Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tyre pressure  (Read 2355 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline MRSNAKE7

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Topic Author
  • Posts: 4
  • MRSNAKE7
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XC
  • City / Town: Great Yarmouth
  • Country: Great Britain
Tyre pressure
« on: August 04, 2018, 07:59:48 AM »
Hi Guys, I have a Tiger 1215 Explorer, and what tyre pressures would you recommend for road use mainly solo riding with no extra weight like panniers and top box? Is this also depending on the manufacturer of the tyre?
We all make mistakes, that's why they put rubbers on pencils.

Offline Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1060
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »
Front 36psi
Rear 42psi
Then adjust to personal preference if necessary.

Offline vsteel

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 323
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
  • Country: USA
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 03:26:17 PM »
Triumph seems pretty consistent on their tire pressure across different manufacturers.  I have also noticed that they changed the recommended tire pressure when they changed tire sizes.   The larger size:

120/70 R19 = 32 psi
170/60 R17 = 39 psi

I have played around some and I find that the 32/39 for the sizes above work out good.  If I run the front much higher it tends to cup.  Lower it effects handling. 



Offline ijinak

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 704
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
  • Country: USA
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 03:30:50 PM »
I've always used 36/42 like it tells me in the handbook

Online Benchmark

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
  • Country: England
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 04:31:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by ijinak [+]
I've always used 36/42 like it tells me in the handbook

Not what it says in mine.


Online CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4247
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Benchmark [+]
Not what it says in mine.


As noted above, the OEM recommended Gen1 tire pressures are a bit higher. I also stick with 36/42.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline gufazi

  • Explorer Member
  • **
  • Posts: 41
  • Bike: 2017 XCx
  • City / Town: Springfield, VA
  • Country: USA
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 05:08:05 PM »
My experience:

My Gen 2 XCX handbook says 36/42, as well.  I followed that religiously for the first couple thousand miles and the OEM tires wore like poo (squared back, triangle front). Almost all my miles were fully loaded, touring miles.

I changed them to the 33/39 for next few thousand miles, and they wore better, but the damage was done.

I'm on my second set of tires (now Michelin Pilot Trails) and I'm sticking with 33/39.  After a 1000 miles, they are looking great, whereas the OEM tires were already showing irregular wear.  Of course they are different tires, but I think the pressures had a hand as well.

Offline Jon

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 6378
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
  • Country: USA
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2018, 05:22:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by gufazi [+]
My experience:

My Gen 2 XCX handbook says 36/42, as well.  I followed that religiously for the first couple thousand miles and the OEM tires wore like poo (squared back, triangle front). Almost all my miles were fully loaded, touring miles.

I changed them to the 33/39 for next few thousand miles, and they wore better, but the damage was done.

I'm on my second set of tires (now Michelin Pilot Trails) and I'm sticking with 33/39.  After a 1000 miles, they are looking great, whereas the OEM tires were already showing irregular wear.  Of course they are different tires, but I think the pressures had a hand as well.


After having my OE front Metzler wear so badly, I went the other direction. My original front cupped & wore the inside & outside of the tire so badly that it looked Like I had been running 20 PSI in it. I'm running 40 pounds front & rear now and the Shinkos I've been running are wearing perfectly. I've got around 8,500 miles on the current front & it still looks like new.
Jon

Offline Will Morgan

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 1060
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
  • Country: United Kingdom
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2018, 05:59:29 PM »
The handbooks were always specific: for Gen 1 36 & 42, and for Gen 2 32 & 39.
But there was some confusion 'coz the illustration used for TPMS was the same for both.
So RTFM don't just look at the pictures!

Offline Hawkeye

  • Explorer Master
  • ****
  • Posts: 806
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
  • Country: England
Re: Tyre pressure
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 06:47:01 PM »
*Originally Posted by Will Morgan [+]
The handbooks were always specific: for Gen 1 36 & 42, and for Gen 2 32 & 39.
But there was some confusion 'coz the illustration used for TPMS was the same for both.
So RTFM don't just look at the pictures!

 :460: :0461:

As Will says, use the right pressures for the model Tex you have  :152:

@gufazi - not sure what handbook you have but mine doesn’t say 36/42 (except in the pictures) which for a Gen-2 is incorrect. 32/39 as shown in the body of the text are the recommended pressures for a Gen-2 (and I double checked with a Triumph themselves).

 


Recent Topics

nonskid