Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitted new clutch today; journey into the unknown.  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Fitted new clutch today; journey into the unknown.
« on: July 15, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »
Having turned 30k, had 3 owners and me being a learner I figured that what the heck, I'd put a new clutch in. I wouldn't say that it was exhibiting signs of clutch wear, but as I have posted previously my gear changes are sometimes awful. I swapped to 15w/50 oil and things improved but once really warm especially in this current hot weather, it's pretty poor. Now I have worked on vehicle all of my adult life; mostly large 4x4s swapping gearboxes, fitting clutches and rebuilding diffs and so on but bike are new territory for me. So it was not without some uncertainty that I started out. I'll stick some pics at the end.

Mechanically there's nothing to it.  Cover off, take clutch plates out, fit new plates, put cover back on and refill the oil. Tah dah! Well it wasn't quite so straightforward. The first issue was getting the central clutch nut off. By the way, along with the plates, gasket and oil, buy a new nut as this will need staking and you can't do that with the old nut.

I watched videos where special tools were used to stop the clutch turning, listened to people who put it in gear and used the back brake to hold the engine which were all very valid, but I just used my Milwaukee impact gun. That thing is a beast. It's so fast and hard that the engine never gets chance to move. Brrrrrrr- whiizzzz and it was off. If you don't have one then you'll have to do something different.

The clutch basket and discs all came out easy and keeping them in order wasn't difficult. all of the discs in the middle are identical but the two outer ones are different. BTW I bought a genuine clutch and gasket which rushed me £145.

In moving the basket, I managed to wobble the starter ring off. Well in for a penny etc. I thought I'd have a good look behind there. Again nothing really scary but you have to line up all the parts so that they mate up and allow the ring to slide back into the starter gear. That takes some patience and a calm head. Behind the starter ring plate I noticed a small chain. OK I said I was new at bikes. This had dropped off the sprockets. I understand it to be the oil pump drive chain. There was no tensioner at all and I am minded that perhaps a new chain might be in order. To put it back on it was necessary to take the roller bearing out of the sprocket, re engage the chain, then slide the bearing cage back in the middle to remove the slack. There seemed very little actual pre-load on this mechanism and it turned easily by hand.

Refitting was easy and it all went together without a hitch. New oil in and a quick test drive proved that everything was still working. It's not really helped the gear change issues in all honesty but the clutch does feel like a new one with much better power delivery though the gears. It's just sharper.

Inspection of the old rings showed that there was plenty of meat still on there but there was a little bit of scoring here and there plus a touch of bluing on a couple of the steel plates. Top and bottom of it is that I now have a new clutch so that's something less to worry about. 

This isn't a detailed 'how to' post. There's more to it than this and yes I did soak the new clutch rings in oil and clean the gasket face etc. I just figured it might interest some folk to know what's inside the cover.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Fitted new clutch today; journey into the unknown.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 05:03:59 PM »
Cool. Thanks for posting this.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 06:09:11 PM »
I can't believe the damn nut is £8. For a nut? Seriously? Not even Toyota would charge that.

One additional thing worth saying here is that when putting the friction discs back in, there are tabs that slide into the clutch basket to lock them in relation to each other.

Obviously the tabs line up and slide together with the spring loaded pressure plate. But, and here's the thing, the outer most plate sat in a different slot so it was offset from the others. Does that makes sense?

If you go back to the outer cage you can see the slots in the outer frame. The open slots are where the majority of the tabs sit and the shorter rounded end slots are where I found the outer plate engaged. I don't really see why this would make a difference but clearly it would limit the depth to which the first plate could travel. And that's the one that gets the pressure from the pressure plate. It's perhaps a stop that prevents the clutch wearing out completely including the steel discs. I'm still thinking this one through.

Offline supernac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 XC
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »
If you want to dive further into the transmission:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17129.0.html

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »
Regarding tab alignment, I guess that's where taking pictures prior to disassembly comes in handy.  :002:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Regarding tab alignment, I guess that's where taking pictures prior to disassembly comes in handy.  :002:
Great point  Captain and thanks Stillwobbling, great to see inside the thing and get your helpful commentary  :028:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
The trick is to remember to take a picture before it goes wrong. Knowing that it's about to go wrong is not a skill I have developed yet.  :164:
The first tab is definitely offset. I'm still working out why. I think it's effectively a depth stop. Something has to stop the clutch piston from popping out of the cylinder.

I did look at the rest of the thread on stripping the gearbox but then I came over all light headed and decided to go and do something less stressful.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 12:28:25 AM »
Some people are much more courageous than me, and gluttons for punishment.!
My clutch will get looked at if and when it exhibits troubling symptoms, not before.
And then I'll take it to the dealer and pay whatever the cost is.
I assume the 30k was miles?  At 65kkm when I sold it, my gen1 TEx had no worrying symptoms that I was aware of.  I'd expect that to continue for another 100kkm at least.

-I usually forget to take photos before disassembling something, then wish afterwards that I had.  Isn't it amazing how something apparently trivial can look so complicated when its in bits.
Nice photos BTW.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 07:28:58 AM »
Yes that was miles. The clutch wasn't stuffed but I was just eliminating the possible causes of poor gear shifting. And as I didn't own the bike from new I had no idea of its usage history of you follow me. I'm not venturing into the gear box. I know my limits. But as I said, I regulalry rebuild differentials, change clutches and so forth so working on brakes whether on a car or a bike is simple stuff for me. I have a fully equipped workshop with lathe, miller, welding and plasma cutting so I can always make my own tools and parts.

Having done one now I reckon I could a Tex clutch in 30 mins. It's really a very simple undertaking. What surprised me is how clean it was in there. Being a wet clutch, I figured that it would be pretty filthy but it wasn't at all. Barely needed a wipe. With the bike leant over on the side stand, I'm pretty sure that the oil doesn't even need dropping. I have to put a new nut on there this week (I didn't know I needed a new one at the time) so I will have to partially strip it again. This time I'll leave the oil in. I'll tray and take some more pics. Quite a few clutches don't need the middle nut removing. In fact I think the 800 is different. It's a shame because but for that centre nut, you'd only need an 8mm 10mm and a new gasket!

Offline supernac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 XC
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 05:53:13 PM »
No need to drain the oil, even on the center stand.

Recent Topics