Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Armor failure  (Read 437 times)

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Armor failure
« on: July 28, 2018, 07:16:50 PM »
Pulled an older Hein Gericke mesh touring jacket out of the closet recently (due to high temperatures) and noticed that the armor in the shoulders and elbows felt lumpy. Discovered that the armor had totally failed, broken into pieces.  :005:

The picture shows how it looked when I extracted it. The jacket is in perfect condition and has been used very little over the past few years. It was stored in a cool, dark place. Went straight out and bought some new D3O armor for it.

If you have an older favorite jacket, take a moment to check your armor!
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Re: Armor failure
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:54:52 AM »
Yikes!

Good thing it had already broken apart and wasn't waiting for an impact to do so. How old was the jacket?

Perhaps there is value in replacing armour like we do our helmet based on a time/mileage consideration.

D30 is good stuff  :028:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 06:58:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by moggi1964 [+]
Yikes!

Good thing it had already broken apart and wasn't waiting for an impact to do so. How old was the jacket?

Perhaps there is value in replacing armour like we do our helmet based on a time/mileage consideration.

D30 is good stuff  :028:
I bought the jacket about 8 years ago. I've probably used it an average of one trip a year since then.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »
I have armored gear way older than 8 years, rest assured I'm checkin' it.
THANK YOU!!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:19:54 AM »
If you find that you need replacements, the D3O stuff is readily available at retail places and online. It is lighter and more flexible than many OEM pads.

Recent Topics

nonskid