Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2020 Harley Davidson Pan America ADV bike!  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Slaine

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Lippstadt
Re: 2020 Harley Davidson Pan America ADV bike!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2018, 06:06:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
If that engine is derived from the V-rod, it is probably the finest motor that HD has ever produced. Sadly, did not migrate into their touring products and lacked the vibration and noise and crudeness that HD customers demand.

And not forgetting it was also designed by Porsche! So yes it was good.

Online Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
 :0461:
I was surprised that when Buell wanted a modern engine for the 1125R they went to Rotax when a derivative of the V-Rod motor might have been possible AND avoided buying in engines from outside HD.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2018, 05:02:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
:0461:
I was surprised that when Buell wanted a modern engine for the 1125R they went to Rotax when a derivative of the V-Rod motor might have been possible AND avoided buying in engines from outside HD.
Perhaps politics were at work. HD would have probably refused to let them have access to it, for reasons of their own. HD dealers hated both the Buell line and the V-rod and wanted both gone.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 06:13:37 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
If that engine is derived from the V-rod, it is probably the finest motor that HD has ever produced. Sadly, did not migrate into their touring products and lacked the vibration and noise and crudeness that HD customers demand.

It isn't anything to do with the V-Rod design.  It's based on the all new M8 engine.  I've ridden one of these in the new Street Glide and it's a far cry from anything produced to date by Harley.  Smooth, powerful (to ride...trust me) and a lot lighter and quieter than previous engines. Still part watercooled like the V-Rod but a different beast.  I found low speed fuelling a little snatchy and it lacks the low speed character of the air cooled Vee Twin motors which had loads of grunt from tickover plus sounds no-where near as good. This one needs a few more revs to wake it up and uses a lighter flywheel so spins up quite quickly.

I've owned a few Harleys in amongst Blades, RSVRs and other sports bikes so at least am part qualified to comment.  The first was a '90's sportster which was an unmitigated pile of rubbish. The last was a 2017 Sportster 1200 which was light years better (handled surprisingly well and great fun to ride at sane speeds) had loads of work done to rid it of strangulation (EU and Californian regs don't suit that engine!).  80ft-lbs of grunt from nothing and about 75BHP. Not earth shattering but enough for decent progress and with more character and grunt than a pig fed on beans.  I quite liked that motor (which by the by is about as bomb-proof as motors get, unlike Harley's other big twin engines which don't fare as well).  I didn't like the lack of brakes, ground clearance or awful rear suspension common to most pre-M8 bikes.

The new M8s are a new breed of Harley.  They don't feel like Harleys should imho...they feel like a modern take which ironically are much much better in the handling and performance stakes, but with that, they've lost the character of the slower air cooled engines and with that, the reason for owning one.  By trying to compete with modern machines from other marques, they almost succeed in their touring range but no-where else. VFM ?  No, not by a long shot. By producing a so-called sports bike and adventure bike, they'll not be anywhere close to any of the competition again just imho. That adventure clone looks like it comes from the '70's. Flat narrow seat promises torture after 50 miles, and small tank = regular pit stops. It looks poorly thought out. The engine, I've no doubt, will be good. Early reports are that its proving to be a reliable lump (as were the sportsters and older 1340 Evos). Those banding about insults about break-downs and oil leaking etc sound like they've never owned or ridden one. They're more reliable than BMW twins, cheaper to own and the riding experience is generally great fun if you calm the speeds down and get what they're all about.  Personally, I wouldn't own another as the purchase costs are now silly high for what you get and in trying to compete with contemporary class machines....well, touring bikes aside, they simply don't.  They'll need to try a lot harder for that off-road bike and as far as their sportsbike goes....not a hope of competing against even a 10 year old true sportsbike.  Stick to cruisers and touring bikes and they do well.

Online FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2018, 10:53:13 PM »
My next door neighbor bought an M8 107 full dress tourer a few months ago....beautiful bike. Hasn't burned any oil as of his first 7,000 miles.
Tomorrow they are heading up to Canada from here in So Cal. Upon his return, I'll let you know how it went.

Recent Topics