Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TSAS in combination with progressive springs?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
Re: TSAS in combination with progressive springs?
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 01:55:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dilbert [+]
Interestingly when I went on the Factory Tour last Friday I got chatting to the guide, when I came out and checked his bike, a 2014-2015 Explorer like mine it was covered in Maxton's stickers, ok not the 2016 on with TSAS, but not exactly a shining endorsement fro Triumph suspension as a whole  :028:

My previous bike was a 10 year old 1050, and the best mod on it was decent suspension. Basic is one thing, but they were also too soft. When I made the mistake of taking the T1200 out for a test ride I got back and raved at the staff, including the line "...and decent suspension! How long have they been doing that?"

The chap looked a bit put out and said "They've always had that haven't they?". I put him straight, that no, they had not.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
It is measured and set sure but why would it change once you are under way? OK if you change the load sure but that is not something you do mid ride.
Sure thing.
The preload is set once (at startup if I remember correctly).
While riding, if you select a different soft/firm ratio, I believe it's the damping that's corrected. If it was not the case, I'd find a lower/higher bike when stopping at a redlight.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 03:45:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]

While riding, if you select a different soft/firm ratio, I believe it's the damping that's corrected. If it was not the case, I'd find a lower/higher bike when stopping at a redlight.
Agreed, that's exactly what is happening. You can also set the default level of that damping, per rider mode, in the setup as oppossed to Triumphs default setting which is very handy. As I am on the heavier side each of my rider modes has an extra notch up on the damping side for solo riding. When two up or loaded I can then just add a little more from the dash as you mention.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 04:57:41 PM »
Agreed, that's exactly what is happening.
Do you mean that when I make the suspension firmer while riding, I should notice the bike being higher when I stop?

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »
No no, not at all.i was agreeing with you.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:40:15 PM by XCaTel »

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 08:29:17 PM »
Triumph blurb as follows:

models with the addition of the ground-breaking Triumph Semi Active Suspension system. This allows the rider to electronically control the adjustment of the front and rear suspension damping, automatically adapting the rear shock absorber pre-load settings to reflect the terrain being covered and providing optimal grip and drive in any situation.

The system uses an inertial measurement unit which incorporates 3 gyros and 3 accelerometers to continuously measure the bike's roll, pitch and yaw as well as longitudinal & lateral accelerations. The chassis central unit then uses this information, along with suspension position, swing arm position, wheel speed sensors, brake pressure and twist grip, to calculate the damping settings. All designed to deliver an engaged, confidence inspiring ride.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 08:48:18 PM »
OK, the first paragraph is regular stuff yes, no surprises there. It measures and sets preload for your regular rider modes, if you are in an off-road rider mode it does the same but lowers the rear end for a longer rake more suited for off-road riding. The second paragraph I don't dispute that is the blurb BUT (and I could be wrong) I think this is where the bike believes it has gone off-road because of all those measurements and actively changes the damping to a more off-road setting, i.e. softens it up. I have seen my bike do this on a particularly rough back road on the Wild Atlantic Way and I wondered what the hell was going on. Having said all that it just set the damping to the pre-set off-road setting, it was not changing it dynamically for those perceived off-road conditions. During normal riding, on regular roads I don't believe the TSAS is making any changes to the damping whatsoever. I really do believe that second paragraph is marketing speak and gobbledegook. I do stand to be corrected and will eat humble pie if I'm wrong!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 08:51:30 PM by XCaTel »

Offline Zeebad

• Explorer Member
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 11:18:26 PM »
Yep, it's open to some interpretation to be sure. I'd be interested to discover the full extent of what's really going on (or isn't) too. For example, I VERY much doubt the bikes have any actual gyros.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:20:18 PM by Zeebad »

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
gobbledegook
That's what I like the most about this forum: I learn a new word everyday ;-)
BTW, is it much different from gibberish?

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Zeebad [+]
For example, I VERY much doubt the bikes have any actual gyros.
They have gyros (the inertial unit requires them).

Recent Topics

nonskid