Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacing throttle body “rubbers” difficulty of DIY  (Read 299 times)

Offline Jkboots

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 tiger explorer
  • City / Town: Michigan
Replacing throttle body “rubbers” difficulty of DIY
« on: July 17, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »
How hard is it to replace the transitional rubber sleeves that join the throttle bodies to head? 2012 TEX with 36,000 miles runs great after valve adjustment but I noticed cracks in the left cyl 1 Boot. I put some silicon gasket sealer on just in case. New rubbers are only $20 each so next valve adjustment I would like to replace them.

Also...I turned key on with tank off and got a P0460 code. Will that code clear in memory or does only the Dealer tool do that? MIL light not illuminated.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Replacing throttle body “rubbers” difficulty of DIY
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jkboots [+]
Also...I turned key on with tank off and got a P0460 code. Will that code clear in memory or does only the Dealer tool do that? MIL light not illuminated.
Check here for the freeware equivalent, called Tiger Tool:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17202.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Online supernac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 XC
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »
Its pretty straightforward to replace the inlets, you were most of the way there doing the valve check. There are three hose clamps that you will need to loosen, a few plugs and the throttle bodies pop right off. Stuff some paper towels in the intake to prevent bolts\dirt from dropping into the motor.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 05:13:27 PM »
Replacing the inlets should be pretty straightforward. The tricky bit is to actually get to the screws to loosen the hose clamps. Be careful putting them back on again -make sure they're seated right and the throttle bodies are pushed all the way in

Recent Topics

nonskid