Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Brittany, July 2018  (Read 421 times)

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
Brittany, July 2018
« on: August 02, 2018, 03:22:07 PM »

Great road, very quiet everywhere. Lovely beaches. Superb small fishing ports. Plenty of room in all the campsites.

The last photo, although it's hard to spot, is of Honda Goldwing with a dog in the top box, head sticking out. Hope he stayed put.

Worst bit? Being washed out of my tent when the weather broke and the rain lashed in from the Atlantic. Had to decamp to the local Routiers hotel. Quelle domage!

Highly recommended. Easy for me: Plymouth ferry is only 25 miles away and then a six hour trip over the channel to Roscoff.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline TEXICO

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Kent
Re: Brittany, July 2018
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 11:26:40 PM »
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to bike/camping/walking trip to Wales in September. My bike will look similar to yours :)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
Great pics. Brittany is so lovely with wonderful towns and villages, all so clean, the people are laid back and friendly too. I've probably visited that region of France a dozen times in my life and have always been very lucky with the weather. Did you get to St Malo, Dinard & Dinan, my favourites? Mont-St-Michel, just across in Normandy is not to be missed too although you have your own not too far away, St Michael's Mount off the Cornish coast.

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:07:32 PM »
I used to go there back in the early 80's on my Z550; me and the girlfriend. Stayed close to St Pol de Leon and want to Nantes; Dinan and Dinard and enjoyed the hospitality.

Once we arrived soaking wet and stopped at a little logis; the owner was an old lady and her husband. Spoke to English and my French was limited but they agreed to out us up. The husband had me park the 550 in the tiny kitchen to keep it dry and the old lady worked around it like it wasn't there. Beautiful place and wonderful people!
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline TotnesSteve

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer Xrx
  • City / Town: Totnes
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
Great pics. Brittany is so lovely with wonderful towns and villages, all so clean, the people are laid back and friendly too. I've probably visited that region of France a dozen times in my life and have always been very lucky with the weather. Did you get to St Malo, Dinard & Dinan, my favourites? Mont-St-Michel, just across in Normandy is not to be missed too although you have your own not too far away, St Michael's Mount off the Cornish coast.

No, stuck to Finisterre, which is the western-most "county" (?). Partly because i didnt plan a route at all, just came off the ferry and let the bike pick its own route. So i covered the north coast, down to Douarnenez and the Crozon peninsula. With hindsight, a bit of planning might have been better. But i hadnt been there for 30 years so i was happy to wander.
--------
If not now, when?

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 10:47:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by TotnesSteve [+]
No, stuck to Finisterre, which is the western-most "county" (?). Partly because i didnt plan a route at all, just came off the ferry and let the bike pick its own route. So i covered the north coast, down to Douarnenez and the Crozon peninsula. With hindsight, a bit of planning might have been better. But i hadnt been there for 30 years so i was happy to wander.
Well it will still be there next year so there's plenty of time.  :028:
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Recent Topics