Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bicycle? Death trap more like it!  (Read 1082 times)

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Bicycle? Death trap more like it!
« on: July 14, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »
So in February I decided to take up cycling again to get fit and save me money on the commute to work.

On 18 April I was cycling to work in Manchester and the bin lorry (garbage truck) was in the cycle lane so I had to go around it. Crossed the tram lines but my angle was too acute and the tyre was wet from having gone through a puddle! Front end slipped away from under me, I thought I had saved it only to come crashing down.

So after many many years of riding motorbikes (and crashing every other week as a 17 year old) I finally have a big accident and it is at 7mph on a bl00dy push bike!

Anyway, one surgery later and 9 weeks later I am back on the Tex but unable to ride the bicycle. Driving the car is also painful. Took some private physio for a couple of weeks just to get some ideas of things I should be doing and NHS physio starts on Tuesday.

Anyway, moral of the story is getting fit is overrated and painful  :008: I'll be back on the bicycle tomorrow to try and do a round the block to see how it feels and then see what the physio says about getting back on full time.

Of course, when my wife posted on FB to let friends far and wide know almost everyone thought it was the Tex I had fallen off. A few 'motorbikes are dangerous, a friend of a friend had a friend who blah blah blah on a motorbike' posts but she soon cleared up that misconception  :192:

I tell you, I felt 33 not 53 in the months before the accident. Then I got back home after surgery; boy did those missing twenty years quickly find me!  :151:

Attached a couple of pictures for fun.

Ride safe everyone, no matter what your mode of two wheeled transport!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:29:48 PM by moggi1964 »
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Bicycle? Death trap more like it!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 04:55:50 PM »
Ouch... My brother-in-law has been a life-long cyclist and vocal critic of my motorcycling. He is now 67 years young. He does a lot of touring on his bike and has ridden extensively in Europe. In the late 90's while commuting home from work, he was chased by a dog and ran full-ahead into a parked car, leaving an impression of his face in the windshield.

In 2008, on the first day of a multi-week tour of Poland, he got a bee sting on his lip and consequently high-sided his bike, shattering his femur and collarbone spending the summer in a wheelchair once he got home from Poland. Lately, he seems to fall off somewhere every summer; faceplant after trying to brake with the front wheel on a highspeed downhill turn; faceplant while riding down a rocky slope on a west coast trail camping trip; etc.

He gives me a hard time about how dangerous riding a motorcycle is. When I point out that he is riding downhill at similar speeds, wearing nothing but spandex and a styrofoam beenie he gets 'grumpy'.

Personally, I hate riding a bike in traffic on public roads and refuse to do it. I am willing to meander down a dike trail on occasion but if I am on a public road I want to be riding something that allows me to keep up with the traffic flow.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 06:55:35 PM »
consultant would never make a joiner (carpenter)...screws not straight and ones to long :008:
I work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes....

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 07:24:28 PM »
Took me a while to spot the fracture, but oh yeah it's there !   :169:

Ouch... !

Offline isb

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Hell
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »
Ouch! Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you’re getting back in the saddle. I sold my road bike a number of years ago due to many roads being in a horrid state of disrepair and motorists who are either actively hostile or welded to their dumb ass (arse) phone. Mountain biking is my first love. I’ve had plenty of spills (as has my wife - she even managed to break her neck!), but it’s not due to innattentive trees jumping out onto the trail. We did both get gravel bikes this last year as we have many gravel roads around us. They are much nicer to ride scenically and have far fewer cagers, travelling much more slowly. Gravel bikes are basically road bikes with more vertical compliance for comfort (some even have mild suspension), a bit larger/grippier tyres (mine has 40mm wide vs. typical 23mm road tyre) and disc brakes. It might be a bit more robust and less likely to slide out for the riding you want to do. My gravel bike will also take a narrow mountain bike tyre on a 650b (27.5”) rim.

Hope you have a speedy and complete recovery.
Cheers, Ian

There are two kinds of people in this world. Those who think there are two kinds of people, and those that don't.

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:03:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by belpas [+]
consultant would never make a joiner (carpenter)...screws not straight and ones to long :008:

Yeah, I figured he just picked it up and thought 'Good enuff!'  :001:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 07:04:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Admin [+]
Took me a while to spot the fracture, but oh yeah it's there !   :169:

Ouch... !
Apparently I have one around the back too. As if one's not enough  :164:
Moggi

Bruce McLaren

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Oldish Git
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 10:53:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Ouch... My brother-in-law has been a life-long cyclist and vocal critic of my motorcycling. He is now 67 years young. He does a lot of touring on his bike and has ridden extensively in Europe. In the late 90's while commuting home from work, he was chased by a dog and ran full-ahead into a parked car, leaving an impression of his face in the windshield.

In 2008, on the first day of a multi-week tour of Poland, he got a bee sting on his lip and consequently high-sided his bike, shattering his femur and collarbone spending the summer in a wheelchair once he got home from Poland. Lately, he seems to fall off somewhere every summer; faceplant after trying to brake with the front wheel on a highspeed downhill turn; faceplant while riding down a rocky slope on a west coast trail camping trip; etc.

He gives me a hard time about how dangerous riding a motorcycle is. When I point out that he is riding downhill at similar speeds, wearing nothing but spandex and a styrofoam beenie he gets 'grumpy'.

Personally, I hate riding a bike in traffic on public roads and refuse to do it. I am willing to meander down a dike trail on occasion but if I am on a public road I want to be riding something that allows me to keep up with the traffic flow.

Tell me you greet him by saying 'How ya doin' Faceplant?'

Gotta admit I miss the lack of protection we have in our bike gear when I am on the bicycle. Gravel rash hurts no matter how you get it!
Moggi

Bruce McLaren

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 01:07:45 AM »
Was, sorry to hear about your accident, moggi! That certainly stinks. It's great to hear you're on the mend though. Well wishes & prayers for your complete healing, bro.
Jon

Offline Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
Was, sorry to hear about your accident, moggi! That certainly stinks. It's great to hear you're on the mend though. Well wishes & prayers for your complete healing, bro.

:0461:  :821:

Cheers to a speedy recovery
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Recent Topics