Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Wearing a hole in my driveshaft! - Gen 3 exhaust, check yours now.  (Read 3008 times)

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Just a note for Gen 3 owners to check the exhaust bolt clamp just forward of the centre stand. While out for a spin today (first pic) I noticed my centre-stand was not sitting on the rubber stop at all on the right hand side. Looking at the opposite side the stand has been wearing away the shaft drive housing as a result. The whole rear section exhaust and silencer had worked itself back a centimetre. The rear end can mount bolts were tight but it only seems to support the end can rather than actually clamp it (very poor). That leaves the whole rear end exhaust positioning reliant on the join with the front section of exhaust, one clamp. The clamp was untouched and my exhaust has never been removed. I am pretty sure the packing is being compacted as the join is taking so much of the holding force, loosening the connection and causing the issue.

Check out that join on yours today and nip it up if necessary. I don't know if this shaft drive housing damage is just from a 200km jaunt today or something more longer term, I have only just noticed it.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:28:42 PM by XCaTel »

Offline Rowey68

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 xrt
  • City / Town: Bath
Re: Wearing a hole in my driveshaft! - Gen 3 exhaust, check yours now.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 10:58:25 PM »
I also had the same issue which I discovered when experiencing excessive engine heat, my dealer got triumph to agree to replace damaged end can center stand etc unfortunately that never happened as my bike has been written off since my accident
 My dealer also told me that triumph had issued a memo to all dealers to check exhaust connection etc
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:01:36 PM by Rowey68 »

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »
Thank you.  Checking very soon.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:04:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rowey68 [+]
I also had the same issue which I discovered when experiencing excessive engine heat, my dealer got triumph to agree to replace damaged end can center stand etc unfortunately that never happened as my bike has been written off since my accident
 My dealer also told me that triumph had issued a memo to all dealers to check exhaust connection etc
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 04:02:06 PM »
I don't think I quite understand.  I get the exhaust part moving back but how did that throw off the center stand or at they two different issues and one caused you to notice the other?

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »
All one issue. The exhaust includes the bracket with rubber stop for the centre stand. 2nd pic. When the exhaust slides back the whole rear section exhaust becomes loose which allows it to swivel outwards pulling the rubber stop out of the way. Either another clamp point is required or the rear silencer clamp needs to solidly lock it in place rather than just support it. That would help take the strain off the joint that failed.

Offline Falcon1220

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 07:36:44 PM »
Great write up. Thanks.
I have a gen 1 but has noticed that my main stand is hitting the shaft drive. I will have a look to see if my gen 1 is doing the same as described.

Offline thumper

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: '18 XRt
  • City / Town: California
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 08:50:08 PM »
My Gen3 did the exact same thing ~8 weeks ago.     And here I thought mine was an isolated incident. 

There is another rubber bumper on the left side of the center stand, which should bump against the drive shaft--mine had fallen off and I had to order a new one.   Yours appears to be gone also.    It's only about half as tall as the one on the right/exhaust side.       

(Note:  My bike's sitting on a towel so as to not scratch my garage floor.   Yes, I'm That OCD.    :006:  )

The part # for that piece is:   T2081928

« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:32:45 PM by thumper »
ATGATT--Because if you crash, the world is your belt sander.

Online glenn389

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Rawdon
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 09:04:44 PM »
Here's another on my Tiger 1200. Exhaust worked loose at the clamp from the headers before first service. It was scratched where the silencer stay/bracket had started to rub. Exhaust replaced by Triumph. The rubber bump stop on the center stand had gone missing and marked the driveshaft. This has been replaced and the driveshaft painted where it was damaged.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 09:46:58 PM »
You’re right lads, it’s gone too! I didn’t know there was one there, cheers.

Recent Topics