Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Another Gear Position Sensor Question  (Read 172 times)

Offline SPTiger

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: '13 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: SUN PRAIRIE
Another Gear Position Sensor Question
« on: August 12, 2018, 11:23:19 PM »
Sorry for gettin' right after it here but I'm leaving for South Dakota in two days and have to get this bike back together. 

With many thanks to this site I was able to diagnose that I had a faulty gear position sensor (GPS).  I've purchased a replacement and they sent me the kit which includes a new flylead.  After some research I was able to figure out partially what that flylead connects to.  My question is have any of you dealt with this flylead when replacing the GPS? One site directed me to install one end of it to the throttle position sensor but I'm not sure that's correct.  The TPS on my 2013 Explorer XC contains four wires and the unaccounted for end of the flylead only has three.  Is it possible that this flylead connects to the sensor that is attached to the lower left hand portion of the air box?  That sensor has three wires like my mysterious flylead.  Hopefully I've attached a photo of the sensor I'm talking about.  Thanks for the consideration.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Re: Another Gear Position Sensor Question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 03:40:52 AM »
The OEM service manual shows a "gear position sensor" connected to the Engine Control Module via a two-wire cable (Black/White and Black/Pink). Also connected to the Engine Control Module is a "gear position switch" with a three-wire connection (Black/White, Black/Pink and Black). The all black connection would be a ground connection. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 03:42:52 AM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline vsteel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Boise
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 05:25:11 AM »
The issue you are having is that the older bikes had a gear position sensor that didn't include the stuff to have the governor kick in for 5th and 6th gear.    The original GPS sensors allowed full power in all gears.  The later replacement part is modified for all bikes.

I know because I went through this with my GEN 1, when I swapped out the GPS.  It did plug in but it didn't go directly in like the old one, they added a wire.  I am sorry that I can't recall off of the top of my head where it all goes.  All I can tell you is I had to scratch my head a bit before I figured it out.  I didn't have to mod it and it did plug in, just not exactly where the old one came out. 

Offline Mud Puddle

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2013 TEX
  • City / Town: Columbus, IN
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 07:45:25 PM »
Yes that is the correct connector.  I just did this change a few weeks ago.  Just unplug it and T in the new harness.

Recent Topics

nonskid