Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 2018 Tiger 5K oil report  (Read 471 times)

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
2018 Tiger 5K oil report
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:38:17 AM »
Here is the first oil analysis after my initial break in oil change.    Wanted to see how things looked at 5K before I tried the full 10K.   I still don't like how hard the oil is shearing out of grade, it is getting down almost to a 20 weight.  They don't seem to think it is an issue but I don't know why going out of grade isn't more critical.  I have seen many other reports where they say don't worry about it.  Maybe as long as there are no wear metals there isn't an issue no matter what it shears down to.   I do also need to see about how they put an 800 in when I wrote 1200 on the sheets, don't know if that is a typo or will change the numbers.  I used Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T Motorcycle Oil ‑ 10W50 which is the same as the power RS, just marketing differences.   The slightly offset formatting was from my conversion program PDF -> .JPG

Online Zeebad

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 1200 XCx
  • City / Town: Stourbridge
Re: 2018 Tiger 5K oil report
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 11:26:11 AM »
Thanks for this. I know plenty of people recommend changing the oil more frequently than recommended, but I'll be watching your actual scientific evidence with interest, to see whether they are being sensible or profligate.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
Interesting that moly is three times higher than average. As a lubricant, that can't be good for the wet clutch, or am I reading this wrong. What are the units of measure?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Big_Mac

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Graphite TEX
  • City / Town: Brockton
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 08:58:58 PM »
That is interesting.  The shop my bike was in recommended I run a 20W50 in the summer to help with the lower pressure problem.

Wonder also in the oils are not as durable as needed for the 10K change.  I am doing it annually any ways.  Especially with the easy bake oven mode our bikes run in.
Big Mac

2013 Graphite Explorer

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 01:59:26 AM »
OK, I got an updated report that did change things a little.  When I contacted them to let them know about the mistake I also asked a couple of questions:

Why is shearing out of grade this bad not anything to worry about? 
Is the grade not important as long as the wear metals look good?

The reply I got back was:

Sorry about the mistake on the displacement. The paperwork just listed a 2018 Tiger, so we took a guess. The engine being a 1200 will make some difference to the report, but it won't make for a bad review of the engine. The 1200's actually make a little more copper on average than the 800's.

We don't view a thin viscosity by itself as a problem, and most bike engines tend to shear the oil below grade during normal use. That process does not cause the engine any harm, and it's not a sign of a mechanical problem or some deficiency with the oil you're using.

Here is the updated report

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 04:08:24 AM »
OK, how did the "universal average" of molydenum go from 19 (first report) to 41 (second report)? My guess at the meaning of "universal average" was all bikes? Or just all 1200 Triumph Tigers?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
OK, how did the "universal average" of molydenum go from 19 (first report) to 41 (second report)? My guess at the meaning of "universal average" was all bikes? Or just all 1200 Triumph Tigers?
My understanding is the universal averages come from all of the tiger 1200 owners who send in oil reports.   Based on the oil used those numbers are going to move around some.   

When I tried Shell Advantec 5w40 (special made for motorcycles) in a different bike it had moly up to 125, so it does jump around some in motorcycle oils.   I don't think moly is an issue until the numbers get higher. 

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 03:41:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by vsteel [+]
My understanding is the universal averages come from all of the tiger 1200 owners who send in oil reports.   Based on the oil used those numbers are going to move around some.   

When I tried Shell Advantec 5w40 (special made for motorcycles) in a different bike it had moly up to 125, so it does jump around some in motorcycle oils.   I don't think moly is an issue until the numbers get higher.
OK, thanks. I would suspect, then, that their sample size is actually pretty small.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 03:46:23 PM »
This is all above my pay grade and security clearance.
The more you know, the more you worry ;)

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 11:51:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by FredJ9 [+]
This is all above my pay grade and security clearance.
The more you know, the more you worry ;)

Naw the numbers and data are exciting!!!  I am actually looking forward to my 7500 mile oil change to see how it looks.  :125:

Recent Topics

nonskid