Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How long does your OEM Tex battery normally last?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: GS (prev Explorer)
Re: How long does your OEM Tex battery normally last?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 07:10:37 PM »
I've owned my Explorer from new for 3 years, covering 26000 miles, and the original battery is still going strong. I normally, but not always, leave it on a battery tender.

Offline FL_Explorer

• Explorer Master
  • Never take a laxative & a sleeping pill together
  • Bike: '14 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Dade City, FL
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 08:34:33 PM »
2014 model purchased new in August 2015, still the OEM battery, never seen a charger, 28,000 miles. It’s whole life has been in central Florida.
Ride safe, and ride often!
Keith

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2020, 03:34:12 PM »
Well my Jan 2018 XCa is just getting a new battery today at its 2-year service, it's shot. Having trouble holding and taking a charge and dealer confirms it on his gear too. Optimate tries to "save" it if it has not been attached for a couple of days. Triumph warranty on the battery is only 12 months so that’s a bit of an arse, I’m going to have to fork out for a new one.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2020, 04:32:23 PM »
Confirmed: the Mk1 batteries are huge and more or less undepletable (I just checked this word I thought I had invented and it actually exists ;-).
Lots of electrical gears on my two Mk1s, sleeping outside in the winter (the bikes, not me) and never had any single ghost of a trouble.
That is a total of 6 years and roughly 100,000 km.

My current Mk3 (just like I suspected, considering it is smaller than the good old ones) is another matter though...

Online NH

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Muttley the Explorer
  • City / Town: Tonyrefail
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2020, 08:46:18 PM »
Original battery on my gen 1, almost 6 years old and still as good as day one. Never been charged or on an optimate.
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2020, 10:27:03 AM »
Mine lasted 4 years, 36,000 miles.
It lived on an Optimate charger in my garage.
About right I think.
There again I just traded in my BMW 330d at 11 years, 198,000 miles and that was on its original battery!

Phil  :152:

Offline Graham Keeton

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer&Street Twin
  • City / Town: Barnstaple
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 01:16:59 PM »
I've had my 2012 from new and the battery is still going strong - I keep it on an Optimate when not being ridden, as I do with all my bikes. I've had a fair few bikes in my 40 something years of riding and only had problems with the battery on my Honda CB250K4 back in 1976 which was totally my fault.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 06:55:58 AM »
*Originally Posted by NH [+]
Original battery on my gen 1, almost 6 years old and still as good as day one. Never been charged or on an optimate.
Same here. 2013 model.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2020, 12:25:13 AM »
Got mine in April of 2012. The OE battery is still in it & turns over like a new one.  :152:
Jon

Offline DetroitTiger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Bloomfield, MI
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 09:04:30 PM »
Going on my 4th riding season with the new battery the dealer installed in my used 2013 TEX when I bought it in 2016.

In general, MC batteries, like car batteries, are one of those items whereby you can get a good one, or you can get a bad one.  It may not be affected by your maintenance routine. 

Also had 2 Harley Road Kings (2000, 2012--still have this one).  I got 8 years of life out of both HD OEM batteries (sold the 2000 in 2008 with the original battery still in it, just replaced the OEM battery in the 2012 this off-season).  I live in Michigan and store my MC's in the unheated garage.  It gets pretty cold out there in the winter, up to -14 degrees F.

I too subscribe to the "don't cook the battery" theory of keeping a Battery Tender plugged in all winter.  I only plug it in roughly once a month/2-3 times during the off-season, and only leave it plugged in for as long as it takes for the green light to come on the charger.  If it's stays plugged in for a few days, I don't worry about it.

I've also heard people swear by leaving their bikes plugged into the Tender at all times.  Some of them get as many years out of their batteries as I get out of mine.  But I just can't see how it's "good for the battery" to go through non-stop charging cycles. 

I'm going to stick with my method since it's been so successful for me (8 years of life out of each Harley OEM battery).  My 2013 TEX battery is still going strong into it's 4th riding season).       

Recent Topics

nonskid