Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Have a Trophy, looking at a 1200 XRt  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Budweiserfrogie

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Athlone
Re: Have a Trophy, looking at a 1200 XRt
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 06:36:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by tiger1200rider [+]
So when you added the Lust lowering kit, did you also change the forks in the triple clamp to level the bike?  Sidestand change required?  How did the bike ride when you did this?  I would think that the TSAS would be affected in some way.  Thanks for the response.
Yes i slid the forks in the clamp to do front lowering also.
I didnt change the sidestand. It still is ok to use but you need to be more careful about stopping on any ground that is a bit off camber. Tsas is affected yes but the kit comes with an adjustable tsas sensor rod for the rear and you can get it all set up perfectly.
Bike rides perfectly for me now.

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 17 xrt
  • City / Town: Henderson, KY
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 03:54:50 AM »
I have 13 Trophy, and also 17 xrt, if i had to choose I would probably pick explorer due to off road capabilities, but the tank does need to be larger. I have a 2015 from dealer at the moment while mine is in shop, the 15 model has low screen, it is fn horrible. the 17 xrt with touring screen that is electronically raised and lowered it so much better. I have not ridin the 18 yet, I had a buddy with a 17 that was gonna trade up to 18, he likes the 17 better....

I rode the 17 XRT about 5 thousand mile trip last fall. Loved every mile.

Offline tiger1200rider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: WI
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 11:22:56 PM »
William,

I've read a couple of other responses that the tank is too small - or is the fuel economy that much worse than the Trophy?  Gearing between the two models is the same except for 6th which is lower numerically (less rpm) on the Trophy.  Since you have both bikes, what is your opinion on the supension between the 2.  I thought the Tiger was a rougher ride than the Trophy even in "Comfort" mode. 

I've got a Tiger 800 XCx for any off road duty so I'm planning on mostly paved roads for the Tiger 1200.  Any reason why you didn't buy the Tiger 1200XCx if you plan on using it occasionally off-rod?

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 04:03:47 AM »
Fuel economy is pretty much the same, did almost 6000 miles side by side, trophy was maybe 5% better, as far as ride.... I did probably 5000 mile trip on my 17xrt, all over california and back to kentucky, ride must have been fine, for I never thought about it much... The trophy and explorer are two different bikes. Can take XRT places that no way trophy can go.  Have both if you can. The xrt is smoother than the trophy as far as engine and shifting, but its a 13 with 83K vs 17 with 7K.  I do like the sat radio on trophy, but I can bluetooth music to helmet while on XRT. The xrt with touring screen and of course electric is perfect for me, i am 5'9. Also, I added rox risers, without them I would not be able to have explorer, reach was too far forward for me without them.

Of course, whatever decision you make, I am sure it will be the correct one.

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 04:08:20 AM »
also, really had no problem with small tank, just had to pull over more, every two hundred miles there about, as compared to trophy possibly going 300 plus miles. But it was nice to pull over and gas and stretch, drink and so forth.  I used a roto-pax last year, took all the anxiety out of gas situation. actually used it twice, just because i was too lazy to pull over to gas up, how many miles could the next station be anyways? well, my range was 95, gas was 103!

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 04:14:39 AM »
I was dead set on the XCA, but salesman talked me into xrt after I told him of the type of riding I do, XCA has tubes, xrt can be plugged. Spokes supposed to be more sturdy, but i am not off road racing, XCA is a little longer and front wheel is larger, does not handle paved twisties as well. I ride 99 percent paved roads, but its that 1 percent that i wanted, and have actually gone down several hard packed roads, no way I would go in sand, its too much bike for me, have a 250 for that.

Offline tiger1200rider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 02:37:49 AM »
Had every intention of plunking my money down on the XRt this afternoon but after talking to the salesperson he thought I should try a BMW R1200GS since it has all the functionality of an XRt  (they sell both BWW & Triumph).  I tried a BMW R1200RT before I bought the Trophy and, although the Beemer was nice, I didn't really appreciate the engine run quality.    I thought before I spend all the money on the XRt I should at least give the BMW a chance.  I have a test ride planned next week.  Has anyone rode a R1200GS recently that can give me a heads up on what the pros and cons are of this model so I can be aware of what I'm going to experience and how it compares to the T1200?

Thanks,

Offline Wiliam

• Explorer Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 08:38:42 AM »
I went with a friend few weeks ago to pick up his new 2018 r1200gsa.  Yes the GSA, there is a difference between gsa and just a GS. Every option. Stainless boxes. Navigation. It's badass. And the gas tank is huge. Spoke wheels of course. It's a piece of art. Seems everyone has a GS. Must be a reason.

But I still like mty explorer better. Way better value. But resale will not be as good, but I'm not selling so that does not make any difference for me.

I did not ride it, I was offered, but no way I was gonna take his 30k bike our for a spin, maybe in a year  or so.

I'm pretty sure it does not have electric wind screen, that itself is a killer, now that I have electric screen I will not go back to manual adjustable screen. I use the up and down way too much. Pretty sure he did not get heated seat either. Gotta have that..

Engine is not as responsive, but that's a 2 cylinder vs 3 cylinder.

No doubt that the GS is the crown Jewell of adventure bikes. And off road it is suppose to be better, everything is a trade off. If I were more off road type the GS is what I may have bought. But the triple engine, and all the standard equipment for almost half the price..... I paid 18k when adding the boxes. His GS was right at 30 with boxes and of course the bmw navigation. Which is rediculous. I use Walmart garmin. Works great.

But by all means.... Ride both. And of course other bikes in the same class also.

Had a friend ride new top of the mountain new KTM 1290. He hated it.

Whatever you like the best. I'm sure you will make correct decision based on test ride.

In the 250 class, I chose the Honda 250L. It's a pig and I love it.

Good luck.... Keep posting, interested in you opinion on GS.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wiliam [+]
I was dead set on the XCA, but salesman talked me into xrt after I told him of the type of riding I do, XCA has tubes, xrt can be plugged. Spokes supposed to be more sturdy, but i am not off road racing, XCA is a little longer and front wheel is larger, does not handle paved twisties as well. I ride 99 percent paved roads, but its that 1 percent that i wanted, and have actually gone down several hard packed roads, no way I would go in sand, its too much bike for me, have a 250 for that.
The 1200 XCa does not have tubes, they can be plugged. The wheels are the same size on the XRt and XCa. The XCa is not longer. They handle on the road just the same as each other, choose the style you prefer. I think the dealer is getting confused with the 800 range. Find another dealer.

Offline tiger1200rider

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 02:09:34 PM »
Wiliam,

I was steered toward the Standard GS version with the Premium package which matched up very well with the XRt in regards to features.  Price difference between the 2 (there are BMW incentives right now) was about $1000 more for the Beemer.  My initial impression when sitting on it was that the seat height was a little lower,  less top-heaviness (similar to my Tiger 800 XCx), the TFT display did not have any glare, but, dare I say it and offend everyone in BMW land, it looked less refined than the XRt.  Prices for add-ons are even more extreme than Triumph.  The GS has a mechanical knob to move the windscreen which seemed odd since it does have a keyless gas cap - big miss on the Triumph.  I'll test it out next week.  I'm most interested in the electronic suspension since when it is keyed on, but not moving, the rear suspension acts like it has no damping (ESA suspension).  With the key off the front suspension feels like it is locked up.  Not sure what is going on there.  I'll give an update next week.

Recent Topics

nonskid