Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Garmin Zumo 550  (Read 766 times)

Offline TC

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 900 800 1200
Garmin Zumo 550
« on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:34 PM »

Hi. Has anyone else had a problem with their Zumo 550 and a recent update? I used mine this year through Spain and France without issue. When I got home I went to load next years route but it said there was an update available so naturally I accepted. However, ever since the update the unit freezes every time I use post coded or intersection. Garmin say that this item is now unsupported and they can do nothing!!!!!!
If its unsupported how come they updated it? How come they messed it up but do not feel obliged to rectify the problem? I love my 550 and do not wish to change it. Can anyone help please :003:

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
Re: Garmin Zumo 550
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 06:03:44 PM »
This happens a lot with any smart device including my phone..accept an update and phone goes sick :012: remove update and phone is better...ime having a bit of a mare atm with my so called updates for life on my TomTom..problem is i cant update the device from there supplied software as my 2016 laptop wont support..yes a 2006 running 10 :172:
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:20:12 PM by belpas »
I work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes, i work, i ride bikes....

Offline Hawk281

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: tiger 1200 2018
  • City / Town: Thousand Oaks, Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 06:07:18 PM »
there is a company that repairs them and also has a "fix" for the memory issues. He did mine and it worked for a while, but every update overloaded the system. I ended up buying a TOMTOM 550 rider new, for half the price of a garmin. If want that guys info, let me know and Ill dig up the reciept on it and send it to you. :084:

Offline T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer & 800XC
  • City / Town: English Riviera
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 10:27:37 PM »
I updated both of my 550s last month and so far no issues. I loaded the UK maps to the device rather than the SD card.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 04:19:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
I updated both of my 550s last month and so far no issues. I loaded the UK maps to the device rather than the SD card.
On my 550 I don't have any choice, I have to load to the device. The program won't let me load to the SD card. I have to jump through all kinds of hoops to install and copy and move my data files to the SD card because North American maps will not all fit on the 550 device storage.

To the OP, note that the 550 is pretty obsolete (at least 10 years old). I'm not surprised that it is no longer supported. Recently ran Windows Update on my Windows 7 laptop, which rendered my laptop unusable (would boot part way, then reboot and repeat and repeat. Had to boot from the original DVD to remove the offending updates.

Bottom line: they want you to buy a new device.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TC

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 900 800 1200
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 02:08:44 PM »
Thanks for the replies but I just cant believe a company can mess up a perfectly good devise and not be prepared to put it right! Just shows the times we are living in. I also think its a shame there are now effectively only two established companies in this market.

Any way - good biking to you all.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 03:47:51 PM »
BTW, you can access all of the system files on the 550 if you plug it into a PC. If you Google it, you will find ways of deleting system files and restoring or reinstalling original files. There is lots of info out there if you are so inclined.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Tigerman2012

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Essex
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »
The same happened to me with the 660. Garmin said the same thing - no longer supported so tough.
Tried the 595LM, but changed it for the 345LM. So far, so good.
I think that Garmin make older models fail after an update on purpose!
If the throttle is not wide open, and the clutch not disengaged, I'm not doing it right...

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 03:15:53 PM »
Firstly was it a mapping update or a software update ?  If it was a software update then there is always the option to refresh it.  A 550 however does not have sufficient capacity to accept mapping updates for all of Europe. Instead I only download UK and Ireland to mine on mapping updates. Then if I need to go abroad with it I remove those maps and put on the countries that I will travel to.

You should also check if your trip log is full. If it is it takes up a lot of memory. Clear it out and that will help. The various foreign language files will also take up a lot of memory and most of them can be removed. I removed MP3 from mine because that is not what I purchased for. All of these measures freed up memory on mine and that in turn results in it working much better.

550's are great little units and particularly good for offroading. One of mine is original 2007 and the other is a 2008. Both were updated last week with no issues and have the latest mapping 2019.1.  The 2007 is falling apart by now but still functions as long as I keep it waterproofed.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
I have tried various strategies to selectively split up the North American maps (including using the MapSource tools) between the internal memory and the SD Card, with various degrees of success. But ultimately, I found that I had to install a reduced set of maps on the internal drive, then install a full set to my PC hard drive, then delete the internal set directly using my PC to view the 550 files, then copy the full set to the SD card and restart the unit. There may have been other steps but anyway the full procedure is available if you Google for it.

There are also procedures for doing a full reset of the 550 if the problem is a system update.

My 550 has the additional issue of failing to turn on (especially if you have used the USB to upload a route). I have to carry a tiny hex key with me all the time because the only solution is to remove and reinstall the battery. Then it will start up.

Recent Topics

nonskid