Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Fitted new clutch today; journey into the unknown.  (Read 1007 times)

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Fitted new clutch today; journey into the unknown.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 05:55:02 PM »
Didn't think so. But I wanted to lean the bike to minimise any dripping of oil from the the cover onto my newly laid drive!

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »
Whilst the job's done and I didn't really need anything special to do it, I do like having the right tool. So rather belatedly, this arrived today. It's the clutch holding tool. Nicely made. I also ordered the four little rubber fuel hose blanking caps for the next time I take the fuel tank off. If I ever do ...

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »
It strikes me that there's a lot of bikers who don't fancy attempting their own maintenance and repairs and that's fine but just in case any one feels like giving this a go, here's some more detail. If you can change a car tyre then I'd suggest that as long as you have the tools, swapping a clutch is not a great deal harder. When I put mine in last week, I didn't know that the spindle nut needed replacing. So I reassembled it and ordered the nut. That came yesterday so I decided to swap it out today and take some more pics. I set the timer and got stuck in. Now I have no idea how much Triumph charge for this but the basic parts, nut, gasket and clutch came to £153 the tool was £30 and you don't need to change the oil in order to swap the clutch but of course you can.

I didn't need to swap the clutch out again, but I removed the whole basket just to allow the time factor in. It took me 45 mins exactly to strip and reassemble. Now, if I'd swapped the plates and cleaned off the old gasket it would have been an hour. It's one of the simplest jobs I've done. It might look daunting, but there's little if anything to go wrong.

So here's a quick guide for anyone with any experience on the tools. Save yourself a huge amount of cash (I'm guessing) and do it yourself. If you're local, pop round and I'll do yours for you.

Take off the plastic cover to expose the clutch slave cylinder. Remove the small securing bolts noting that the short one is the pipe clip. Pull out the unit and secure to your engine bars with a tie wrap. Pop out the grommet up to the right to allow the pipe to wiggle a bit more.

Next undo the 6mm (8mm head) cover bolts and remove the clutch cover. I have a whizzy gun which makes life so much easier. Get one.

This exposes the pressure plate

Undo the 5 bolts progressively. Once off this will leave you with the clutch springs. Take these off and put them in your bucket of bits.

Now you'll see the end of the spindle and the nut that needed replacing. So far there's just no way to have screwed this up.

Using the new tool (which I could have got away without) hold the clutch basket steady and undo the spindle nut,

which will look like this with a bit missing hence needing a new one.

I then used the tool to pull out the clutch stack in one go. NOTE. Here's the only bit that can go wrong. You need to push the outer section of the clutch basket, back and wiggle the plates out. If you yank on the whole thing, you'll do as I did in the first post and pull the outer basket off the spindle. Not the end of the world but you won't be done in an hour.

The clutch stack now slides out of the basket. You can clearly see the past friction plate is offset to the others in a different slot.

NOTE when you pull the clutch pack out there is a shim and thrust washer on the spindle behind it. Because of the oil, these may have adhered to the back of the pack. Just make sure you rescue them and slip them back onto the spindle straight away.

If you're going further then take the tool off, lift each plate / ring out in turn discarding the old friction plates and popping a new one in the set as you go - OK bin the old plates, put in the new ones but keep everything in the same order and orientation. There's two different rings one goes in first and one last. Just compare them before you start and you'll see which they are. The rest are identical.

Put it all back together, torque up the central nut, remove the tool again and stake the nut using an old blunt screwdriver or similar. Do not use a chisel. That's too sharp. Don't forget to soak your new plates in oil for a few hours.

I also smear oil on one of the gasket faces. I find that when you come to take it apart, the gasket tends to favour one side and is less likely to tear. OK so I am tight.

Good luck!

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 04:59:29 PM »
Would love to see the above posted in the How-To section.   :002:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/board,20.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 05:06:59 PM »
If there is a mod who wants to edit it a bit and stick it in there feel free. I don't mind. Being still quite new here it's hard to gauge the level of interest and ability sometimes so I have posted this with someone in mind who has a set of tools and some idea of basic spannering. There's all level of ability I know from Mark who wrote the workshop manual to people asking which way to turn the key in the fuel flap.

I'd never done one of these but with my years of experience and some You Tube stuff it really wasn't hard. I'm still not taking the gearbox out though. I also did the swing arm today. Man that really WAS easy. No excuses for not getting that greased. I did ponder tapping it and putting in a grease nipple.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2018, 07:28:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
I'd never done one of these but with my years of experience and some You Tube stuff it really wasn't hard. I'm still not taking the gearbox out though.
Remember that the shifter mechanism is separate and accessible behind the coolant overflow bottle on the left-hand side of the bike. If you need to change out the selector shaft it is relatively simple and does not require pulling the entire gearbox apart.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2018, 07:47:33 PM »
I might look into that at some point. I'd love the shift to be as sweet as it used to be.

Just been out and changed the final drive oil. Figure it hadn't been done since 10k. Looked to be in good condition but there wasn't much of it. 

Recent Topics