Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Poor man's tool holders  (Read 762 times)

Offline kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Poor man's tool holders
« on: August 19, 2018, 07:47:47 AM »
Having bought an aluminium toolbox and found it to be unsuitable, I've bunged some cheapies onto my T1200.
(Have previously put up a pic of the front one on my 2015 TEx.)

Below is a document holder, cable-tied to my engine bar.  There is also one on the other side.  I've used multiple cable-ties for redundancy, one of which goes toward the bike to stop it from rotating out.  I can still put my legs on top of the tubes, for a brief position change.  They get warm but not hot.  (Probably don't want to put the port in these front ones.)
If I sit right forward, my knees touch the tubes, so may not suit a real long person as shown.  (I'm 5'10".)

Below is a pair tied behind my Givi pannier rack.  Though they are tied to the rack, cable-ties go up to the frame, so the downward weight is taken by the frame, not the rack.

These tubes will hold heaps of things, eg: a bottle of port; a metal container of meths for my Trangia stove; my electric pump and Stop&Go tyre plugger kit (both in one tube); my Motohansa compact toolkit.  They are surprisingly roomy.
The downside of them is that they offer no security at all.  A thief could unscrew the lids and take the contents, or snip the cable ties and take the lot.
My tent will be just strapped on the back seat, so that is also unsecured.
I'm about to fill the tubes up to travel round Oz.  If I lose stuff, so be it.  I carry plastic.  My biggest loss would be the bike.
I think I'll be OK.
(BTW, can you tell I'm more interested in function than looks?)

These document holder tubes can be bought online from motorcycle sites, for quite a bit of money.  I bought mine from an agricultural store for AU$16 each.
4 x $16 + a handful of cable ties = cheap (like me).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 07:51:34 AM by kenw »

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
Re: Poor man's tool holders
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 09:20:22 PM »
I had investigated all these plus the cheap GS type boxes from China.. But decided I could make my own larger Capacity Box.. Its a Bit rough at the moment but after a coat of paint and some extra bracing it'll do fine.... Total cost  = Time..

Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline onthemayside

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Honda Varadero
  • City / Town: Craigavon
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:11:48 PM »
Was your cable/zip tie cutter in for a service the day you fitted these???  :164: :164:

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »
Naahh,,... Cable Tie Gun Vers 11.2 wasn't upto Aus Engineering Standards... waiting for Ver 12.1 release ... They say "Eminent".... Like we've all Not heard that before..  :087: :087: :156: :156:    :008:

So I had to make do .  I like over Engineered stuff. Like the Gen1 Explorer.

Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline eps

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2012 Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Preston
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 11:15:07 PM »
fab job - like all of these. Nice professionssl jobs. Mind you I did 2500 miles round Europe this summer and did n't even have my panniers on for 13 days  :002:

Recent Topics