Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Euro Assist / Breakdown Cover  (Read 584 times)

Offline Tex66

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Durham
Euro Assist / Breakdown Cover
« on: August 06, 2018, 04:21:01 PM »
Hi folks, hope this is in the correct section, admin please move if so.

Im off again on a 'lap' of europe, holland, germany france, swiss, italy, slovenia (if poss) then heading back thru austria, germany holland and home. Anyone had encounters with breakdown recovery etc ... in the past ive used greenflag .. well not used but been insured thru them gladly not having to use their services :-) there seems to be a lot of recovery services now, Im looking for a single trip policy for me, the better half and bike ... tia

Tex (yes that is my nickname of over 30 yrs lol )  :305:

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
Re: Euro Assist / Breakdown Cover
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
Some bike insurance policies include breakdown cover e.g. Carole Nash

If your bike is under 12 months old, you have European breakdown cover from Triumph via RAC

If you need to buy a standalone policy then Startrescue https://www.startrescue.co.uk/ is where I have gone after my Triumph cover expired. I have the annual policy that costs £57 for a year. This covers me in Europe and UK. Single trip policy also available.

You will need a separate policy to cover you and the spouse for medical etc. Getgoing is very good value and there are no exclusions relating to using a motorcycle as your main transport https://www.getgoinginsurance.co.uk/ - they have very good cover for those with pre-existing medical conditions.

Also, make sure you both have an EHIC card - check expiry date if you have one. These are free and will reduce any insurance claim, maybe eliminating a policy excess if it is used. Free to get at https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/travel-health/how-do-i-get-an-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:24:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Villager [+]
Also, make sure you both have an EHIC card - check expiry date if you have one. These are free and will reduce any insurance claim, maybe eliminating a policy excess if it is used. Free to get at https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/travel-health/how-do-i-get-an-ehic-european-health-insurance-card/

I wish insurance companies were that nice.  :164: :164: :164:  No, they insist that you have the ehic as that part of any claim will not be covered as you should have had the card and then the policy excess is deducted against the rest of the claim
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Tex66

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 12:06:06 PM »
Thanks Villager great advice ... I already have the EHIC cards for us both, and we're covered for travel insurance via my bank who have no problem covering us as long as weve informed them we're on the bike  ... I'll check out your reccomendations too ... Thanks again  :460:

Offline Villager

• Explorer Pro
  • 2017 XRx
  • Bike: 2017 XRX
  • City / Town: The Village
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 10:22:24 PM »
*Originally Posted by mjab [+]
I wish insurance companies were that nice.  :164: :164: :164:  No, they insist that you have the ehic as that part of any claim will not be covered as you should have had the card and then the policy excess is deducted against the rest of the claim

depends on the policy - I have only claimed once when my 9 year old son slipped when playing football and had to have his arm checked out in A&E in Spain. I had to pay the policy excess to the hospital but Fortis (now Ageas) refunded this when I ticked the box to say I had shown my EHIC to the hospital. They also refunded the cost of the pain relief medication I had to pay for. Not bad for a "free" policy from Co-op Travel on a package holiday. 

Offline Buzz

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 11:23:36 PM »
Hi
I paid £56ish for 16 days cover with Greenflag this summer. Unfortunately I had to use it after breaking down in Carcassonne in the south of France. All the main British breakdown companies seem to use a central European breakdown centre, because during various phone calls they referred to themselves as Greenflag, AA and RAC. They had to repatriate the bike to Scotland, and they reimbursed the £700 I paid to carry on the rest of my holiday in a hire car ( that did take a wee bit of negotiating, car hire was expensive because I wanted to drop the hire car off in a different country ).
No complaints with Greenflag. Money well spent.
You only find out how good a company is when it all goes wrong.
Hope your holiday goes without a hitch.
Buzz

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
I'm with ADAC. German based outfit. It's 84 Euros per year and covers you not the vehicle. It included repatriation too. They don't have any vehicles themselves, they use native suppliers in the country you break down in. I know someone who broke down on the continent and the AA turned up to recover them. They have English speaking customer service reps.

Recent Topics

nonskid