago I bought a very slightly used 2015 Explorer (1,500 miles) because the Trophy was heavy for me to move around at a stop especially on non-level pavement.  At 65 I do not have the muscle mass I did when I was younger to man handle a bike that heavy.  I looked to the Explorer because I love the engine it shares with the Trophy and because it was 100 pounds lighter.  I have now put over 2,000 miles on the Explorer.  Bye the way, I have lowered it using the 20mm Lust lowering links and pushing the forks up 12mm.  I also put the SW Motech 20mm risers on the handlebars and a Saddlemen Low Profile Adventure Track seat on the bike.  For wind protection, I have purchased National Cycle Sport Touring and Tall Touring windscreens.

My thoughts.  The reduced weight is only noticeable during acceleration.  The Explorer screams going down the road significantly faster than the Trophy.  The Explorer turns quicker, I do not know if it is the frame geometry or tire size that makes the biggest difference.  Other than that they ride very similar.  As far as wind protection, with the standard windscreen there is none on the Explorer and it gets somewhat better with the larger National Cycle windscreens, however, the noise is far greater on the Explorer than on the Trophy.  The Explorer seat is abysmal, even worse than the stock Trophy seat.  I replaced my Trophy seat with a Corbin and added Airhawk for all day riding.  The Saddlemen Adventure track is great for keeping blood flowing to your man parts and is comfortable for up to 5 hours, after that the limited surface of the seat that holds your bottom can cause irritations.   Weight, I find the Explorer only slightly easier to maneuver at a stop or on non-level ground than the Trophy.  Further complicating matters is the very high pillion seat for mounting and dismounting on non-level ground.

Unless proficiency improves my ability to manage this bike over then next6-10 months, I may be looking for an 800 Tiger, a Bonneville, or an America next year.  Do not get me wrong, It is a nice bike, but on the road, other than its raw power, it has nothing on the Trophy, and as far as creature comforts go, it is lacking.  The Trophy, and many miles on it, may have spoiled me.

Ride Safe, maybe I will see you on some of those scenic Wisconsin roads, as we have none in Northern Illinois.  I will either be on a Silver Trophy or a Green Explorer, you see I have not had the heart to sell the Trophy yet.

ZShyster

Offline tiger1200rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 03:46:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I read the earlier posts but I'm  more interested in the 2018 Tiger XRt  vs. Trophy since it seems that Triumph has made this the "touring" bike in their lineup with the elimination of the Trophy.   I've got the Tiger 800 so I have the "light" Tiger - I'm more interested in getting a replacement for the Trophy which, although a great touring bike, has more mass than I want to deal with.  I sat on a Tiger 1200 Xrx low and that is the seat height that makes me comfortable at a stop.  I know the suspension is less on this model but it has less features than the XRt so I don't think its what I am looking for.  Has anyone put the low rider seat on the XRt and had an issue with the footpeg to seat relationship?  I think  I'm headed down the XRt route since I like all the trinkets it comes with.  Just need to get a good trade on the Trophy to make it an easy decision.

Offline ZShyster

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC & Trophy
  • City / Town: Elmhurst IL
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 12:41:43 PM »
I also have a low comfort seat that I have ridden on, I assume the geometry on the frame between 2015 and 18 is similar.  The low seat brings your butt closer to the pegs and the ground.  I can feel it in my knees and although it is not bad for a short time, if I am going to ride long on it I would install some highway (stretch out) pegs.  I am 5'10" with a 29.5 in seam so seat height can become an issue, and have one after market knee which makes seat to peg height an issue.

I remember that there was a company who made footpegs for the Trophy that lowered them an inch.  I do not know if there are similar ones for the Explorer.

Good Luck with the decision.

ZShyster

Offline tiger1200rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 12:57:23 AM »
Thanks for all the responses which I found to be very useful.  Need to get a reasonable trade on the Trophy but I think I'm heading toward a Tiger 1200.  As much as I like all the wind protection and features of the Trophy, I think I want to get back to less bike and more engagement of the ride.  The Tiger 800 XCx is almost there but I'd like a little more power and features.

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 03:03:57 AM »
had a 2013 trophy, which was a good bike, had some issue with the electrical. because of that i traded it when the warranty was up. i bought a tiger 1200 2018 three months ago and actually think it's a better tourer. i have only three issues with it. first- fuel tank is not big enough 200 is about all you will get. second-mileage varies, 49 unloaded and 40 to 43 has been my experience and last - in anything over 85 it is hot to ride. quite a few threads on that subject. just a heads up. :002:

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 12:09:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by tiger1200rider [+]
. I sat on a Tiger 1200 Xrx low and that is the seat height that makes me comfortable at a stop.  I know the suspension is less on this model but it has less features than the XRt so I don't think its what I am looking for.  Has anyone put the low rider seat on the XRt and had an issue with the footpeg to seat relationship?  I think  I'm headed down the XRt route since I like all the trinkets it comes with.  Just need to get a good trade on the Trophy to make it an easy decision.
I've done exactly that.
Liked the xrx low but it didnt have the toys i wanted. Adding them as extras only made the bike way more expensive than the xrt.
So i bought the xrt, added lust racing 20mm lowering kit, added the low seat from triumph, and some crash bar protection.
Now i have exactly what i wanted.
I'm 5'9" and have 29" inseen trousers leg.
I can touch the ground comfortably, especially when riding 2up.
Just done 2 weeks riding around 5 countries in europe and we both love the comfort.

Offline tiger1200rider

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 05:05:37 PM »
So when you added the Lust lowering kit, did you also change the forks in the triple clamp to level the bike?  Sidestand change required?  How did the bike ride when you did this?  I would think that the TSAS would be affected in some way.  Thanks for the response.

Recent Topics