Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Sena SC10u problems with wind noise.  (Read 637 times)

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Sena SC10u problems with wind noise.
« on: July 30, 2018, 06:01:50 PM »
I recently purchased two Schuberth E1 helmets for my Wife and myself. I also fitted them with SC10U units for Intercom and GPS purposes. They work fine with the GPS but the intercom is a disaster.

The main issue is the Mic's picking up background wind noise from the vents in the front of the helmets. It is really really loud to the point that for me as a rider it is a serious distraction. I am on the verge of giving them back but if anyone has any hints or tips as to how to fix this I would appreciate hearing from them. I have tried various and many settings and at best have only managed to reduce the noise slightly.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: Sena SC10u problems with wind noise.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:30:23 PM »
I'm interested in responses as well.
This is exactly why I haven't gone with the headsets, other reasons as well but noise is #1.

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:33:23 AM »
I recently got a new Neotec 2 with built-in Sena (it's not a SC10u but I'd guess similar). I was rather surprised the mic was so far off-centre. Reading your post makes me think that's to keep it away from any air vent noise? Despite being to one side of my mouth it still picks up my voice fine. Is your's adjustable? Maybe move it more to one side?

I had big problems with wildly different volumes of intercom & satnav.  I can't remember exactly how but I did turn one volume down, or the other one up, so they're now the same volume & clarity. On the Sena website  there's much better user instructions than the minimal info that came in the box. I think there's also an online facility to make adjustments if the unit's connected to your computer with USB. For some Senas there's a phone app as well so you can make changes when out & about.

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 10:32:24 AM »
Me and the other half bought Schuberth C3 Pro's with SC10U's. The chin flap and neck seal block most of the wind noise. The muffler that goes over the mic helps too, are you using that?

The only time wind noise is an issue, is if I'm on a naked bike doing stupid speeds. Then wind noise is all we can hear.

Saying that, the C3 Pro is famed for being a really quite helmet, which is one of the reasons we got them. No idea what the E1 is like.

What's the gap like around your neck?

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 06:03:21 PM »
Ok, many thanks for the responses above.

Everything was tried that I and the shop could think of.  I have the Control App on PC and phone. The extra sock was applied on the mic and indeed I put on the finger of a rubber glove over that again with a small hole at the inside of the mic, all to no avail. Various settings and combinations were used. Turning off HD intercom  reduced the interference but also reduced the quality of sound. I took my lower cuff off the helmet in the current weather as it was simply too warm with it on. That in itself shouldn't be affecting it to the extent that it is on my helmet. However the sound seems to be coming from my Wife's set and She still has the cuff on. On the E1 the mic is part of a fixed switch unit to the left side of the helmet and affixed to the left cheek piece. Its position cannot be adjusted.

The shop then took both helmets out on the road to test for themselves. They found the problem exactly as I did despite their own adjustments. They also have the same combination of helmet and intercom but not the same issues I have. In the end they removed the intercoms from both helmets and have returned them to Schuberth for testing.

I am awaiting their return and assessment. I will keep y'all posted. No issue with the shop by the way. They have been without fault in the matter.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »
Final update on this issue. The Sena units have been gone for six weeks. Nothing back from Sena one way or another so I have no idea what the problem was. I am told by the shop that the last they heard the units had gone back to Germany. The Shop has decided to refund my money and I have ordered a Cardo Packtalk Duo from them as a replacement. Needless to say this is very poor customer service from Sena/Schuberth.

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 08:27:42 PM »
Removed the Sena 10U from my Shoei Neotec because of battery problems. No way to change the battery  :182:
Removed the Sena 10U Pad from my HJC IS-17 because it restricted/stiffened the collar so much that it made it very painful to put the helmet on.
Also the buttons were to small to activate with gloves on.
So I went back to the old SMH10 and 10S I had in house.

Offline knuttt

• Explorer Member
  • Mad, bad and dangerous to know - I wish! :)
  • Bike: TEX - '15 Plate
  • City / Town: Sutton Coldfield
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 07:18:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
Final update on this issue. The Sena units have been gone for six weeks. Nothing back from Sena one way or another so I have no idea what the problem was. I am told by the shop that the last they heard the units had gone back to Germany. The Shop has decided to refund my money and I have ordered a Cardo Packtalk Duo from them as a replacement. Needless to say this is very poor customer service from Sena/Schuberth.

Will be interested on how you get on with the Caro, have similar problems with pillion wind noise using a cheaper Sena unit, I had assumed it was because of tubulence sitting back there, getting so much wind noise back through my headset it's unusable...
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Arnold 'ACE' Rimmer

Offline nuttySweeet

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
Is anyone else using the SC10U with a C3 Pro? My experience has been completely polar to everyone else's. Battery life has never been a problem, even on long trips. We can hear each other perfectly and when I get called on the phone, people have no idea I'm riding my bike unless I accelerate quickly.

They say it fits earlier models but it was probably designed and optimised for the C3 with the other models as an afterthought.

Recent Topics