Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Longer shift lever  (Read 1289 times)

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Longer shift lever
« on: July 24, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »
Has anybody out there installed a longer shift lever? If so, which one did you buy?
With my lower and more forward rider pegs, my shift lever is a little short for my size 13 (48) boots.
Looks like a couple more inches (50mm+/-) would do the trick. I did buy the IMS shift lever which I could have lengthened but that would cost way more than buying new, I'm thinking.
This really is a first world problem ;)

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
Re: Longer shift lever
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:04:52 PM »
Yep. I just made one. Really simple. I am sure that someone locally with a lathe could copy it. I carefully removed the swage off the back of the peg and removed it from the lever. I then removed the rubber sleeve from the peg. I made a new longer peg and slipped the sleeve back on. I drilled and tapped the peg 6mm so that it could be secured back into the lever.  Took no time at all and works well with my massive feet.
 I also added some footpegs from an 800 too. Cheaper than the ones for the 1200

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:12:48 PM »
I tried an SW Motech adjustable lever but sent it back for a refund - see https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17268.0.html for why...

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys.
What I'm looking for is a longer lever itself. The position of the current stock lever hits high up the top of my foot instead of closer to my toes. Obviously if I slide my foot back it helps but it's not how I usually ride.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 08:15:03 PM »
The SW Motech lever is longer than the stock one, with the ability to move the toe piece (whatever it’s called) anywhere along the length of it. It’s just that it’s more restrictive in spline position (so height) than the stock lever.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 08:16:02 PM »
Ohhh, the arm. Right. I gotcha. Can't you just move it round on the splines for a better fit? That's all I did.

Offline Nutter

• Explorer Master
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 05:01:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
Ohhh, the arm. Right. I gotcha. Can't you just move it round on the splines for a better fit? That's all I did.

The SW Motech one? It can be moved on the splines, but not to all the same positions as the OEM one - have a look at the video in the thread I linked to and you'll see what I mean.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 08:24:44 PM »
I went with one from Hammerhead designs. It was a bit of a job to mount because the bolt holding it on the shaft was installed from the top rather than the bottom, but I got it to work. Oder one to fit a '95 Yamaha YZ250 with a 15mm offset & rubber boot. The shifters were redesigned after I bought mine with the bolt coming through from the bottom, so they should be a snap to install. BTW, I also wear either size 13 or 14 boots, depending on the brand.

Jon

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 10:42:40 PM »
Jon
Thank you for that. Pictures do tell the story.
I noticed you are using the K&L pegs as well. I have the K&L Mega oversized pegs, there great.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 04:23:40 AM »
 :028:
Jon

Recent Topics