Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: TEx 2014 - cutting off the engine...  (Read 1112 times)

Offline biblo

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: TEx XC '14
  • City / Town: Warsaw
TEx 2014 - cutting off the engine...
« on: August 18, 2018, 07:52:27 AM »
At the beginning I apologize for my English, but I am using google translator  :018: I hope, however, that my text will be understandable for you ...

I have a strange problem with my TEx (2014, 44 thousand km) ... Well, it happens - sometimes very rarely (every few hours), and sometimes every minute (every minute) - that during acceleration, mainly after changing gear up or down, the engine is shut off ... as if I turned it off ... In addition, the traction control lamp lights up when the engine is shut off.

This is very unpleasant and even dangerous, because it occurs, for example, when accelerating after the start or during overtaking or during eg dynamic driving around curves. And in such a moment the total loss of power is quite dangerous. In this situation I have to completely release the right grip, wait a while and usually everything goes back to normal - the engine is working again. Although sometimes it also happened that it did not work with full power...

Interestingly, twice after turning the key, the traction control lamp was on immediately, and after entering the menu I noticed that it is in the OFF position. This is not normal, because when starting a motorcycle, TC is always on - even if it was switched off earlier.

I turned off TC, ABS (separately and together) and nothing changes, the problem occurs all the time. I was in the Triumph service, where they connected the computer, but the diagnostics showed nothing ...

Have you had this problem? Do you have any ideas?  :148:
Regards,
Jacek

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: TEx 2014 - cutting off the engine...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 11:11:03 AM »
I have heard of issues with stalling but mostly on tickover. Those issues were fixed by replacing the throttle body rubbers in many cases, but there were some obscure fixes also.

I have also heard of other issues with poor running that do not show up on the Error code list.  I suggest that You check all the main connectors on the wiring loom starting with those that You can reach easily. You may find that corrosion has become a problem due to water or moisture getting into the connectors. Also check for moisture in the main switches, particularly the kill switch.

Offline FredJ9

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: ‘15 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bakersfield, Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »
I'll be watching this......
Sounds dangerous enough to not ride the bike until corrected.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »
Just a thought. Check the wiring to the ABS/TC sensors also and the related connectors.

What was the last service of any type performed on the bike ?  Was it washed recently ?

Offline Massrider

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '14 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Central Mass
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:48 PM »
I would check the kickstand switch and its connector and wiring. A bad ground/earth connection somewhere will also cause odd issues.
 I agree with Fred - I wouldn't be riding it until it was corrected.

Offline biblo

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 06:36:22 AM »
Sorry for late reply…

Last and this year I drive a little, irregularly and mainly around the house (apart from a few trips of 200-300 km). I avoid driving in the rain. At the time there was no motorcycle service, but he was washed several times. It is difficult for me to link the appearance of a problem with a specific event ... At some moment, it just happened...

In fact, there seems to be a problem with cables or connectors. Maybe there is some corrosion somewhere ...

I do not do anything with the motorcycle, I only use the service. Unfortunately, there is a problem with this in Poland, because there are very few Triumph services. And really good is only one - 300 km from my home. Ttriumph is not very popular in Poland (as probably anywhere in Europe, outside the UK  :038: ), much less popular than Japanese producers or BMW. I have an appointment to leave the motorcycle for the winter for a very thorough overview of all elements.

But at the same time I drive carefully all the time, with the hope that the failure will occur permanently. In this case, the diagnosis will be easier  :018:

P.S. if you have any tips, please, write them here.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:38:14 AM by biblo »
Regards,
Jacek

Offline ijinak

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alaska
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 05:10:27 PM »
I had an old (1992) Trophy which did exactly the same thing. I'd be riding along and it would cut out at random. Sometimes after a mile, sometimes 50 miles. I'd just never know. It turned out to be a faulty ECU. I managed to get a used one which cured the problem. Not a cheap fix though.

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 06:38:36 PM »
How long does it take before you can restart the engine? A few seconds, or several minutes?

Offline biblo

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2019, 08:25:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by unsubtle [+]
How long does it take before you can restart the engine? A few seconds, or several minutes?

A few seconds...

I return to the topic, because the problem is all the time ...

In winter, the motorcycle was in service. A "big" maintenance was done and by the way the cables, connectors, etc. were checked. After the review, the mechanic drove about 300 km and then found that the problem is with the red engine stop-switch on the right handle. He cleaned it and for 1000 km it was OK. Now the problem is back! Cleaning this switch no longer helps. We've recently connected the cables together, but the problem persists.

As a rule, after warming up the engine, when starting off, gear changes are temporarily cut off the engine. I have to turn the right grip on / off and it's OK. Once again it happened that after turning the key the TC-off indicator was on…

I am asking for every tip! For the second year I can't go for long trip ...

I had various motorbikes, but unfortunately not as weak and perishable as Tiger. No more Triumph !!!
Regards,
Jacek

Recent Topics

nonskid