Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Can adventure pannier lids be swapped over?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
Can adventure pannier lids be swapped over?
« on: July 16, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »
It's the plastic silver and black ones I'm talking about, which I think Triumph calls the Adventure panniers (the metal ones being the Expedition panniers).

The pannier lid on my right pannier is cracked, and I had been thinking of swapping the lid over with another one if I can get hold of one (see here for more). However, it looks like the hinges are riveted into the plastic. Does anyone know if that's the case? If so I would presumably have to drill them out carefully and get the right size rivets to re-mount a lid.

The other option is to replace the whole pannier and swap the locks over, but they're rather expensive. Mind you getting hold of just the lid might not be feasible.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Can adventure pannier lids be swapped over?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 06:50:49 PM »
If that is the case, then getting new rivets is probably the easiest part of the job. If you use a 4mm drill, say, then you need a 4mm rivet and then you just need to measure the thickness. Rivets come in just about every size conceivable and you don't need to buy 1000 at a time.  I suspect getting the lid might as you say, be the Unicorn. Could you not have the lid plastic welded by someone who fixes bike fairings?

Offline Dilbert

• Explorer Pro
  • Yes, it's me
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Holmes Chapel
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:07:06 PM »
Not sure about plastic welding, I think they're ABS, which I don't think works, but maybe worth checking with someone, a spare lid will probably be rarer than hen's teeth, but you might drop lucky on a crashed one that has an Ok lid, but that seems unlikely.

I've had some success filling the crack with GRP bonding agent and sticking a GRP mat on the inside, but that won't work if the lid is double skinned, which I suspect it is, looking out of the window at work at my topbox, may be worth trying to fill the crack with Araldite, or similar, might look messy, but functional, waterproof and that's what pannier stickers are made for (sand the repair down smooth first)  :038:

I'll never be old enough to know better !

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »
Having done some dismantling, I can now answer my own question. The lid can be removed by taking out the screws that hold the black trim on the lid (from the inside), which then reveals nuts that hold the lid on to the hinges. Take those off, and the lid lifts straight off. The metal (aluminium?) trim with the Triumph logo can also be removed after taking off that black trim - give it a gentle tug to pull it from the double-sided it's held in place by.

I will also soon have an uncracked lid to replace it with, thanks to a generous forum benefactor.  :028:

Recent Topics