Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Replacing throttle body “rubbers” difficulty of DIY  (Read 537 times)

Offline Jkboots

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2012 tiger explorer
  • City / Town: Michigan
Replacing throttle body “rubbers” difficulty of DIY
« on: July 17, 2018, 03:48:05 PM »
How hard is it to replace the transitional rubber sleeves that join the throttle bodies to head? 2012 TEX with 36,000 miles runs great after valve adjustment but I noticed cracks in the left cyl 1 Boot. I put some silicon gasket sealer on just in case. New rubbers are only $20 each so next valve adjustment I would like to replace them.

Also...I turned key on with tank off and got a P0460 code. Will that code clear in memory or does only the Dealer tool do that? MIL light not illuminated.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Replacing throttle body “rubbers” difficulty of DIY
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Jkboots [+]
Also...I turned key on with tank off and got a P0460 code. Will that code clear in memory or does only the Dealer tool do that? MIL light not illuminated.
Check here for the freeware equivalent, called Tiger Tool:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17202.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline supernac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2014 XC
  • City / Town: Springfield
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »
Its pretty straightforward to replace the inlets, you were most of the way there doing the valve check. There are three hose clamps that you will need to loosen, a few plugs and the throttle bodies pop right off. Stuff some paper towels in the intake to prevent bolts\dirt from dropping into the motor.

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 05:13:27 PM »
Replacing the inlets should be pretty straightforward. The tricky bit is to actually get to the screws to loosen the hose clamps. Be careful putting them back on again -make sure they're seated right and the throttle bodies are pushed all the way in

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 05:29:48 PM »
I'm a bit late for this discussion, but in case anyone else cares: the hose clamps have 3mm Allen head bolts on the bottom side. To reach the middle one, take off the cover of the coolant header tank (not the tank itself). Use a 1/4" 3mm Allen socket on the end of a 12" by 1/4" extension. You will need a light source, and you have to push a few hoses out of the way to see the bolt, but once you know it's there the job is easy.

Recent Topics