Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Observation on 2017 TEX XRX engine heat  (Read 801 times)

Offline Traxx

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2017 XRX 1200
  • City / Town: Fort Worth
Observation on 2017 TEX XRX engine heat
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
Yesterday during a short 350mile trip from North Texas to Central Louisiana you would think that I would get some of that excessive engine heat. I did but I didn’t. So leaving at 0 dark 00 (firstlight) and 80f and highway speeds of 70 to 80ish mph. Not that much heat. Stop and fuel up and back on the road. I was getting a lot of wind noise so I moved the wind screen from low to high to get in the bubble. Its getting warmer about 90ish f. Well, the boys are getting toasty and my inner thighs. This is gonna suck I still have 200 miles to go. What changed? The wind screen.....Sooooo, I put the windscreen back in the low position and I can feel a little breeze on the boys and inner thigh. No way, back up with the windscreen and the breeze disappears. Down again and breeze and the boys cool off. Damn, now I got to pull over and fix my earplugs.
Just another observation, I pulled the hand guards off and unzipped the cuffs on the jacket. It inflated and had a nice breeze flowing through the jacket.
By the end of the ride mostly in the lower to mid 90s f I was a little sweaty but doing good.
Discuss, debunk or just say “Hi”
Tread lightly my friends.

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Re: Observation on 2017 TEX XRX engine heat
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 12:40:44 AM »
Hi.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:20:20 AM »
A good illustration of additional variables that can affect perceived heat on a TEX.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline bigfoot2222

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: Maryland
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
2017 XCA here and the wind management on this bike is greatly improved coming from an 800xrx.

I just removed the windscreen so I could get some air on me while riding because I was sweating to death. Another member on here is talking with his local dealer and triumph about his heat as he thinks it’s excessive. He mentioned his seat after an hour riding was at 136f (57c) which surprises him.

I went for a quick ride yesterday in 90f (32c) with high humidity and once I returned home I felt my tank and seat. Both were hot to touch with the seat feeling a little bit hotter. I could here the fuel bubbling or boiling, couldn’t tell but it was making some racket.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 03:48:31 PM »
We are in the middle of a heat wave here. I have been commuting to a job site in a mix of highway, city and heavily congested (stop and crawl) traffic. I recently set my seat to the high position at the front (left the rear low). I am noticing more heat in the crotch area as a result. I attribute this to the gap between seat and fuel tank.

If I decide to leave the seat in this position, I may add a piece of soft insulation to lay under the front of the seat to block this air flow.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline bigfoot2222

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 XCA
  • City / Town: Maryland
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
I concur on your findings with the seat configuration. I too have the seat configured that way and will be trying different solutions to mitigate the transfer of heat.

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 04:33:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by bigfoot2222 [+]

I went for a quick ride yesterday in 90f (32c) with high humidity and once I returned home I felt my tank and seat. Both were hot to touch with the seat feeling a little bit hotter. I could here the fuel bubbling or boiling, couldn’t tell but it was making some racket.

yes, i was a bit surprised, never had a bike that heated the seat like that. i owned a 2013 trophy, same motor, and it didn't do this. i do get concerned when i can smell vaporized fuel cannot lay my hand on the tank. just saying  :169:

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:40:30 PM »
My Sprint ST1050 I had for 7 years from 2005 had the Catalytic converter in the end of the can under the seat. No need for a heated seat option on that bike. In 2007 Triumph moved it to the connecting pipe under the engine
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Chippy4467

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Midsomer Norton
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 08:32:56 PM »
If I decide to leave the seat in this position, I may add a piece of soft insulation to lay under the front of the seat to block this air flow.
Capt,
see my post in other heat related thread:     https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17249.170.html

I personally would not block under the seat

Chippy
Chippy

Dream big, get things done and change the world
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.......

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Chippy4467 [+]
Capt,
see my post in other heat related thread:     https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17249.170.html

I personally would not block under the seat

Chippy
In my case, I suspect that the opposite may be true.

Recent Topics

nonskid